PDA

View Full Version : Anybody else guilty of non-scrapbooking.

redhookmom
05-11-2004, 02:58 PM
I'm guilty. http://mothering.com/discussions/images/smilies/blush.gif No scrapbook for my kids. I barely get photos into a photo albumn. I cringe with guilt when I see a scrapbooking mag in the market and now I just got an invite to a a scrapbooking home party.

I would love to have scrapbooks for my kids I just don't take the time to do it. Tell me their are others like me out there!

Marisa6826
05-11-2004, 03:04 PM
Wait, your photos are in ALBUMS? Not in a box in a closet?

I bought a beautiful photo album for my wedding pictures almost four years ago while we were in Florence, Italy. It's still in it's box, the photos still in the crappy proof album from the photographer.

I have a little box of keepsakes from when Sophie was born. We have photos of her, some framed, mostly on CD.

I had plans. Oh, did I have plans... ;)

Count me in as a bad non-scrapbooking Mommy :P

-m

egoldber
05-11-2004, 03:09 PM
See, I think those scrapbboking mags are like Hallmark, inventing holidays for their own profit! LOL! Time was, when putting pix in an album was considered OK. Now if you haven't cropped and decorated your album, you're somehow not doing enough.

Don't get me wrong, if you enjoy scrapbooking and find it therapeutic as a hobby, then that's great. But I honestly feel no need to make a fancy scrapbook. I am happy to keep her baby book updated (oops...need to work on that...), get photos into albums and put her keepsakes in a pretty box, LOL! :)

s_gosney
05-11-2004, 03:11 PM
I have all sorts of supplies and tools that I keep getting for Christmas and other holidays (by my request), but still they sit in their packaging. I fully intend to get to it someday...

peanut4us
05-11-2004, 03:14 PM
I HATE scrapbooking! HATE IT HATE IT HATE IT. I used to tease my friends that if they scrapbooked, it was over LOL! Serioulsy though, it has never appealed to me.

For Sara, I bought a cute little Winnie the Pooh memory album/photo album. I like the memory album because it prompts me to put info in it... I don't have to try to figure out what to keep track of.. also there isn't much room to write and it goes to her 5th birthday. It was something that I was fairly certian I could commit to doing... it also has a separate matching photo album. Good enough for me!

bluej
05-11-2004, 03:16 PM
No scrapbooks here. I'm lucky if I get the pictures developed/printed! Yes, that's how bad it's gotten around here.

amp
05-11-2004, 03:22 PM
Like Sherri - I have soooo many supplies, but nothing every gets scrapbooked! I just don't have the time and energy to do it. Maybe someday. I'm seriously considering just putting a lot of our pics into a regular album so that at least I can more easily show them off, but that hasn't happened either. There are lots sitting in the office closet in a photo box and a lot on the computer. Someday.....

Just call me....
A scrapbook supply collector.

Jeanne
05-11-2004, 03:46 PM
Another non-scrapper here. I don't even put my pictures in photo albums. I do have silver Lenox albums for each of the girls' first year but that's it. I intend to get to the rest someday but it has eluded me thus far. I do have several nice fabric boxes that I throw all the girls stuff in.

papal
05-11-2004, 03:50 PM
Ummm... if there were 36 hours in a day, MAYBE i would get around to scrapbooking. When i was pregnant and delusional, I had this dream that I would make this secret scrapbook for Leela and give it to her when she was 18. HA!
Now, I just put all dd's pics into an album and write her a letter once a month.

JenCA
05-11-2004, 03:57 PM
I barely have time to keep DD's babybook updated and put current pictures in her photo album. Scrapbooking? What's that? ;)

ETA that I really have no desire to scrap, even if I did have the time.

kransden
05-11-2004, 04:01 PM
I love the scrapbook idea. I even love doing it, but I don't have the time. I do have pictures though ready to cut!

Karin and Katie 10/24/02

jojo2324
05-11-2004, 04:07 PM
OMG, I was JUST talking about this this past weekend!!! Not only are all my photos in a box in the closet (a la Marisa ;)), but I don't have...certain events recorded..

Yeah, I was just telling a friend that it used to a baby book, with a photo album. But now it's a whole to do with the decals and stickers and calligraphy and story telling...

Might happen. I would love to be that person, but I know I won't be until the kids are able to feed and wipe themselves. :P

caleymama
05-11-2004, 04:53 PM
My MIL has recently gotten into scrapbooking and while visiting her this weekend I thought hmmmm that looks like something I might like. The thing is, though, I think it's something I *think* I would like to do and not something that I would actually enjoy doing. Of course MIL said the only reason she's doing it now is that her kids are grown and she has the time and money to invest in it. Made me feel a little better.

