PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning to a bed

cara1
05-12-2004, 10:57 PM
I know this has been posted before, and I think I know what I want to do anyway, but I'd like to hear everyone's thoughts. It's about time to move DS into a bed. For sure by October when #2 comes along. I'm not anticipating any resistance. But have people done regular twin size beds or toddler beds? I'm thinking a regular bed without the frame, just box spring and mattress right on the floor, with a rail. And maybe a gate in the doorway to his room.

Also, now I have to buy new sheets and stuff. If I get a regular twin bed, can I just get whatever sheets I want? Do I have to get a matching blanket/comforter, or just continue to use the blankets we used now on him in his crib? They wouldn't fit over an entire twin bed, and I could never "make the bed" (Yeah, right, like I would anyway), and they invariably get kicked off anyway. Do I get a pillow?

TIA for your opinions!

lukkykatt
05-12-2004, 11:08 PM
We just transitioned to a bed a few months ago. We got a twin bed instead of a toddler bed because of the short life span of the toddler bed. We ended up putting a doorknob cover on the inside of his door because he was getting up about 12 times a night. Now he knows that he can't open the door, so he just stays put.

I got a sheet set and quilt, and then an extra set of sheets that coordinated from Marshall's. I put his old crib blanket next to him for now so that he has something familiar in there with him. I got a travel pillow, but you could also get the flattest regular pillow you can find.

Good luck!

bluej
05-13-2004, 12:36 AM
We go straight to twin bed. I'm a bedding nut and I bought the whole kit and kaboodle for the beds. Don't do that. The kids don't care about comforters and bedskirts and really, comforters are impractical until after they're potty trained. Fun sheets and his favorite blankie is all that he'll need and most likely all that he'll want. A doorknob cover is a brilliant idea! We locked the door (it sounds so awful doesn't it?) to keep them in their room. Good luck!

AngelaS
05-13-2004, 07:27 AM
We moved my oldest directly from the crib to a twin sized bed. I just used a bottom sheet and her crib quilt (that she loved) on her big girl bed. Now she's 6 and still doesn't want a top sheet on her bed. LOL It works for us! :D

Our baby's due in October too and the one who just turned two will soon be moving to the bottom bunk of the bunk beds in big sister's room. Hopefully her transition will be as easy as her sister's was! :D

MelissaTC
05-13-2004, 09:26 AM
We recently moved our little guy from his crib to a toddler bed. We were not prepared to purchase him a furniture set yet and DH felt better with him sleeping lower to the ground. We will transition him when we move (we want to move out of this house before he starts kindergarten) or when he outgrows the toddler bed. For now, he is fine and loves it.

I found a Winnie the Pooh bedding set at Wal-Mart on clearance after Christmas for 9.99. I also bought a coverelet and matching sheet at Target in the baby section. We just use his crib sheets and a regular pillowcase with a flat pillow.

Marisa6826
05-13-2004, 09:54 AM
How old are everybody's little ones when you are switching?

-m

bluej
05-13-2004, 11:32 AM
Alex was 19 months. Caden was 2 1/2 when we bought the big bed, but um, he didn't actually move full time to his bed until his grandpa made him a different bed at age 5 (he's an example of a kid who REALLY likes to co-sleep!).

AngelaS
05-13-2004, 05:13 PM
Adrienne was past 3. LOL Gabrielle will be less than 2.5. :D

MelissaTC
05-13-2004, 05:17 PM
Matthew has been sleeping in his big boy bed now for around a month so at 21 months?

candybomiller
05-13-2004, 05:28 PM
We just have a twin box spring and mattress that are on the floor and a door knob cover on the door. But, we haven't made the transition yet. We've just had the bed in there for almost 4 months. We're giving him lots of time to get used to the idea! :)

brubeck
05-13-2004, 07:47 PM
When we switched DD we just put a mattress on the floor. After a month or so when she was used to it we put it up on a low platform (actually a futon bed frame).

We began with just a fitted sheet and the same pillow and blanket/quilt that she had been using in the crib. Basically a plain fitted sheet isn't that different from sleeping in the crib, is it? Later we put on the comforter. At first with DD We used old, stained (but clean) sheets and comforters. That way when she was potty training we didn't care what got on it. She still isn't 100% nighttime trained but it's much better.

We switched her at 18 months but that's because she was so tall that her armpits were well above the top of the crib and we were afraid she would climb out. She was already comfortable with blankets and pillows and taking naps on a mattress on the floor. We are planning on doing the same with DS in July (when he is 18 months) because he is even taller than DD was at that age.

HGraceMom
05-14-2004, 09:55 AM
We were very lucky with the transition...

I tried to force it at 28 months (DD is off the charts on height, so the try was LONG overdue) and it was a disaster - she'd have FITS screaming & crying. I tried a gate ONE time - she pulled everything out of the drawers in her dresser, toys & books off her shelves, etc. Needless to say, that was a failed try.

Then, at 31 months, I asked if she'd like to sleep in a big girl bed & DD said "Oh boy!" "Yes Mommy" and "I go sleep in a big girl bed now mommy!" Jumping up & down and clapping her hands. So cute.

We took down the crib & moved in the twin on a low frame without a rail rail, but with a huge comforter on the floor next to the bed in case of a fall. Knock on wood, she hasn't come close to falling out yet. That night we told her "No getting out of your big girl bed until Mommy or Daddy comes to get you" and she hasn't wandered out yet (6 weeks now.)

Funny side story - We were moving the crib down the hall - it's a big iron hulk - DH & I got stuck - the door on our extra bedroom apparently is narrower than all the others. We asked DD to bring mommy the screwdriver. She didn't know what that was, so went into her room & dragged out her big stuffed elephant. "How 'bout an elephant instead, mommy?" she asked... I about peed my pants, stuck inside the crib frame... it was so cute!