PDA

View Full Version : Did I miss the weekly American Idol post?

MelissaTC
05-12-2004, 09:35 AM
Did I miss the weekly American Idol post? LOL...

It was a fun week for me because I *LOVE* disco, especially Donna Summer. They sang some fun songs. I think Diana was awesome but poor Jasmine, she needs to go...

papal
05-12-2004, 09:48 AM
I love disco too! They did not sing too many of my favorites but it was fun.
I thought Diana was the best, followed by Latoya.
Poor Jasmine.. she was good but just not in the same league as the others.
I think Diana needs to learn some new dance moves.. i was cringing a little bit everytime she did the old-lady side-to-side move (does anyone know what i am talking about?).. but she was so great.. and only 16!
Miss Latoya was good but her over-confidence and calmness is a little off-putting.
Fantasia's voice is starting to annoy me... everything that comes from her sounds the SAME. Also, her 'i need a guy' comment to Simon was silly.
Also, I thought Donna Summer should have brushed her hair a little better... it was looking like a bird's nest.

Thank goodness I am not on the show.. i would have criticized myself to death! :)

redhookmom
05-12-2004, 10:47 AM
This was the first week that Diana did not annoy me. Up until now she seemed like she was acting her way through songs. I think I now realize that is her. Fun and cute.

I would vote for Jasmine to leave but since you don't do it that way I would vote for Fantasia to stay.

brubeck
05-12-2004, 12:51 PM
ITA about Diana's dancing! It seemed to me like she wasn't comfortable dancing in the heels. She looked like she didn't want to move her feet too much. But I was just saying to DH last night that I really like her now and think she has improved tremendously and DH agreed. And then Simon did too!

It really bothers me how they let Fantasia do things that the other contestants would never be allowed to do. My big annoyance is song selection. Last week Fantasia chose songs that were NOT Big Band (I forget the first one but the second was a Barbra Streisand song) and this week I do NOT think Holding Out for a Hero is a disco song. I always thought that was country? Bonnie Tyler is NOT disco. I suspect they are letting her get away with this so she sounds better and wins. It seems lik they want to 'fix' the competition, just like last year when Simon didn't want Clay to win.

Okay, I'm off my soapbox now.

MelissaTC
05-12-2004, 03:19 PM
YOu are too funny!

Diana does need some new moves...
Jasmine is out of her league...
I have had it with LaToya...her overconfidence is getting old...
I can't stand Fantasia with her "yeah yeah yeah yeah"...

That is my story and I am sticking to it!

Donna Summer looked kinda funky...and what is up with Paula? I swear she must be high...

redhookmom
05-12-2004, 03:22 PM
I thought Paula was high too!!

MelissaTC
05-12-2004, 03:22 PM
You know, I have been meaning to say this forever....

My parents live not that far from you...They live in Unionvale, in Lagrangeville...

Diana can be annoying...I do agree with that...she annoyed me last week with the big band music..."Thanks you guys...thanks!"...Goober...lol

redhookmom
05-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Is Lagrangeville the same as Lagrange? Right next to Poughkeepsie?

MelissaTC
05-12-2004, 03:46 PM
Yes, there is Lagrange and Lagrangeville...they are both near Poughkeepsie...they live off of 89...near 82 and 55...

They moved there from Lake Carmel...they actually used to live in Yonkers until a couple of years ago and now they love the country living...

cinrein
05-12-2004, 04:07 PM
I only heard the last half of the show from the kitchen while doing dishes/packing my lunch. You really get a different perspective when you just hear the voices and don't see the performance. I didn't really like LaToya, but I have to say that after hearing her she stands out above all the others. I thought her second song was better than whoever originally did it!

DH and I were also saying how Diana has greatly improved. Her stage presence needs a lot of work, but then again so did Kelly Clarkson and Clay. I used to really dislike her, but now she's growing on me.

Fantasia is good. No big change with her over the last few shows.

Jasmine is SO out of her league. I fear her boohooing will win her a lot of sympathy votes. IMO, she really should go home tonight.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

Sarah1
05-12-2004, 04:44 PM
I loved the disco, too!

I actually really like Jasmine's voice. She's just not confident or polished enough. I think with more time and practice, she could be amazing.

LaToya--very polished, sound voice, but just boring to me now. There's no spark. Her voice is great, but ordinary, IMO.

