PDA

View Full Version : Meal suggestions for new mom on restricted diet?

COElizabeth
05-12-2004, 11:55 AM
I want to take dinner to a friend with a new baby, but because the baby has had some problems with regaining weight and digestion, the mom is off dairy, nuts, and wheat. I have a chicken-corn chili recipe in mind for a main dish, but any suggestions for sides and dessert? I'd like to take some higher-calorie things, since I know I needed lots of energy when nursing a newborn and really loved all the rich food people brought over the first few weeks, but most of the things I can think of don't meet the diet requirements. Any suggestions?

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

trumansmom
05-12-2004, 12:21 PM
That's a tough one! A fruit salad?

And how incredibly sweet of you!

Jeanne
Mom to Truman 11/29/01 and Eleanor 4/14/04

Marisa6826
05-12-2004, 12:28 PM
Rice as a side - white or brown

Sorbet for dessert? Trader Joes has these cool lemon ones already in a hollowed out lemon.

I'm not sure what else to recommend as a side. Can you just do a nice salad? I know that Trader Joe's and Whole Foods has wheat-free bread. That might be nice for her with some jam.

What a great friend you are

-m

nitaghei
05-12-2004, 12:33 PM
Something with avocado for a side? A chunky guacamole? I think that should be okay.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_25933,00.html

Maybe a black bean salsa? It's one of the recipes here:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_22891,00.html

If you want to do fruit for dessert - I would highly recommend mangos. They are super nutritious.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

lag555
05-12-2004, 01:31 PM
I guess everyone's tastes are different, but here is a side dish that
I really love. The potatos smell great and they get nice and crispy. I use the larger red-skinned potatos and cut them into chunks. Also, it should be tossed/stirred once or twice during cooking. And lastly, depending on the size of your potatos, it may not need so much time.

Potatos with Dill & Garlic
4-5 pounds small new red-skinned potatoes, scrubbed
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 tablespoon dried dill weed.
1 head garlic, cloves separated and peeled
1/2 cup margarine
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Combine all ingredients in baking pan. Bake for 2 - 3 hours, the longer the better.

I've never made this next recipe, but it sounds pretty good if you like sweet foods.

Yams & Apples
(from The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes)

3-4 Yams or orange sweet potatoes (1-1/2 lbs) – peeled & sliced 1/4“ thick
2 tbsp margarine
1 tbsp brown sugar (I usually use a bit more)
1/8 tsp salt
3 tart apples – peeled, cored, sliced
1/4 tsp cinnamon

Place potato slices in a large nonstick skillet (I use my electric). Pour in 1-1/2 cups water; dot with margarine; sprinkle with brown sugar and salt. Cover LOOSELY, bring to boil, cook over moderate heat 20 minutes.
Spread apple slices over potatoes. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Cover loosely and cook 10 minutes. Remove cover, cook 5 more minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

My third recipe is for a non-dairy broccoli quiche. However, I just realized the recipe calls for a little flour. (1 and 1/2 tablespoons.) I can give you the recipe anyway, but if she is totally off flour, then it probably isn't a good idea. But if you want the recipe anyway (you can probably leave out the flour or substitute with something else), let me know.

Aggie

P.S. And if you decide you want a different main course, I've got some more suggestions.

jenmcadams
05-12-2004, 03:06 PM
More suggestions would be great! Elizabeth and I actually both know this new mom from a play group and several other moms in the playgroup want to bring dinner but are struggling to think of ideas...so additional suggestions would definitely be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jen

nitaghei
05-12-2004, 03:23 PM
A lot of Indian food would fit the bill. Very easy to avoid nuts, dairy and wheat with Indian food.

Rice, beans/lentils and veggies are a complete meal. You could also make lamb /chicken /beef for the protein - several Indian style dishes have no dairy, and nuts are easily omitted. LMK if it sounds good, and I'll be glad to send you recipes for home-style cooking, which is much simpler and less greasy than the stuff you get in Indian resturants.

There's a German style potato salad that DH makes that has no dairy.
I think it's just boiling and cubing potatoes (use little red ones, and leave the skin on), chop some pickles, add salt and pepper and toss in olive oil and vinegar (I like red wine vinegar). Easy and delicious.

Nita
mom to Neel, January 2003
dog mom to a cocker and a PWD

lag555
05-12-2004, 03:29 PM
This recipe is nice because it gives a main and a side dish in one pot. Then you can add a tossed salad and you have a whole meal!

Roast Chicken & Potatos
(The first time I made this, I was wondering if it would taste good. It seemed really bland. But it is now our very favorite "nice" supper. Easy to make and really tasty. Use the garlic powder liberally. I don't use the pepper. Also, I never make as much as the recipe calls for. I usually use one chicken and 4-5 potatos, depending on the size of the potatos and how many people I'm cooking for. And I've never made it with duck sauce.)

