PDA

View Full Version : OT: ISO old or unwanted Verizon compatible mobile phone

himom
05-11-2004, 03:51 AM
DH, who has had a very bad weekend, lost his Verizon phone on Saturday. It's his work phone and they are under a contract, so he has to replace it with a Verizon-compatible phone. The company wants to charge him $150 for it, which is way out of our budget at this point.

Anybody have any suggestions on where else to look? I know that when people change phone companies they often have a leftover phone they have no use for, so I think we might try to hunt out one of those. We'll try ebay too. I'm wondering if places like Walmart or Radio Shack would have generic phones that may be compatible.

TIA!

Jodi
Mama to Josh, February 03

caleymama
05-11-2004, 08:59 AM
I have one I'd be happy to send you. It's the one DH and I had (we each had one - not sure whose this one was) prior to getting the ones we have now. We used it until last spring. It's a Motorola that was purchased at a Verizon Wireless store. I'm not sure of the model number and I have to look for the charger. I'll keep you posted and hopefully I'll find the charger when I look in a bit.

ETA: I found my original paperwork and it's the Motorola V120 C in black. I'm still looking for the charger.

ETA more: I'll check with DH when I talk to him later to see if he knows where the charger might be. In the meantime, in case I can't find it, I called Verizon Wireless and the charger for the Motorola v120e that's in stores now is compatible with the v120c that I have. The charger is on their website for $29.99. Also, I did a quick search on eBay for "Motorola v120c" and it turned up a lot of accessories. For example (I have no idea how reputable this business is) item #3095635962 is a car AND home charger for the v120c for $10 buy it now.

Final edit: Long story short, we don't have a charger for it. I was obviously having serious Mommy Brain this morning because I forgot that DH has a v120e phone. He just reminded me that when his home charger broke he tried the v120c one from our old phone and it worked, so that's what he uses. The charger for the other phone must have gotten misplaced in our move last summer because I can't find it anywhere. I did, however, plug in the old phone to DH's charger and it came on and appears to work just fine. If you find that this phone would be compatible to your plan/service, it's yours. If you need any additional information about it in order to figure it out, I do have the original receipt so I can look something up if you need it. Otherwise we'll keep it around as a spare as we've been doing (DH has a knack for leaving important things on top of his car and driving away). Just PM me.

dogmom
05-11-2004, 10:13 AM
I just went through this in January.

You need to find out if your Verizon network uses a GSM or TCDM (something like that) phone. Call a local Verizon store and ask them. Some companies used different networks in different places.

I looked on eBay for a phone, but I wound up calling all around to every Cingular store in my area. Eventually a manager sold me the same phone I had that was a display for under $100.

I do have a Verizon Motorola phone that is a prepay that I am currently not usind. (Long story, wound up getting another one to get a family plan.) I'm from New Enland, so the store *should* be able to tell you whether it will work for you or not.

Just a warning, I found that I got different answers depending on who I talked to at the cellular stores/Kiosks. Most of those young kids selling phones will just lie through their teeth to get you to buy another contract. I found better luck calling the actually stores and talking to a manager, but some of those can be slimey also. I also called a few places.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

votre_ami03
05-11-2004, 10:42 AM
I have an older Audiovox, I think it is that was Verizon. It's a few years old. I just upgraded this year. I have the car charger & home charger. Let me know if you need it.

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

heidi_timms
05-11-2004, 04:45 PM
I have two Verizon Motorola 120c's that you can have. I'm pretty sure I have the chargers as well. Let me know if you want one, or both. One is black and one is baby blue. PM them if you want them.
~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

himom
05-12-2004, 06:54 AM
Thanks to all of you...I'm going to do a little bit of research and see what's compatible then contact one of the generous persons who has offered a phone. Thank you all so much!

My husband was seriously stressed out and now he feels much better. He also has a new appreciation for why I spend so much time talking about how great these boards are!

Jodi
Mommy to Joshua, born February 2003