PDA

View Full Version : Teething Questions...

mandye
05-10-2004, 01:11 PM
I think Hailey may be teething and I have a few questions.

1. Is tylenol or motrin better? Does it really matter? Any other remedies?

2. Is the screaming/crying only at night or does it continue throughout the day?

3. Is diarrhea associated with teething?

4. Will she be in pain until the teeth actually cut through or does it last even after that?

5. Should I expect this screaming with every tooth she gets?

6. How do I stay sane?

TIA

mandy

josephmama
05-10-2004, 01:59 PM
I can only speak for my DS...
Motrin hands down is better for him. Unfortunately, he tends to get ear infections with teething so I never know which causes all the discomfort or if it's both, but he will usually scream with an ear infection and just be cranky with teething. He might wake up more at night with teething or need me to go give him a pacifier a few times at night. The pain for him is before cutting teeth and during, then after only if he bites his finger or something. We've only got 6 teeth so far and so I can't speak for all teeth :) Hang in there! But if she's screaming you might want to rule out ear infection- but that's just my experience with DS.

momma_boo
05-10-2004, 02:34 PM
>1. Is tylenol or motrin better? Does it really matter? Any
>other remedies?

The motrin works better. I usually give Tylenol if she's just being whiny/clingy but bring out the big guns (Motrin) if she's screaming in pain. I've used the Hyland Teething Tablets which have helped to calm her down sometimes - bought us some time until the motrin kicked in.

>2. Is the screaming/crying only at night or does it continue
>throughout the day?

I think most of it was at night for us. Sometimes we pick her up from daycare and they'll say she had a screaming fit.

>3. Is diarrhea associated with teething?

For mine, if she was drooling a lot more, it definitely affected her. If she's especially drooly and has some nasal congestion (which she gets most of the time when cutting a tooth), she would get really gross, mucousy poops.

>4. Will she be in pain until the teeth actually cut through
>or does it last even after that?

For us, the worst was when it was just starting to cut through and then for a few days once it "emerged."

>5. Should I expect this screaming with every tooth she
>gets?

At this point, she's got 7 teeth with #8 on the way. I honestly thought she would be bad with each one but she hasn't. The first 4 were really bad. #5,6 and 7 came quite close to each other. She had two nights where she woke up screaming but that was it. #8 has been completely uneventful for now!

>6. How do I stay sane?

You'll get through it. It's hard. But think how much worse it is for your baby to go through!

I'll have to tell you, honestly, I am NOT looking forward to molars!

Imperia
05-10-2004, 03:05 PM
>I think Hailey may be teething and I have a few questions.

I think Maddy is also teething, so I understand your pain =D
I found some good info on teething at Dr. Sears website...

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/t106500.asp

and

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/t083000.asp

>1. Is tylenol or motrin better? Does it really matter? Any
>other remedies? From what I have heard Motrin (Ibuprofen) is better, however, I believe the child is supposed to be at least 6 months old before administering it. A lot of peopl egive Tyelnol and then if that isn't strong enough move to Motrin.

>
>2. Is the screaming/crying only at night or does it continue
>throughout the day?
>
Maddy is only fussy, not really "screaming" yet, so this can't help with.

>3. Is diarrhea associated with teething?
>
Yes, because they swallow a lot of saliva which can change the conistency of their stools. Nothing to worry about unless they get dehydrated.

>4. Will she be in pain until the teeth actually cut through
>or does it last even after that?
>
Haven't gotten this far yet =D

>5. Should I expect this screaming with every tooth she
>gets?
>
According to most people I have talked with: the first couple of teeth tend to affect the baby the most, and then the molars also can be hard. I think it's a on a baby to baby basis though.

>6. How do I stay sane?
>
Hang in there!

>TIA
>
>mandy

Marisa6826
05-10-2004, 03:06 PM
1. Is tylenol or motrin better? Does it really matter? Any other remedies?

Motrin without a doubt. Sometimes Hyland's Teething Tablets work too. You can get them at either Whole Foods or CVS. I made a little paste and would rub it on Sophie's gums.

2. Is the screaming/crying only at night or does it continue throughout the day?

Night was usually worse for us, although daytime wasn't a party either.

3. Is diarrhea associated with teething?

Sophie didn't really have this problem, but she didn't drool a lot either. I think the diarrhea is a side effect of too much saliva.

4. Will she be in pain until the teeth actually cut through or does it last even after that?

No, usually once the tooth breaks through, you're in the clear :)

5. Should I expect this screaming with every tooth she gets?

Some are worse than others. The molars are particularly nasty.

6. How do I stay sane?

Uh, tequila? Seriously, I found that a change of environment usually helped. Also give the Motrin around the clock, whether you think she needs or not till the teeth break through. It's when the Motrin wore off that it was most unpleasant for EVERYBODY ;)

Also, you can try the frozen bagel trick. Give DD a frozen bagel to gnaw on. A cold wet washcloth sometimes works too. Sophie never liked those refrigerated teethers, but I understand that they work wonders for some babes.

Good luck!!

-m