PDA

View Full Version : To clip or not to clip?

emilyr
05-13-2004, 03:37 PM
Ashton has been in speech therapy for 6 months now and has "said" about 16-20 words. Not that he uses more than oh, four or five on a regular basis, but anyway, back to the subject at hand.

The speech pathologist usually sees him at the babysitters but we were at home last week and she mentioned that he seemed to have a short frenulum and told me that many of the local docs don't like to clip them anymore and that we should do some exercises with him to stretch it. (i.e. lick an ice cream cone or popsicle, blow bubbles) Who would have thought we would actually be encouraging our two year old to stick out his tongue?!

Noelle had a drs. visit today so I asked if she thought this could be the problem and if she would recommend to have it clipped. (NO I didn't take him with me and do the "while we're here..." bit and she was fine with me asking) He sees her at the first of June and she said that even though it was contraindicated most of the time, if the speech pathologist thought that this was the problem with his speech development, or lack of, that she would definitely refer him to an ENT to have it clipped.

So, do we clip or not? Also, DH thinks that this is definitely the problem as to why Ashton is not talking. I am not worried about the delay yet. (Einstein didn't talk until he was four) However, DH is not impressed with the speech pathologist and the lack of progress in expressive speech. He (DH) at this point would not even think twice about clipping and would probably think that it would be the "miracle cure". This is also a man who will take a pill for every pain, sneeze or sniffle, so I almost hesitate to bring up the conversation with the dr. until she looks at it and we spend the next weeks working on the stretching exercises. Plus, it gives me a reason to have ice cream in the house!

Sorry this is so long. TIA for any insight or experiences!

Emily

newbelly2002
05-13-2004, 03:54 PM
Being a Mama is such hard work. Having to make decisions about our little ones well beings. Darn, I can barely make corect decisions about my own well being. I don't envy your position.

That said, I had mine clipped when I was about 12 years old. I had had always had a decent lisp, but no one knew why. It was discovered one day at the dentist when he asked me to put my tongue to the roof of my mouth. I told him he was crazy no one could do that. Turns out only I couldn't do it. So I got it clipped and spent the next year in speech therapy. It helped my speech considerably, don't think stretching would have been an option as the darn thing was just too short.

Is there a second opinion speech therapist you could ask for advice? I'd hate to see a child have an unnecessary procedure. Then again, I'd hate to see a child not have a necessary procedure. Certainly no harm in seeing what someone else would say.

Good luck!
Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02

egoldber
05-13-2004, 03:58 PM
My DD has been in speech therapy for almost 18 months. We are JUST now starting to see really significant improvement in her speech. Literally in the last 3 months her vocabulary has absolutely exploded and she is now talking in several word sentences.

Speech therapy is a slow process and it definitely takes time to show results. I'm not saying that clipping the frenulum may not help, but I know that is considered controversial today whereas it was routine years ago.

Also, 2 is still very young. Many two year olds have no words or very limited vocabulary. If it were my child, I wouldn't be in a hurry to seek out a physical correction at this age. It can't hurt to try the stretching exercises and you can still clip the frenulum in the future if the SP thinks it will help.

Also, if you are not happy with the SP, ask for a new one! There are many SPs out there. We have had two (changed service providers) and the second one is MUCH better than the first, although the first was OK.

Just my 2 cents,

emilyr
05-13-2004, 04:22 PM
Thank you, Beth. I was hoping you would give some insigt b/c I know you have had Sarah in therapy for awhile. Another qeustion... Has using sign language helped in your opinion? I have the ST dvd's but am waiting on the dvd player to arrive (don't ask). DH thinks that it will just encourage Ashton's attitude that he doesn't need to talk, that he can use signs.

To anyone, and I guess this may belong in the bitching forum.... but how do you get DH to read up on parenting or trust that you have done research and talked to other parents and therefore may have a clue as to what to do or try?

Thanks,
Emily

stella
05-13-2004, 04:38 PM
I am eagerly awaiting someone's answer to how to get a husband to read up on childrearing issues!! Mine NEVER has even though he's devoted to our children. I'll tell him something I've read and he'll say "that can't be right" without checking anything out for himself!!