12 large potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2 chickens, cut into 1/8ths
2 onions, sliced
garlic powder
coarsely ground black pepper
paprika
vegetable oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a large deep roasting pan, layer potatoes, then chickens, then onions. Sprinkle with garlic and pepper. Cover with paprika. Drizzle with oil. Bake, uncovered, for 1/2 hour to brown chicken, then cover and bake an additional 1-1/2 hours. For a variation, can add duck sauce before covering.Serves 10.

Another easy chicken recipe:
¼ cup ketchup
¼ cup brown sugar
Chicken

Mix together ketchup and brown sugar, smear over chicken pieces. Bake at 350; covered for 1 – 1 ½ hours, and then uncovered for 1 hour.

You can also make salmon or other fish:
mix together some salt, paprika, and garlic powder. Add oil to make a paste. Smear it on a salmon fillet and broil for about 20 minutes. You don't need to turn over the fish. It is "done" when the color has changed all the way through.
You can serve it with rice or a baked potato.

Another "one pot" main and side: (not as healthy or as nice. but easy)
Ingredients:
1 large or 2 small onions
1 package salami
4-5 potatos
oil
Salt and paprika
Slice onion and place into frying pan on low heat. (You can add some oil first.) Cut salami into chunks and add to onion. Cook until onion is limp and translucent. Meanwhile, microwave the potatos until they are slightly less than completely cooked. Peel them (you can easily use a knife or a peeler). Throw them in with the potatos and onions and stir so that the potatos get smashed up. Add some salt and paprika. If the potatos look dry, add a little bit of oil. Cook for a few minutes and serve.

Those are all the recipes that I have with me. When I get home tonight, I'll check to see if I have anything else that would fit into the dietary restrictions.

Aggie

lag555
05-12-2004, 03:50 PM
Whoops. I forgot another really great recipe. It is another meat/potato thing. I absolutely love potatos.

Ingredients:
2 large onions
1 or 2 large pieces of chuck meat (with or without the bone)
4-5 large potatos
salt
garlic powder
paprika
oil

First: Coat the bottom of a large frying pan with oil. Slice onions and place in the frying pan on low-medium heat.
Second: Sprinkle salt, garlic powder and a little paprika onto the meat. (Alternatively, make a paste with the spices and little oil and rub onto the meat.) Place meat on top of onions.
Third: Peel and slice potatos. Place on top of meat. Sprinkle with salt, paprika, and garlic powder.
Then: Cover pot. Let cook for 45-75 minutes. (It depends how much you put in.) Stir occasionally, scraping the bottom of the pan if possible. If it is sticking to the bottom, you can add a little more oil or a little bit of boiling water and then put the lid back on.

Aggie

COElizabeth
05-12-2004, 04:01 PM
thanks to all for the great suggestions so far! I'd love the quiche recipe, too. I could perhaps substitute barley or rice flour since it's a small amount?

EDD #2, 10-30-04

COElizabeth
05-12-2004, 04:01 PM
Yes, please, Nita!
EDD #2, 10-30-04

lag555
05-12-2004, 10:56 PM
OK. Here's the recipe. According to one cookbook I checked, you can use flour, potato starch, or corn starch as a thickener. It said the cornstarch needs to be dissolved into cold water first. Or you could try barley or rice flour. I don't know if that would work as well.

1 1/2 TBLS margarine
1 1/2 TBLS flour
1/2 c. nondairy creamer
1/2 c. mayonnaise
3 eggs
1/2 package onion soup mix
1 package frozen broccoli (it does not have to be defrosted)

Instructions: melt margarine. Mix in the flour. Add remaining ingredients. Bake at 350 for 1/2 hour.
For the "crust", you have a couple of options. I sometimes use a frozen pie shell, which wouldn't be good. Otherwise (and this actually looks really nice), grease a pyrex pie shell with cooking spray or margarine and sprinkle with cornflake crumbs. (I usually use bread crumbs, but that has wheat.)

Here are some more recipes:

Mushroom quiche
(obviously you should substitute margarine or oil for the butter and omit the cheese.)

2 TBLS minced scallions
3 TBLS butter
1 lb. sliced fresh mushrooms
1 tspn salt
1 tspn lemon juice
2 TBLS port or madeira (optional)

Sautee scallions in butter for 1 minute. Add everything else. Cover pan, low heat for 8 minutes. Raise heat until liquid completely evaporates. Then, beat together the following ingredients and add gradually to mushroom mixture:
3 eggs
1 1/2 c. whipping cream
pinch of nutmeg

Pour into pastry shell. Dot with 1/4 c. grated swiss cheese. Dot with butter. Bake at 375 for 25-30 minutes or until brown.

The Best Potato Salad I've Ever Had
1 1/2 lb. red potatos, cooked and cut into chunks
Dressing:
1/2 c. diced celery
1/2 c. diced seeded cucumbers
1/2 c. sliced green onions
3/4 c. or 1 c. mayonnaise (the recipe calls for 1 1/4, but I think that is too much)
1 TBLS mustard
1 TBLS sugar
1 TBLS lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 c. cheddar cheese (optional)
1 chopped hard boiled egg (optional)

Mix ingredients and pour over potatos

Let me know if you have any questions.

Aggie