PDA

View Full Version : Let's talk...Vasectomy

stella
05-10-2004, 10:25 PM
I am at the end of the day with a killer migraine - went to the doctor and ended up with shots of fenergan and stadol after a medicine called relpax either didn't work at all or made me worse. It was a terrible day and I am remembering that last week someone posted that they were suspicious of their mini-pills for causing this.

I am so squeamish about having this happen again that I don't think I will take another pill.

So what does a vasectomy cost? Will it be covered by insurance? How long will the procedure take? Will it hurt (He will want to know this, I'm sure!)? What is the recovery like?

I don't know if I can talk dh into it or not, but I soooo tired of birth control (and I've only been taking it 2 weeks!!)!

I know that it's permanent (or you should at least presume it permanent) and that's fine because I have as many chldren as I can reasonably take care of.

Any advice or information???

candybomiller
05-10-2004, 10:58 PM
I can only talk about my family's experience with vasectomy, so take it with a grain of salt.

First of all, my husband did it without my wishes, so I'm a little (lot) bitter. It was covered 100% by insurance, we didn't even have a co-pay, but I think this varies by insurance company, so I would call your carrier and ask. The procedure itself took less than an hour. It didn't hurt me a bit, but dh was in bed for a day with rotating ice packs. He said it felt like someone kicked him there. He was up and about after a day, but probably should have spent an extra day recuperating. I found it quite amusing that our dog kept stepping on him, but I'm a vengeful person!

Best of luck talking your dh into it if it's what you want. If you have any more questions, ask away!

stella
05-10-2004, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the info. Since he did it without your blessing I'm thrilled that he missed out on an extra day of recuperating! It's the very least he desereves!! Sorry to sound so vengeful, but I'd be a little bitter myself if I were you!

Thanks!

toomanystrollers
05-11-2004, 07:30 AM
DH happily went LOL - our insurance covered it and his recovery was one day (Mr. Tough guy). The procedure itself was 12 mins. (Dr. timed it). And "everything" works just fine :)

AngelaS
05-11-2004, 08:05 AM
DH just had one about 10 days ago. He's doing fine. The first couple days he griped about the 'being kicked' feeling and now he gripes 'cause the scab sticks. But in reading about other's experiences, I think the dr. made a rather large incision comparitively.....

Our insurance is supposed to cover it, but we haven't gotten the bill yet. We were told $600 which we both felt was worth it! :D Also, the clinic we went to recommends you bring in a yearly sample for analysis and they will check it for free.

Karenn
05-11-2004, 11:48 AM
I'm one who felt like the mini pill was giving me migraines so I know exactly what you mean about not wanting to take it again! BC isn't an issue at the moment, but I have been wondering about what to do after number 2 comes along. Vasectomy is something we'll probably look into, but I know very little about it just yet.

Also, (and I know this isn't quite what you asked, but I thought it might help) when I was at my OB last week I mentioned my reluctance to use anything with hormones because of the migraine issue. She suggested Mirena (IUD). Even though it does have hormones, they suppossedly have much less of an impact on your system. There was an informative thread about this a couple of weeks back. To me, this option seems as effective and low maintenance as vasectomy, without the permanence. So if you can't talk DH into the big V, this might be another thing to look into.

stella
05-11-2004, 12:36 PM
thanks!!

dotgirl
05-11-2004, 12:57 PM
My husband is about to have one, so I've done a lot of research on it.

Regarding costs - of course, it varies from insurer to insurer, but the standard full cost is about $600. In our case (we have Cigna PCP), he pays a $30 fee at the office, and then 10% of the final bill - it should come to under $100 total. (Funny - my delivery of Riley was only $80 total, and you know it cost more than $600. But anyway!)

As far as procedure and recovery - if he can find a urologist who uses the cauterisation method, I highly recommend it. It's much less invasive, you get less swelling, it heals much faster, and it's got less chance of infection.

It's recommended that he have the procedure done on a Friday morning if possible, and he shouldn't drive himself. He'll want something cool to put on it afterward - usually a bag of frozen veggies like corn or peas are good - they conform to the area. I've also heard it recommended that he wear tight briefs afterward, so he should ask about that.

Jen in Chicago
05-11-2004, 05:12 PM
I immaturely have to giggle.... frozen veggies in that area.

AngelaS
05-11-2004, 07:39 PM
Peas on nuts? :D or chopped broccoli on nuts? :D (Oh the cracks I made at my dh....)

toomanystrollers
05-12-2004, 06:48 AM
LOL Angela!!!!!!