It drives me crazy!

atlbaby
05-13-2004, 04:47 PM
I'd love to know this, too! I hear "That's ridiculous/crazy/stupid/etc" or "Where did you read/hear this? Well that book/doctor/expert/ is wrong. I know better." Devoted and loving father, yes. But please just either do some research or trust that I have!

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle Jill, 10/30/01
and Daliya Samantha, 10/27/03

lukkykatt
05-13-2004, 05:00 PM
I will start out by saying that I have no experience with this issue, but I would be very hesitant to do a permanent solution for what could be a temporary "problem". I am thinking that I would want it to be the solution of last resort, and I would try the non-surgical fixes first.

Again, I am no expert, but that is my gut reaction. Heck, it can't hurt to do the ice cream exercises (and it sounds fun!)

luvbeinmama
05-13-2004, 08:47 PM
Well, my DD is "tongue-tied" as well, when she sticks out her tongue, the middle won't go past her teeth. Anyway, she is almost 19 months old and her vocabulary is expanding rapidly at this point. She seems to be talking fine, and I don't see any problems with her speech right now. So, no, I don't think this is going to solve his speech problems. Not saying words is totally different from not being able to make certain sounds. If it's a matter of pronunciation, my 4 yo has problems with some letters even though his enunciation is excellent, so I still think it's probably too early to tell. My ped just keeps asking me if she's talking fine and feels if she is and it's not a problem for her then there is no need to clip it. So my gut reaction would be to wait and see if it really is a problem for his pronunciation.

COElizabeth
05-13-2004, 11:18 PM
I would definitely get other opinions before doing a surgical procedure, but by all means, try the stretching exercises if they involve ice cream!

FWIW, at 2 years old, my nephew said "da" for EVERYTHING - dog, mama, dada, you name it. He did go to speech therapy (no other treatments), and his speech is still not perfect, but at 6 years old, he talks up a storm, and he is certainly quite understandable.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

Jen in Chicago
05-14-2004, 10:19 AM
My friends just has this done to their 1 year old when he was getting his ear tubes. His was so short that it was the reason the LC consultants said he could not nurse. The Mom's sister is a speech therapist and recommended them going it now. I understand it is a quick procedure. The baby was himself withing 2 hours after his double surgery.

sntm
05-14-2004, 02:12 PM
I've never seen it done, but from what I understand it is very simple and can even be done as an office visit. Think more along the lines of ear piercing, etc. I don't think it will do any harm to give it a few weeks/months, though.

As an aside:
Apparently, midwives used to keep one fingernail long and would swipe it under baby's tongue after birth in case the frenulum was short, right before they put baby to mom's breast.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

emilyr
05-14-2004, 02:35 PM
Thanks everyone. DH and I talked more about it last night and decided to wait for a little while and see what happens. From what I researched yesterday, if he can stick his tongue out past his lower gum, there is probably not as big of a problem. Most of what I found dealt with nuring issues though and we nursed just fine after the first 48 hours.

I did go to Walmart today and got ice cream & cones. After this time, we'll probably make homemade (YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!) DS was with me and kept tring to open the box of cones and putting the ice cream to his face and doing his version of brrr.

Thanks,
Emily

cchavez
05-14-2004, 02:44 PM
I am a speech pathlogist but am currently a SAHM. I was taught in grad school that clipping the frenulum is not always necessary and usually not recommended. Try the exercises....even use lollipops too! Ask you SLP for SPECIFIC exercise/activities and information to help DH better understand your son's speech delay. SLP's are not just supposed to do therapy they are supposed to educate....she should have some literature and should be willing to talk to your DH. hth

tinkerbell1217
05-14-2004, 03:03 PM
My DD had hers clipped at age 4 and it was done via laser. She did have to be under anesthetic and it was not fun, but she was fine and went home within an hour or two. Before that, we had an evaluation for speech therapy and they wouldn't even consider doing therapy til she had it clipped. Once she did, they did therapy with her for a year and she was just fine with her speech. DD could always talk, she just couldn't make specific sounds sometimes. Mostly T's. I am glad we did it.

Kelly