PDA

View Full Version : OT - The Restaurant w/ my dad on Tonight!! - UPDATE

MartiesMom2B
05-10-2004, 10:44 PM
**Flagger has posted pics from the show on this thread. ***

The show is actually on right now, but someone just called me and let me know that Rocco is at the CIA tonight so the show with my dad is on.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

mharling
05-10-2004, 11:22 PM
I just switched to it; there are only 15 minutes to go. :(

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
[link:www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b370a2992536|Birthday Pics!!]

MartiesMom2B
05-10-2004, 11:25 PM
Martie and I were on TV for a brief second when they shot to the audience. Of course I noticed how ugly I looked.

There were a lot of shots of my dad. He was the distinguished older man who was a student, aka "Ken". He's the one that stupid f'n Rocco said "Don't put the blame others to" What a jerk - I hope he loses his law suit.

Sonia

mharling
05-10-2004, 11:47 PM
Did you tape it? I missed seeing you!! And I'm positive you didn't look ugly; don't be silly!

Mary & Lane 4/6/03

Marisa6826
05-11-2004, 12:14 AM
Damn! I missed it. I forgot that it was on tonight. Was watching CSI.

Sorry :(

-m

heidi_timms
05-11-2004, 03:51 AM
Sonia,

I saw your moment of fame! How fun to get a flash appearance on TV :) I'm glad you posted. I was able to catch it because I'm on the West Coast. I wasn't sure which one was your Dad though. I noticed an older man with grey hair as a student and maybe that was your Dad?

I think that Rocco is a putz. He's too busy with his own life to run his restaurant. I didn't even thing that his speech was too inspiring seeing that his restaurant is going down the tubes.

~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

sugarsnappea
05-11-2004, 08:05 AM
I saw it! I missed seeing you and Martie, but I figured out who your Dad was.

MartiesMom2B
05-11-2004, 08:06 AM
Heidi:

The older student with the gray was my dad. You could see me when they flashed to the audience during the ceremony. Rocco's speech was actually much longer than they showed. He talked about flavor most of the time, I think it's because that's what his new cookbook is all about. I guess I'm not suprised by the amount of editing that they did. My favorite thing was that they showed that it was night at the CIA during the ceremony, and the ceremony was at 10:00 AM.

Mary:

My cousin Tivo'd it and I'm getting a tape.

Sonia

sugarsnappea
05-11-2004, 08:10 AM
Yeah, me too! He has never really impressed me. I only watched to see if your family was on.

papal
05-11-2004, 09:46 AM
DARN IT!! I missed it. :(
I fell asleep really early yesterday. :(
And Sonia.. there is NO WAY that you could have looked ugly.. i have now seen you IRL and you are Martie are both very beautiful. I loved your haircut!!

I hope they show a rerun!

houseof3boys
05-11-2004, 10:09 AM
I missed it....sniff sniff.

I can't believe I missed seeing your flash of greatness on the screen. Maybe I'll see it on the rerun!

votre_ami03
05-11-2004, 10:45 AM
I watched it, but didn't even realize this was the episode! I missed seeing you & Martie.

I know it's on Bravo too, I wonder if they show re-runs?

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

McQ
05-11-2004, 11:17 AM
I haven't watched it but I do have it tivo'd so I'll be sure to watch for you, Martie & your Dad. I actually have all the eps tivo'd but haven't watched any of them yet. I thought all last season that Rocco was a BIG TIME ass. He was so slimmy with all the ladies and such a jerk to his employees.

So sorry I missed meeting you & Martie when you were in town last week :(

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

mamahill
05-11-2004, 11:22 AM
I saw it! Yay Sonia's dad! And you looked great! And I am having a really hard time liking either Rocco or Jeff. Does it seem like they just talk in circles? And maybe they shouldn't care so much about the SILVERWARE and a little more on organization? And booooo Rocco for taking that jab at your dad. That was when I declared I officially do NOT like Rocco. What a jerk.

amp
05-11-2004, 11:27 AM
Leave it to DH to remember it was on and turned it on for me and asked, "Have you seen the one with the baby yet?" So we figured out who your dad must be and then when they flashed quickly to the crowd I said, "There she was! I think that was her!" He just thought I was picking anyone, but I said, "No, I've actually seen her picture online, so I'm pretty sure that fleeting glimpse was of her!" So, I figured I'd find out here today, and now I'm betting that was you, Sonia, since I saw that mentioned it here! Wish it would have shown more, but then again, that's 'cause we 'know' you! Very cool! And they showed your Dad several times!

MartiesMom2B
05-11-2004, 11:31 AM
It was me in the audience when Rocco's mom was getting some award. DH was upset b/c he wasn't looking at the camera, but at Martie and all you could see was his ear. Tee Hee.

My cousin said that he was going to try to figure out how to put Tivo images on the computer.

We don't get Bravo with our expanded cable so I don't know about re-runs.

I guess I should add that Rocco was very very nice off camera. And the editors only edited it so that he was snotty to my dad. Oh and the big smokey scene during the competition. That was my dad's chicken going up in flames.

