PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to take a newborn outside?

Judegirl
05-13-2004, 07:52 PM
She's 9 days old...gaining weight, eating enough, etc....it's a nice evening....do you think it's okay take her out for a car ride, a walk in her stroller, or in public (i.e. a restaurant)? Or is it too soon?

Thanks!

Jude

cuca_
05-13-2004, 07:59 PM
As long as you are not taking her to a very crowded place, I would go ahead and take her out. If you don't want people getting too close to her, simply keep the hood of her stroller/carseat open. I took my DD out to lunch at about ten days, and it was nice to get out of the house. Have fun and congratulations on your new baby!

HTH,

Carmen

Marisa6826
05-13-2004, 08:24 PM
Knock yourself out!

Just don't let anybody too close to her - no hand grabbing or breathing on her. A Bjorn with a light blanket over it works well.

I'm amazed you even have the energy to do more than get up and pee ;)

-m

Rachels
05-13-2004, 08:29 PM
Yep! Go for it. Just keep her hands under a blanket or something so nobody can grab them. :)

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

egoldber
05-13-2004, 08:36 PM
We were in Target and Barnes&Noble the day after I was discharged. :)

toomanystrollers
05-13-2004, 10:05 PM
Beth - too funny!!

Jude,
Go for it :) Pouches and slings come in handy for keeping a newborn close by and away from prying hands.

aliceinwonderland
05-13-2004, 10:22 PM
and everyday since. Staying inside the house makes me crazy...I have to go for at least one stroll a day... We walked for a couple of hours yesterday to Harvard Square and back :) :)

candybomiller
05-13-2004, 10:36 PM
Absolutely! Like Beth, we were out shopping the day after I was discharged. We just covered his carrier with a blanket so people couldn't get their germs all over him. Definitely go show your precious bundle off! (at a distance of course) :)

jd11365
05-13-2004, 10:40 PM
Yep! Took Kayla EVERYWHERE...even to my classroom (at 3 weeks) to see my 3rd grade class who watched her grow in my ever-increasing belly for 9 months. Just use obvious judgement when strangers approach too closely. Enjoy showing her off!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

tina-t
05-13-2004, 10:42 PM
Candy, Beth, I am amazed with your energy level! I felt like a zombie for a few months after delivery :)

Jude, if you feel like it, go ahead. But like the other ladies said, use a light blanket over the stroller or use a sling to keep well meaning people away from your baby.

candybomiller
05-13-2004, 10:57 PM
I have to admit, I had a great labor and delivery. And I go stir-crazy super easy! I can't handle being cooped up in the house.

jubilee
05-14-2004, 02:51 AM
COngrats on your baby! A little sun will be good for her!

jk3
05-14-2004, 08:50 AM
We went out right away-a perk of having a spring baby! You've probably already taken her to the pediatrician so she has been out already. We always brought DS into a restaurant in his carseat with the canopy so that limited close exposure. If you feel up to it, take the baby out!

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

Jen in Chicago
05-14-2004, 10:12 AM
Go for it! Jude during my maternity leave only was home for an entire day once. We walked and walked. I had my "usual" nursing places. We have a priceless picture of 3 babies (Jude 1 week only) at a bar for lunch (outdoor seating)- Maternity Leave Lunch for Moms. I knew my life had changed when I was nursing my baby at a bar I used to be at until closing, it was a milestone. To get to it we walked over a mile each way. I treasure the picture I have of the 3 boys all lined up.

We traveled from Chicago to Buffalo when Jude was 2 weeks old and I had the green light from the Dr. He told me to get Jude out each day. I did not have him around for the big events, but he was always close by with Grandma and Grandpa.

The Baby Bjorn is GREAT for public settings b/c no one will really try to touch the baby. When walking with a stroller you will have the baby all covered for the sun, so again, people won't touch.