PDA

View Full Version : grad school app help needed

s_gosney
05-13-2004, 02:29 PM
So I'm writing my 2-3 page statement of goals and I had some questions I wanted to get opinions on. There are some bad semesters on my transcript due to all sorts of things (uncertainty/dislike of major, burnout, overcommitment to other things/lack of commitment to school, etc), so I really want to explain those at some point. My last 3 semesters have been really good (2 4.0's in a row and I had a baby in October woohooo! end of brag, sorry. ;)) Anyway, I think that says a lot, but I would still like to not just leave the commitee hanging, wondering "what happened here?" Most of the faculty knows me personally (taking a newborn to class helps you to stick out :)), but few of them know the whole situation, and one of them who did advised me to address it in my "personal statement". Problem is, there is no personal statement, only the goals. So, right now I have included about 3/4 of a page of history/explanation which really does tie into my goals now. My question is, do you think this is okay or should I just make up my own personal statement and submit that separately? Thanks for any insight!

Rachels
05-13-2004, 02:36 PM
I've sat on the application / interview committees for a doctoral program several times, and I was always glad to see that kind of stuff explained. Lots of people have iffy stuff in their history somewhere, and it was always more convincing to me for them to acknowledge and address it than to just have it in there somewhere. It also really helps illustrate that the subsequent semesters represent a change or turning point. I've seen people put it in the statement and submit it as a separate thing, and I don't think it matters. If you're talking about goals, then I can see how it might easily tie into that. I would say that the most important time to keep it separate is if it hijacks or interferes with what the personal statement is supposed to accomplish or answer to. HTH!

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

s_gosney
05-13-2004, 03:20 PM
Thanks, Rachel. I tried to incorporate it the best that I could. Plus it helps fill out the page requirement. A big part of why I'm going to grad school is to help find more detailed goals. Do you think it's a big deal if it's 1/3 page too long though?
Really lame question, but when they say 2-3 pgs, I'm assuming they mean double spaced. Is this correct?
Thanks a million!

Rachels
05-13-2004, 03:22 PM
Yes, and I wouldn't worry about the length. You can always try a few fonts and see if that helps at all, too.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

alexsmommy
05-14-2004, 11:02 AM
I agree completely with Rachel. I am actually taking a break from comleting grade sheets for one of the grad classes I teach. I have both sat on admission committees and written recommendations for other students. I think most people appreciate an explanation of unusually low grades as well as acknowledge the maturity it takes to take responsibility for what caused the poor grades (if it was something avoidable). Maturity will go a long way in grad school and for my money, will make up for an early poor sememster or two. If you can tie it into the goals, great, but if it's taking over, I'd put it in a cover letter or a personal statement. Since it sounds like they know you already, they will most likely make an effort to include this information in their decision. Best of luck.
Alaina
Alex 2-4-03

s_gosney
05-14-2004, 11:26 AM
Thanks Alaina and Rachel! I really appreciate the advice!