Sonia

flagger
05-11-2004, 12:42 PM
Sorry I missed seeing you. I am sure I will catch it on the Bravo re-runs whenever they happen. I do remember seeing your dad after you posted who he was.

Gawd wasn't that painting hideous? Hope they hung it in the kitchen and it burns up in next week's fire. It seems like the set designer for Ghostbusters 2 is now painting Mama coming out of meatballs. I have expected it to come alive.

Nice continuity on the show too. Didn't intern Drew-morosa get the boot last time? What was he doing sitting next to Jeffrey during the test meal by replacement chef-whathisname.

The banana smashing...classic.

Will Rocco win an Emmy for his psuedo tears while looking through the window at the end?

Found an interesting article about Jeff and Rocco.

http://www.newyorkmetro.com/nymetro/food/features/n_10216/index.html

flagger
05-12-2004, 11:14 PM
Here is Sonia, Mike and Martie.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/5952.jpg

Edited to put a little better version. WIll look for shots of her dad later.

mharling
05-12-2004, 11:37 PM
Thanks Flagger!!!

Sonia -
Tell Mike that his ear looks fabulous. :P

Mary & Lane 4/6/03

flagger
05-13-2004, 12:54 AM
Sonia's dad

http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v187/flagger/martiesdad6.jpg

Meeting Rocco

http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v187/flagger/martiesdad.jpg

With the other "contestants"

http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v187/flagger/martiesdad2.jpg

Working on chicken

http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v187/flagger/martiesdad5.jpg

Flare-up in the kitchen

http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v187/flagger/martiesdad4.jpg

Her dad's look after being told by Rocco "Not to blame others"

http://img61.photobucket.com/albums/v187/flagger/martiesdad3.jpg

Edited because I should not post when really tired!!!

sugarsnappea
05-13-2004, 08:30 AM
Sonia, you look great!

MartiesMom2B
05-13-2004, 09:32 AM
Thanks for posting these pictures Flagger. That's actually my Dad not Martie's. My husband is looking at Martie in the shot with us.

I wonder what I was making a face at in my shot. Oh well. I've received that look on the bottom picture, many a time. Hee hee!

Sonia

MartiesMom2B
05-13-2004, 09:34 AM
I was sorry that I missed you too. I'll be up in that directions plenty more times.

Sonia

MartiesMom2B
05-13-2004, 09:49 AM
Mike appreciates what you said. Hee hee.

Sonia

papal
05-13-2004, 10:01 AM
Thanks for the pics! Now I am REALLY bummed that i missed the show! :(
Here is what i am deciphering from flagger's storyline.. Martie's dad is a student at the CIA... Rocco meets all the students to give them a lesson... Martie's Dad makes chicken but it gets burnt on the grill... Rocco tells Martie's Dad not to 'blame others' for his chicken and Martie's Dad wants to kick Rocco in his you-know-what... hahaha... i love that last look on Martie's dad's face... that says it all! That Rocco needs a beating.

ETA: Not Martie's dad you bozo.. it was Sonia's dad!!

MartiesMom2B
05-13-2004, 05:55 PM
Rashmi:

Here's a quick run down of what really happened. It didn't even appear this way on the show. They made it look like Rocco was going to the CIA to hire a line chef (which is not true).

-Rocco's PR wanted to have a culinary competition among the top graduates of the class, in which my dad was invited to participate in. The winner would have to work at Rocco's restaurant for 10 days - that was the stipulation if you agreed to compete you had to work there. There was a mystery basket of ingredients that was revealed at the competition. The basket included chicken, root vegetables, and haricot verdes (aka green beans).

-So competition is going away. Rocco moved up the time and announced that the meal had to be plated in 45 minutes, when my dad thought he had an hour. So my dad forgot to wipe away the grease of the chicken, which apparently is very important. So the chicken skin burned up. My dad was upset about his stupid mistake. My dad also complained about the camera men putting their camera on the cutting board as he was getting ready and he commented that the crew kept asking them to repeat things if the cameras missed something.

-So when my dad presented his dish, Rocco asked him what he thought of the vegetables. My dad said that he wasn't impressed by the selection, in which Rocco replied "Don't blame others". My Dad said to me "what's so exciting about green beans, however Rocco has a point in which if you are working in a restaurant and you are given certain vegetables. That's what you have to cook"

I've learned the magic of edigint.
Sonia

papal
05-13-2004, 06:19 PM
Sonia, so it was YOUR Dad, not your dh?? I am all confused!!!!

Wow, your dad is so cool to be going to the CIA and all... has he always been a chef or was this a recent interest??
And that Rocco has been edited to look like a total jerk.. but by the sound of his actions.. i think he might be a jerk in real life too...why did he ask about the vegetables if he did not want to hear an honest answer? And what has 'Don't blame others" got to do with it.. "Don't blame the vegetables" might make more sense.

Anyway, thanks for the recap... Martie is looking so teeny in that picture! :)

MartiesMom2B
05-14-2004, 02:24 PM
Isn't she a little girl now. LOL

Yes it was my Dad. Prior to quitting his job to pursue his dream he was a Chief Financial Officer for an Infertility Institute in Northern Virginia. When my mom's employers offered her a promotion in NYC, they took it and my dad quit.

Sonia