PDA

View Full Version : Any regrets about your short haircut? Neve, anyone who took the plunge?

alkagift
05-13-2004, 10:24 AM
I'm going in at 8:00 on Saturday to get my hair cut. It's a couple inches below my shoulders and it's driving me nuts. I was thinking to go short (just below my ears) with bangs but I'm starting to get cold feet--I've not had a short haircut since the 3rd grade and haven't had bangs in 14 years! Any reactions about your short hair, any reason I should NOT do this? Encouragement? eek!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

papal
05-13-2004, 10:31 AM
Not Neve, but I have NO regrets. Love having short short hair!! Go for it!! At the worst, you will hate it, and 3 months later it would all have grown back!! I spend precisely 1 minute on my hair everyday and this includes shampoo, condition and finger-comb.... i have chucked the hairbrush and the blow-dryer is just used by guests and the occasional colicky baby. :)

As they say, It is hair today and gone tmmrw.

caleymama
05-13-2004, 10:44 AM
No regrets at all. Mine was shorter than yours to begin with (between chin and shoulders), but I went REALLY short when I cut it. Think Anne Heche when she had it short - a pixie cut, I guess. I loved it. That being said, it's almost to my shoulders again. More because I didn't take the time or want to spend the money on the upkeep than anything else. I needed to cut it every 4 or 5 weeks and just didn't, so out it grew. I kept it short all last summer and fall and then let it go this winter. One thing I found was that I needed highlights to give it the texture and dimension it needed to look okay that short. I'm blond naturally, but the extra "oomph" from the highlights made the haircut. One product I really loved was Aveda Control Paste (I think that's what it's called).

Good luck! It's only hair and if you don't like it, it WILL grow back.

edited to fix spelling and add a few more thoughts after seeing more posts:

The really short hair that I had was pretty easy to style, but I did have to shower first thing in the morning if I wanted to look presentable (I used to joke in the morning about my "Clay Aiken hair"). At least it was a good motivator to get up and get going! The more in-between length that you are talking about may require more work - I found that I had to style that more than I did when it was super short or longer and there are few alternatives to having your hair "done." Depending on what you are used to now, that may not be a big deal. A wider barrel curling iron and some layers were a lifesaver the many times I've had it somewhere between really short and long. Not to curl it, but to style it - either flipped out and piecy or smoother and tucked under. I am by NO means a hair person and I only spent less than 5 minutes styling it on a good day. I just wanted to reiterate that it may not be a wash and go style.

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-13-2004, 10:58 AM
Sorry I was out of town for Tuesday night till 2:00AM this morning...

UGHHH...that's a hard one...I do miss my longer hair in that I could throw it up in a scrunchie, pony tail etc...
But my friends in DC all liked my new cut...while here I think many don't (for they have said little)...

Steve seems to perk up to it when it is "coiffed" (which is not often).
Tuesday before we left I updated my color to a more pale blonde and that has made it look better I think.

My face has gained a lot of weight lately and I do feel like it might accentuate that some...

It's hard to answer for I really don't know if I could change it back if I would...I have wild curly and the thickest hair...I have a lot of hair...so it is hard to manage anyway!!!!

Keep us posted!!!
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

pamela mom of 3
05-13-2004, 11:23 AM
I've done it a couple of times in my "mommyhood" a few things to keep in mind......well IMO ;)

*it needs to be trimmed often, that may be ok kinda depends on how difficult it is too get to your hairdresser

*many times you will need to wash it daily or at least do someting too it, it's not like you can pull it back into a ponytail kwim? I find short hair doesn't do well with being slept on LOL of coarse your hair texture will probably change how well/or not well that works out.

*while it may grow out, if your going from quite long your probably better to take it slow, do it say over a couple of weeks...shorter, shorter, shorter? that way you can get a feel for less length without totally having it gone and wishing it was back....again i know hair grows but it can feel like forever if you hate the cut...oh no not been there at all :+

*if you color your hair it'll require touchups more often

I've had my hair a couple of inches long and even buzzed right down at some points{not all over but sides back etc} now my hair is long again, shoulder length and i gave up bangs to much maintence to get them trimmed...i liked the shortcut but i found it was too difficult to get back to the hairdresser to keep it in top shape and some days i was just too lazy to "style" it and missed just putting in a ponytail instead, plus although this depends on how easily you burn, my ears were getting burned alot! and i hate hats x(

So anyhow it can be great but sometimes it turns out to be more than you may think :)

-good luck and HTH

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

Calmegja2
05-13-2004, 12:04 PM
I've done it three times, and I don't think I'll ever do it again.

I thought it would simplify my life, but every time I've had shorter hair, it's actually been more work for me than longer hair.

It's probably largely because of my style preferences (I cut it Faith Hill-ish short, with flippy ends), but that style of hair actually took longer to style than my current just below shoulders cut (my hair is cut just like Jennifer Aniston's). I also found that it was harder to have a tousled on the go look with shorter hair.

So much is dependent on what your hair type is. My hair is pretty long, and mostly straight, so it was a battle to keep a style ina shorter haircut that made me happy, because it was working against my natural hair's tendencies. I am much, much happier with longer hair. ;-)

egoldber
05-13-2004, 12:13 PM
I've never regretted having short hair. You do have to go fairly often to get it trimmed up, but my hair grows really fast, so I have to do that anyway.

I also agree that "in between" short hair is a PITA. If you really want short hair, go super short. It can be hard to "sleep on" as someone mentioned. I can get pretty severe bed head. :) But if that happens, I just wet all my hair (not wash it, just brush it with a wet brush) and that magically makes it all go back in place. :)

I wash mine, put in styling cream and go. Super easy, super fast.

And FYI, you do not need to get bangs if you don't want to. Short hair does NOT require bangs! I don't have bangs and don't feel a need.

OK, with GREAT trepidation, I am attaching a pic. I am not wearing makeup and that was a really sucky day for me. My hair is longer in front, but is super short and VERY layered in back.

HTH,

candybomiller
05-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Just my two cents:

I cut my hair short about 6 months ago. I haven't regretted it since. I have to style my hair no matter what because it's kind of crappy, not quite straight, not quite curly. I think it's quite easy to take care of now. Right now my hair is about Oprah length, so not real short, but definitely not long.

I just have to say, if this is something you're thinking about doing, just do it. It can always grow back, and if you're anything like me, you're just going to drive yourself crazy thinking about it until you actually do it!

:)

HGraceMom
05-13-2004, 04:58 PM
Think how many times you've worn a ponytail in the past 4 weeks... it's easier for me to count the days I haven't!

Last time I went short b/c I got tired of wearing a ponytail everyday, I was sorry the next morning, and every morning after... Sure it takes longer to style long hair, but there wasn't a quick fix for my chin-length cut.

HTH -

MelissaTC
05-13-2004, 05:15 PM
Beth:

You look adorable. I love your haircut!

JMarie
05-13-2004, 07:35 PM
I guess I'm in the minority - I cut my hair after having Aidan and I'm STILL waiting for it to all grow back! It was well down my back when I had him, but all those nurses warning me that he'd get a strand wrapped around a finger, toe, or worse, so I chopped it to above my shoulders. I cried for weeks. Honestly, I love my hair and it makes me feel pretty and desireable to DH. I felt huge after having Aidan and cutting my hair off was like taking away my one piece of girliness I had left. I'm better now, but it was not good.

Jennifer
Mom to Aidan Christopher
01/28/03

RwnMayfair
05-13-2004, 08:00 PM
I haven't had a short haircut in 7 years, so I'm probably not the best one to be giving advice, but the main reason for that is because everytime I've gotten a short haircut, it's actually taken me MORE time to style it and deal with it. (Not to mention, I always seem to end up in tears and talking about how ugly I am everytime I cut it short.)

I dunno, these days my hair tends to be a bit longer than shoulder length (though right now it's at least two to three inches longer than that because I really need to get it trimmed again, I'm just not entirely sure what I'm supposed to do with Taran while I get that done) because I can style it to look nice if I want, or I can just let it air-dry (after putting putting some anti-frizz stuff in). Basically, long enough for me to stil be able to fairly easily put it up. But the shorter my hair is, the more curly it tends to get as well, where it's just nicely wavy and easier to deal with if it's longer. This is just the way my hair has generally been though, yours might end up working really well in a short haircut. :)

I really need to just suck it up and call the salon I usually go to and see if the stylist I see there works on weekends or not, otherwise I'm never going to end up getting my hair cut at this rate. ;) I used to just see her during the week, and the last time I got my hair cut was while my husband was still on paternity leave. I really need another haircut! ::chuckle::

-Melissa

Taran Reed - Nov, 20, 2003

Rachels
05-13-2004, 08:32 PM
It has been a long while since I did a drastic cut, but after college, I cut eight inches off my hair. My roommate's boyfriend was a stylist, and he showed up in my kitchen with all his stuff and told me to have a seat. A big glass of wine later, most of my hair was on the floor. :) I'm really glad I did that. I instantly looked better. I've kept it short since then, somewhere between chin length and shoulder length. And it's a fun, brave (if slightly chemically altered) memory. :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

houseof3boys
05-13-2004, 11:07 PM
I think you would look fabulous with short hair!!!! I think it would be fun for your new "job" and just in time for the steamy weather.

DO IT!!!!! :)

malisa
05-14-2004, 12:52 AM
I think you will look GREAT with short hair...you should go for it.

I just cut mine short, it was really long--about 8" below my shoulders (I think I cut it just before I met you for the shoes). I did it on a whim, when I was out of town (away from DH) with my cousins and SIL.

Do you have a good stylist? That really helps. I use completely different styling products now. My cut is pretty choppy and messy, which I like because I feel like it doesn't always have to look perfect. My hair basically looks the same in the morning (after a good nights sleep) as when I spend a lot of time styling it.

Another advantage to short hair is that it always looks styled, imo. Even if you just stepped out of the shower short hair always looks better than long hair. Longer hair was a lot more work for me.

The only advice about bangs, or short hair in general, is: don't get it cut at a length that is too short to tuck behing your ears but long enough to hang in your eyes. I just had a trim that falls in this category, and I'm bending over all of the time with Isabella...such a pain.

OK, this is really long, can you tell I've spent some time convincing DH of the advantages of short hair???

Malisa
mom to Isabella 11/9/02

jubilee
05-14-2004, 02:19 AM
You look great! And you're right about no bangs- it looks good!! I have bangs, so I've always wondered how people keep the front hair out of their face/eyes if they don't have bangs. Do you have to use lots of spray or what?

luvbeinmama
05-14-2004, 03:04 AM
Let's see...

Things I LOVE about having my hair this short:
- It doesn't blow in my face.
- It can blow all over the place and still look GREAT!
- If I forget to blowdry & style after I've washed it, "gel"d it, and brushed it, it's okay, and I'm not super embarrassed with a nasty look.
- It looks better than long hair if it's been a few days since washing (mine would get the nasty greasy look, eeewwww).
- It's just as easy to toss a bandanna on your head whether your hair is short or long (oh, those are the REALLY bad hair days! LOL!).
- I don't have to figure out nice ways to put my hair up, it's pretty much one "do".
- It takes less than half the time to shampoo & rinse my hair.
- I don't have to use a conditioner on my hair anymore.
- Blowdrying takes about the same time or less (when it was long all I dried was the front anyway).

Things I miss about my long hair:
- The nice barrettes I used.
- Sun protection for my neck.
- DH likes it long better, but knows better than to complain since I don't tell him how to do his hair!
- The brush, toss on a headband & go with it still wet aspect. Although this is mitigated by #3 above.
- Not having to get my hair cut frequently (I would go YEARS without a cut at times)

It took me a while to shed the "tuck behind the ear" habit, but I just style it in the morning and forget about it the rest of the day. I don't have to even think about it until the next morning.

So, really, I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE my short short hair, and I don't think I'll go back to long.

smomom
05-14-2004, 09:48 AM
OMG Beth! you look great! I LOVE the hair cut. It is so flattering on you. And my goodness - look at you! I was going to post on the Mommy Fit boards to see if anyone was willing to post a "before" and "after" photo. I think I just saw your "after". Congratulations - you look awesome! You should be so proud!!

and Sarah is a little cutie. I love her eyes!

egoldber
05-14-2004, 10:30 AM
I use spray only on VERY special occasions, maybe 2-3 times a year! LOL! :)

egoldber
05-14-2004, 10:32 AM
Thank you!! You made my day!

Its funny, I don't "feel" thinner, but when my old clothes just hang off me, its a great feeling. :)

sntm
05-14-2004, 02:17 PM
I think it also depends on what kind of hair you have. I have short, fine hair which does not style itself, so unless I was willing to go Mia-Farrow-in-Rosemary's-Baby short (which would not suit my roundish face), short hair is harder to style. Mine right now is on the short side (a little below chin length) but still ends up in this scraggly chicken-foot ponytail most days. My DH surprisingly loves short hair (and prefers brunettes to blondes) so he is always encouraging short styles.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

alkagift
05-14-2004, 02:25 PM
See, your responses were very interesting, because it really brought the positives and negatives to light.

I think I'm going to try it--I'm going back to my old stylist who knows me best even though she charges an arm and a leg (and the other leg), I think she'll be honest. She herself has a very cute cut that I might like. I'm used to spending at least 15 minutes with it every morning and I am not afraid of a bit of effort--I just wish that the effort turned out well, and it's not now! Thanks to you guys, I'm under no illusions that it will necessarily be easier and I will be prepared for the shock factor. My appointment's at 8:00 am, so no wine for me at that hour, Rachel! I may hit myself up with a expresso, though, on the way!

Thanks, Beth, for sending your pic I think your cut is very flattering and cute! I'll send pics along after and let you all know how it turned out!

Allison

alkagift
05-14-2004, 02:28 PM
Malisa and Debbi,
Thanks to you both for your encouragement, since you've seen my hair you know what I'm aggravated about! And you both have cute haircuts yourselves!

Malisa, how brave of you to cut your hair without your husband knowing! I've been prepping mine for a week: "You know, honey, I'm going in on Saturday for a haircut and it's likely to be SHORT...."

Allison

Sarah1
05-14-2004, 02:30 PM
Allison (my Gainesville pal),

I'd go for it. You will miss the ponytail, but sometimes, you need a change. It will grow back! You say it's driving you nuts, and I know just what you mean--I've been there.

About 3 years ago, I cut my hair really short (a bob right above chin length, no bangs)--I went from having it long (a few inches past shoulders), so it was a pretty dramatic change. It felt good, although it was a little scary while the chick was chopping all my hair off (and I went in to someone I'd never seen before--THAT was a huge mistake).

The new cut was really fun for a while. I loved how my shoulders looked, and I felt a lot lighter without all my heavy hair. Also, when we would go out, I would do this thing where I'd kind of slick my hair back (I'd compare the look to Trish's from The Bachelor, if you watch that! it was a fun look). DH loved it!

After a while, though, I missed having my ponytail, so I grew it out. But I don't regret the cut at all. It was fun while it lasted, and like I said, I enjoyed the change! I've actually been toying with the idea of cutting my hair shorter, too, now that summer is here and my long hair starts to feel so heavy.

Let us know how it looks!