Contrary to what I always planned to do, I didn't even do a baby book or calendar (WHAT was I thinking??) and I did a terrible job at keeping track of milestones. Good thing I took a ton of pictures because they give me a good idea of what happened when. I haven't done any photo albums and all of my pictures are still on the computer - haven't even printed them out. I do have them all backed up on CD, but really, I need to get with the program before DD is all grown up.

candybomiller
05-11-2004, 06:02 PM
Guilty. And I have zillions of dollars worth of scrapbooking supplies. And babybooks that aren't filled out. And film that's not developed.

Maybe if I spent less time here...

redhookmom
05-11-2004, 07:27 PM
I am glad to see I am in such good company. I do have baby books but with both children I started them when I was sleep-deprieved so some of the info is wrong and I don't want to white out...

RwnMayfair
05-11-2004, 10:06 PM
I don't scrapbook at all. Don't get me wrong, there are some very nicely made scrapbooks out there and I'm happy for the people who enjoy it, but it's just not one of the things I do. I made Taran a cross-stitch birth announcement (as well as one for my niece when she was born four years ago), but cross-stitching *is* something I do. I want to do his name in cross-stitch letters at some point too, I just haven't found a set of letters that appeal to me yet.

A few of my aunts bought me a scrapbook and and some scrapbooking stuff as a gift after he was born, but I just don't have a clue as to when I'd ever do it. I have a Winnie-the-Pooh baby book for him that you can write all sorts of stuff in and put pictures in, and I've done that. (Though I need to update it right now, but the pen I bought to use in it died and I need to buy another one.) We also have a really cute trunk that my husband's father and his wife bought us with little boxes for things such as his first outfit, first shoes, etc that I use as well, and between that and the baby book, I'm happy. Yeah, the scrapbooking stuff would be cute and "personal", but I have so many other things I'd rather complete first. And I think the book and trunk we have still look really nice.

Honestly, I still haven't gotten any of the pictures from our digital camera or any of the other digital pictures anyone has taken even printed yet. I want to, it just hasn't happened yet. Someday, and then I'll actually get them into albums. Unlike our honeymoon pictures, which I finally put into the album we bought for them last summer - we'll have been married five years later this month, so we had been married just over four years at that point. And I even stuck a few Disney stickers here and there in the album with the pictures! Woo! (We went to Disney World for our honeymoon.) Of course, I suspect it would probably horrify many scrapbooking fanatics out there, since it definitely isn't anywhere near as fancy as most scrapbooks. ;)

But even if I had the time to scrapbook, I don't really have the inclination. There's just so many other things I'd rather do first.

-Melissa

Taran Reed - Nov, 20, 2003

June
05-11-2004, 10:27 PM
I hope you are able to go to the home party if you want to. My DD is 20 months old, and just last night and today, I was going through all the digital pictures on the computer to get some printed for her first scrapbook. I know it will take me time, but I will start on it within the next two weeks. I'm excited about it, but I guess I'm a scrapbooker type. I do cross stitch and like the finished products. Of course the last one was small and took me two years to do it, but it's done now.

MelissaTC
05-11-2004, 10:37 PM
I will go hide in the corner with my 10+ scrapbooks....lol...

I go once a month to scrapbook at a local church. It is free, time out for me to hang with my girlfriends and I get something done for my DS that I know he will appreciate in the future.

It is hard to find the time, I know. But it is important to *me* so I *make* time. It is like anything else I suppose. I love to scrapbook because it allows me to be creative and I enjoy the finished product. I did my first album in 1997 and I have loved it since...

lrucci
05-11-2004, 11:35 PM
I'm guilty also. I wish I had the time, but somedays I'm feel lucky if I have time to eat. I have been good at keeping up with dd's baby book. I have 3 empty photo albums, because all our pictures have been taken with the digital camera, and we haven't printed them all out. Maybe for her college graduation, I'll have them done -lol!

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh Elizabeth 7/19/03

lukkykatt
05-12-2004, 12:04 AM
Ok, I will make everyone feel much better about themselves. Not only do I not scrapbook, but I have never put the pictures from DS #2's entire life in an albumn (and he will be 2 next month). I do have his coming home pictures in an albumn, but that is where it stops. I have alot of forensic milestone work to do to get his baby book complete too (I saved our wall calendar and will try to remember things like, I think he had his first cereal that time my mom was visiting).