Fantasia--I actually love her more every week. I look forward to and enjoy hearing her sing, which is a sign (in my mind, at least) that she's got something special.

Diana--annoys the CRAP out of me. I don't like her voice, and I have a hard time getting past her cherubic looks!

BTW Rashmi (papal)...LOVE LOVE LOVE Leela's new photo! She's gorgeous! :)

mamicka
05-12-2004, 09:15 PM
Fantasia's 1st song, Crazy Little Thing Called Love is a Queen song, I think. But the second, What Are You Doing The Rest of Your Life, was also recorded by Frank Sinatra.

Allison

JLiebCamm
05-12-2004, 10:37 PM
There is no way that Jasmine should have stayed this week. She was very cute and sweet, but not a strong enough singer to make it to the final 3. And LaToya was really the most talented, IMO. I know she came across as cold and overconfident, but I would buy an album of hers in a minute. This has just ruined it for me; I don't really care what happens next week.

lrucci
05-12-2004, 10:53 PM
Rashmi,

I LOVE Leela's new avatar. She's is beautiful!

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh Elizabeth 7/19/03

ncmommy
05-12-2004, 10:54 PM
I totally agree! I was floored by tonight. I was really enjoying the show, but now that it no longer seems to have anything to do with talent, I'm done. Anyway...I have no doubt we'll see an album from Latoya. I'd be willing to bet she'll have a record deal before the end of the month.

It was great to see Clay though....don't you just love him???

lrucci
05-12-2004, 11:19 PM
I can't believe that LaToya is gone. It was definitely a shocker. I was really hoping the Fantasia would go, I can't stand her. There is just something about her that really bothers me. I have always liked Diana and I think she is getting to be a stronger performer, so I guess I'll be rooting for her.

I think that the reason Jasmine and Diana are doing so well is the domographics of the voters. I would imagine that a lot of teenagers watch this show and vote so Jasmine or Diana would appeal to them more than LaToya or Fantasia. It could also explain why John Stevens lasted as long as he did. That's just my theory I came up with to try to make sense of what is going on with the show this season.

Lisa
Mom to Kyleigh Elizabeth 7/19/03

himom
05-12-2004, 11:39 PM
I realize that there are much more critical things going on in the world. But I can't help being irked that LaToya is off when she is probably the most talented!

I think Jasmine needed to go a while ago, but I think that Hawaii is really going overboard voting for her. You should see the commercials and the "VOTE JASMINE" interviews.

Jodi
Mama to Joshua, February 03

mom2kandj
05-12-2004, 11:57 PM
Okay...I haven't seen it yet and it won't be on for another half hour, but I had to peek!

My dad says that he gets bombarded with chain emails on Tuesdays to remind him to watch and vote. FWIW, we're filipino and Jasmine has a huge filipino following that goes beyond the Hawaiian vote. I think it also helps her that a large # of her following is on the west coast and in hawaii for easier voting. This is just speculation on my part, but I wouldn't be surprised if she keeps moving on. FWIW, I haven't voted, but I'm on the fence for Diana and Fantasia. I would've liked LaToya a lot more if she *connected* more with the audience! Just my two cents...

Rose
mom 2 Katie 12/02/00
& Jack 04/16/02

Jeanmick
05-13-2004, 01:55 AM
If only the judges weren't so cruel with their scathing remarks (Simon, Randy). It probably created a backlash of votes. I've been a bit uncomfortable with listening to some of their remarks these past few weeks. It's one thing to provide an opinion and constructive criticism, another to just plain outright insult someone. Yeah, I know...it's probably done for ratings, but personally, the show would be just as entertaining for me without the judges. I'm sure many people out there voted the way they did because they were so pissed off at the judges' obvious display of favoritism.

ITA with Jessica...I would buy an album of La Toya's in a heartbeat over the other performers...she's much easier to "listen" to IMHO.

And what's up with Paula these days? Can't put my finger on it...strange. Or is it my imagination?

lisams
05-13-2004, 02:32 AM
Yeah, what is up with Paula - she's been acting kind of goofy and emotional lately. Maybe she's on some funky pain killers for her thumb infection?!!!

I'm so sad to see LaToya go, but I think she would have done much better if she showed some personality. Oh well, she'll do great no matter what. I just love Fantasia - she just seems like such a sweetheart.

It was fun to see Clay, I think he's great!!!!

