PDA

View Full Version : Anna has a hernia :(

cinrein
05-12-2004, 12:14 PM
We went for a 15-month check up yesterday and the ped confirmed what DH and I suspected---Anna has a tiny hernia! She said it's common and that it should heal itself. If it hasn't healed at around 3 or 4 years of age, that's when they would surgically repair it. I feel so bummed about it, even though I know it's not a big deal. Anyone else have baby hernias?

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

Marisa6826
05-12-2004, 12:30 PM
Cindy-

Is it an umbilical hernia? We're pretty sure that Sophie has a mild one. I was changing her dipe one day in the mall, and I pushed too hard on her belly button. The whole thing (or so it seemed!) popped out!!!

I'm sure she'll be ok.

hugs

-m

McQ
05-12-2004, 12:37 PM
Oh Cindy I'm so sorry to hear this about Anna. Poor pumpkin but I'm sure she doesn't notice it a bit.

I think Julie's (sweetbasil) son Charlie had a hernia that they operated on. And all ended up well. If she doesn't post go back and do a search.

Allison
~ mommy to Declan 3.24.03
and number 2 EDD 9.14.04

dotgirl
05-12-2004, 12:43 PM
I was actually born with a hernia, but it didn't become apparent until I started crawling. I had surgery to repair it at 10 months (it was pretty severe once I could move around), and my mom says that the only part that seemed difficult was when they cathetered me. *grin* She says I recovered very quickly. And I have only a teeny scar that you can't even see.

ismommy
05-12-2004, 01:07 PM
Cindy,

My baby's cousin had one and had the surgery when he was very little - almost a newborn. He is fine and I have heard they are common. Hugs to you and Anna
Helene
mommy to Isabella

friedmana1
05-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Leah has an umbilical hernia when she was born, but it closed by itself. What kind of hernia is it? Either way, I wouldn't worry about it - most usually do heal on their own. And even if she does need surgery, it's really quick and easy - just a tiny stitch to close it up. Don't worry!!

Aimee
Mother to Leah 10/26/02

papal
05-12-2004, 01:18 PM
Oh no Cindy! Poor little Anna.. it is not painful is it?? i hope not.. it is probably bothering you more than her.. chin up mama.. i hope it goes away soon so no surgery is required.

mharling
05-12-2004, 01:46 PM
Please don't feel bummed Cindy!! I'm sorry to hear about this, but I'm sure Anna will be just fine. I remember when Julie's Charlie had surgery that there was someone else here who had been through it (maybe one of Andrea (lukkykatt's) ds's????). Maybe whoever it is will post here too.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
[link:www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b370a2992536|Birthday Pics!!]

MartiesMom2B
05-12-2004, 03:17 PM
Cindy:

I'm sorry to hear that Anna has a hernia. I hope it heals!

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

sntm
05-13-2004, 01:52 PM
cindy, it is an umbilical hernia, right? because an inguinal hernia (groin hernia) won't repair itself.

umbilical hernias almost never cause problems (hopefully your doc told you what to watch for) and usually resolve on their own. if she does need surgery for it, it is a breeze -- literally about 10 minutes of actual operating time. she will barely notice it.

email me if you have questions!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03