All of his pictures are in my top dresser drawer, and it is a project so horrible to me that I keep avoiding it altogether. But I am determined to get them in an albumn before his second birthday! So, since I haven't kept up with the baby book or the photo albumn, I bought a nice keepsake box to put things in. Some of you may guess where this is going: the nice keepsake box is still in my closet, shrinkwrapped in plastic.

So, scrapbook? No, it's not even on my list of things to maybe someday do. But I am publicly declaring that in one month I will have a very nice photo albumn!!!

PS: I just finally framed the pictures I had taken in my house by a professional photographer after DS#2's birth. Now I just have to hang them - yes, I am coming clean tonight!

jubilee
05-12-2004, 01:53 AM
I want to scrapbook, just haven't invested in the products/classes/etc. I know I'd love to do it but the money to do it seems a little scary... I've heard it can become expensive. If anyone wants to give your supplies a new home.... :)

jojo2324
05-12-2004, 10:27 AM
Thank you everybody!! I am so happy to know that I am not alone in my slacker mama ways. (Not that we're slackers, but I FELT like I was because I don't have scrapbooks.)

Though I am slacking on laundry right now to type this since it's just too dang hot. Blech.

Sarah1
05-12-2004, 02:15 PM
Same here. I've spent close to $300 on scrapbooking supplies and what do I have to show for it? One page.

I'm starting to come to grips with the fact that I'm just not a scrapbooker. It's a chore to me at this point, although when I look at other people's beautiful scrapbooks, I wish I had one done.

Maybe someday...

toomanystrollers
05-12-2004, 02:40 PM
I prefer the shoe-box method of scapbooking LOL and don't tell Shea, but someday I will fill out his baby book with lots of phony information - same goes for Neve ;)

mattiew
05-12-2004, 03:07 PM
Ummmm...well I haven't even printed most of the pictures from our digital camera and DD is almost 18 months old!! Guess you can't scrapbook if you don't have pictures : ) ONE DAY they will be put in albums, just plain old regular albums is my goal. I really don't know where people find time to do all these fun projects.

Carrie

holliam
05-12-2004, 03:31 PM
To be honest, I think you should just do whatever you want! Scrapbooking isn't for everyone, and I don't think your kids will end up in therapy because they don't have a perfect scrapbook.

Even if you decide to scrapbook, don't feel pressured to do what the magazines tell you. It's your life so make it your own thing!

I've actually kept scrapbooks since I was in 8th grade, and started scrapbooking obsessively back in '99. DH and I are also obsessive amateur photographers. So, I do admit to scrapbooking a lot. I have a whole "studio" setup too. :) With all my scrapping supplies, our digital darkroom, etc.

But, mine are more classic or clean styled than cutesy. I have yet to do a single baby page (my DD isn't here yet!), and I journal more than most people. It's just my artistic expression. Even when I start scrapbooking for my daughter, I doubt I'll ever give them to her! They're mine! :)

I don't have any other "typical" hobbies, and since I'm a working professional and only soon to be a mom I haven't had much in common with most scrapbookers, who are typically SAHMs. But, the way I enjoy it is by making it my own thing, with as little or as much as I want to do.

Holli

C99
05-12-2004, 04:06 PM
I *just* started getting all of Nate's photos/memorabilia, etc. organized into an album. But I've never done the 'scrapbooking' thing, so I don't feel guilty that the album is mostly an old-fashioned kind of scrapbook with the basics about what we did, went, what happened, and photos.

mandye
05-12-2004, 05:38 PM
I'm a scrapbooker and I love it! My friend and I get together every other week to scrapbook. We don't usually get a whole lot done, but we do get some stuff done. It is addictive--for me at least. Once I start I don't want to stop and I stay up late to do it. I've even toyed with the idea of doing it for other people for money. YIKES!

I've discovered something that has really helped me keep track of my pictures, because if you are like me, you get a roll of film developed and then have no idea when the pictures were taken. I got one of those really cheap pocket calendars. Then, whenever I take Hailey's picture, I write down in the calendar what she was wearing on that day and what we were doing. It has really helped--now I know the why and when of my pictures.

Mandy

Vajrastorm
05-12-2004, 08:56 PM
Pre-baby, scrapbooking was a minor hobby. I find scissors and glue therapeutic. Like being a kid again :)

Since baby - hahahahahaha.

Hahahahahahaha.

I can't even get myself to fill out the baby book I purchased. Not enough time or mental energy. Maybe when she goes off to college!

starrynight
05-13-2004, 01:38 AM
My photos are in shutterfly mailing envelops and target photo lab envelopes, some have made it to disk and some even made it to an acutal album but scrapbooking ummm no. LOL I just don't have the time with 3 kids, I take the pictures and write what I can in the baby book and hope they don't hate me later ;).