Lisa

JLiebCamm
05-13-2004, 07:04 AM
I do wonder if it helps performers when the judges start announcing that they are definitely going to be voted off. It certainly would cause fans of that performer to be overzealous in their calling and voting. Conversely, when a judge tells someone that they're a surefire bet for the final two, does it cause less people to care about voting for them?

Paula really does seem wacky lately. Her outfit and behavior last week made her look like a crazy lady. Hmmmm....

ncmommy
05-13-2004, 07:57 AM
I've been wondering about Paula too...the week before last she had on crazy make-up that made her look a bit like a clown. What happenned to her thumb anyway?? I thought it also looked like she had a bruise on the side of her face. DId I miss something?

Sarah1
05-13-2004, 08:43 AM
I read in US magazine (yes, I'm pathetic) that Paula's thumb injury was from a botched manicure. Ridiculous, but apparently true!

As for Jasmine...I have to admit, I really like her voice, and she's beautiful, and when you look at the faces in popular music, you don't see many like hers. Maybe she's striking a chord with people for that reason, as some of you have mentioned. Her voice is unpolished and wobbly, but in the end I think she could ultimately be better than LaToya. But, if it's about *right now* as opposed to potential, LaToya is the better of the two, no doubt.

This is the first season I've watched AI so I have nothing to compare it to.

papal
05-13-2004, 09:29 AM
The FIRST thing that I have to get off my chest... WHY was Fantasia wearing the exact same top as she did on Tuesday??? Did she think that I would not notice? :)
And second of all.. if it is going to be a repeat shirt, at least let it be something nice!! I do not like that underwear posing as outerwear look and besides, i think that was so two years ago.

The SECOND thing is, Donna Summer performed really well... but she needs a makeover... i think a nice short haircut would suit her.. all that hair made her look like an old person trying to look young.

THIRD of all, ummm.. Paula... are you sure you are taking the right painkillers for your botched manicure (thanks Sarah!)?? You seem to be a little out of it.

FOURTH of all, LaToya probably did not deserve to leave, but in all honesty, i think that would be the best thing for her. She can just calmly and methodically carry on with getting a recording contract and cutting an album. She does not have to bother with the media circus and contractual obligations that hound the winner (except the 52 city tour thingy i suppose).

FIFTH, i liked that Jasmine was all thrilled that she got to stay.. i don't like it when they pretend that they are sad that their friend is going home when you KNOW that secretly they are super thrilled that it is not them. heehee.

SIXTH and finally, what is UP with those Ford commercials, Subway commercials, Old Navy commercials.... so freakin tacky!!

Rashmi Out!

MartiesMom2B
05-13-2004, 09:54 AM
I have to agree with you on just about every point!

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

mik8
05-13-2004, 10:33 AM
I'm starting to think it's more about appeal and popularity now, and less to do with raw talent. The over 20 million votes turnover every Tuesday most likely represents the younger population.

StaceyKim
05-13-2004, 11:15 AM
Diana should win the whole competition! She is only 16 and is incredible!
Fantasia annoys me. She cannot speak properly and it shows in her singing. She does have a good voice but she is too cheesy!
LaToya has an amazing voice and will probably do broadway musicals or something after Idol.
Jasmine sings off key every time! She needs to go home. She is very sweet and pretty but not the best singer out there.

tina-t
05-13-2004, 11:03 PM
Dh and I were talking about the nasty remarks that the judges say to the contestants. Specifically about Jasmine and how she better hope that each household in HI better have 5 phones so they could vote for her. We were both thinking that if we were hawaiians, we would be so p*ssed off at that comment that we would vote for Jasmine several times. That being said, we really think that Jasmine is out of her league here and needs to go.

Diana has improved so much with her singing. I hope that she wins!

brubeck
05-14-2004, 10:33 AM
The funny thing is, sometimes the nasty remarks backfire and encourage people to vote more. Simon was constantly ragging on John Stevens and he stayed around. Then one week Simon said, "You'll get lots of votes because people love you!" or something like that. That of course was the week he got booted. Simon was extra nasty to Jasmine last week, so I think it got people really fired up to vote for her!

I do want her to get to the final 2, but mostly because I don't want to see Fantasia there.

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-14-2004, 05:54 PM
Man is missed it...
I have been very suprised that Jasmine has skirted thru this, I have never thought much of her singing ...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties