PDA

View Full Version : Toddler mouth/lip injury

gremlin44
05-13-2004, 12:30 PM
My 20 month old son Kevin decided to climb out of his crib at naptime yesterday and fell flat on his face. He's got some lovely chin/nose abrasions, half his face is swollen, and his teeth cut (but didn't pierce through) his lower lip.

This morning the inside of his lip just looks horrible. I'm trying
to find what sorts of things (homeopathic or otherwise) that I can
put inside his lip to help speed the healing and avoid infection. He
likes having his teeth brushed, so we will do that frequently to keep
his mouth clean. Unfortunately he's doing some molar teething, so
his fingers are in his mouth a lot lately--and that has his dad
concerned about infection.

Any ideas for healing/infection control? He doesn't seem to be in
pain from it in his mouth, so that's not the main issue.

barbarhow
05-13-2004, 02:00 PM
Ouch. Your poor babe. There isn't really too much to do. You can't really put bacitracin on the area. Tooth brushing is good. Rinsing or even just water drinking is good. The mouth is very vascular which is why it bleeds so much anytime there is trauma to it. This is also essential to healing. The increased blood flow to the area will help stave off infection. Just keep an eye on it-if it becomes more swollen, has pus like drainage then you should see your doctor.
I wish I were up on homeopathic rememdies to help with that angle. Sorry.

Thatchermom
05-13-2004, 07:06 PM
DS put his teeth all the way through his lip a few months back on the playground. Ped. told us just to give him popsicles to help the swelling and keep the outside clean, which you don't have to worry about since they didn't break through. Oh, and Motrin, though it was maybe just to ease our pain. Honestly, I think it hurt my friend who was watching him worse than it hurt him - he was eating pepperoni pizza within about a half hour of doing it. It did look worse in the 2 days or so after, but healed SO FAST you won't believe it. In about a week you couldn't tell it had ever happened. He did also tell us to watch the teeth that did the damage for a few weeks to be sure they were not loose or damaged in any way. He'll be fine soon! Looks like somebody wanted you to know he is ready for a toddler or big boy bed!