PDA

View Full Version : How long are people contagious after a stomach virus?

LucyG
05-14-2004, 08:20 AM
We are supposed to get together with out-of-town friends this weekend. They (both parents and one of the kids) have had a nasty diarrhea/vomiting/fever bug in the past two weeks, with the last victim finally feeling better this Tuesday (three days ago). It lasted 3-4 days per person, and sounds like no fun at all. My gut feeling is that we should cancel, as I am not keen on exposing DH, DD and myself to the potential misery of gastroenteritis. In fact, I am a total vomit-phobe, and will do anything to avoid contracting such a bug. Is there an "official" rule on how long a person remains contagious after a virus like this? I don't want to take ANY chances!

lukkykatt
05-14-2004, 08:28 AM
DS once had something like that and his ped said that he was contagious as long as he had diarrhea. If they are all well as of Tuesday, I would think that the visit should be fine.

Imperia
05-14-2004, 08:33 AM
In general, once the fever is gone you are no longer contagious from a virus.

HTH

Imperia

Calmegja2
05-14-2004, 08:42 AM
The CDC has guidelines for it, in general, And I believe it's something like 3 days from the last episode.

I'll go look ....

3 days....yup

http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/revb/gastro/norovirus-qa.htm

From the article:

People infected with norovirus are contagious from the moment they begin feeling ill to at least 3 days after recovery. Some people may be contagious for as long as 2 weeks after recovery. Therefore, it is particularly important for people to use good handwashing and other hygienic practices after they have recently recovered from norovirus illness.

LucyG
05-14-2004, 10:55 AM
Are they airborne, by contact only, both or some other way? Thanks for the tips so far!

COElizabeth
05-14-2004, 11:09 AM
Someone recently posted in the "bitching post" that rotavirus can be contagious for 10 days after symptoms have ceased. I don't know ANYONE who keeps their kids and themselves home for 10 days after diarrhea has stopped, but I did read that those viruses can linger for weeks on surfaces, so I suppose that could be right. Ugh.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04