PDA

View Full Version : Bush Supporters: Why do you support George Bush?

llcoddington
05-14-2004, 10:27 AM
After reading through the Nick Berg post and reading reasons people don't support Bush, I am wondering what reasons people have for supporting Bush. I am a Bush supporter for a number of reasons. Two very important issues to me are abortion and gay marriage.

I am hoping people respond to this post, as I am sticking my neck out in what seems to be a largely anti-Bush message board.

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

kathsmom
05-14-2004, 10:45 AM
Lana,

I am a supporter of George W. Bush. I totally agree with you about the abortion and gay marriage issues.

As far as the war, I am totally supportive of him and of all our men and women who are serving our country, both here and everywhere in the world. I am disgusted and sickened by what happened to Nick Berg. But, most of the people in these countries where we are fighting have been indoctrinated with hate for the Western world from birth. What did we, as a country, do to deserve 9-11? Absolutely nothing. Should we have just let 9-11 happen and not react at all? I don't think so.

I know that I am very much in the minority in my views on these message boards. Before anyone flames me, please remember that I have not attacked any one on these boards in the nearly 2 years that I have been here. I totally disagree with most of the members here politically and religiously, but I have not attacked anyone for their beliefs or opinions. I just ask that you respect my beliefs and views as I have respected yours.

ppshah
05-14-2004, 10:57 AM
I pretty much believe in individualism. Therefore the less government interference in my life the better. However both parties try to dictate how I should live my life.

The Republicians try to tell me I shouldn't have an abortion & I should go to church on Sunday ( I'm not christian!) etc

The Democrats want to tell me how I should spend my hard earned money.

Well in the end I'm going to vote for the person who's least likely to raise my taxes and that's going to be Bush.

redhookmom
05-14-2004, 10:59 AM
Thanks for sharing your views. It takes courage to to express yourself when you are in the minority.

peanut4us
05-14-2004, 11:28 AM
Good luck getting many of us to stick our necks out Lana LOL! Ready for the crucifixion?

I wanted to say something about this in hte Berg thread, but I realized that it wasn't the appropriate place. So thanks for giving me this opportunity.

I'm just going to say that I agree with the gay marriage thing and leave that where it is.

Far more important to me is the need for a leader who is not afraid to do what it takes to make our country secure and it is naive to think that we can make our country secure wihtout "going after the bad guys". This is going to sound harsh, but, would you rather have us go after them and end up killing innocent civilians in the process on their home turfs... or would you rather wait for htem to come after us and have innocent civilians killed on our turf. That's the reality. Period. And I stand behind Bush's decision to go into Afghanistan, and his decision to take out Saddam.

Are we committing our military for a long time, yes. To think otherwise is naive. Do I like the killing of our military personnel, no. I live near Fort Hood and see the news reports of our local boys who have lost their lives on a weekly basis.

As for the prison abuse, it is horrific. And we are not the first to have done it, nor will we be the last. It doesn't excuse it and each soldier involved should be punished to the fullest extent of the law. But the Berg thing, I don't know. I feel so awful for his family. And I know it was retaliation, but please don't think that it might NOT have happened without the prison abuse scandal anyway. I spent about 8 years in Saudi Arabia growing up, in Jeddah. My father flew for the royal family. We lived in an international compound. When I was about 7 or 8 years old, our compound was raided by the military because some idiot american got pissed drunk and shot his wife who he thought was having an affair. The bullet only grazed her and she was able to run to a neighbors... where the neighbor couple and another couple were drinking homemade wine. A very common hobby among the foreigners was making homemade wine. Drinking is forbidden in Saudi Arabia. So the police showed up and took the man and wife and alleged adulterer and the 2 drinking couples into custody. They went to a Saudi prison. And there they stayed for MONTHS before the US could get them out. They were all 7 americans. Every Wednesday, I went with my mom and dad (or other male driver, women can't drive) to the prison to deliver things like toilet paper, feminie hygiene products, fresh fruit and bread. We tossed stuff to the women prisoners through a set of bars and there was baout 4 feet to the next set of bars... open air prisons... roofs but not solid wall on one side... just bars. The floors were made of dirt. There were no toilets. We had to aim well for our people or the other women would fight them to get the items.

The shooter husband later said that when he was interrogated the police said he was right to try to kill his wife... even if he wasn't 100% sure of her guilt. A good wife shouldn't make you wonder. But where he was in the wrong was that he did it with a gun... also illegal to own in SA. So, if he had stabbed her, he wouldn't be in jail. Nice.

One Wednesday, the square you have to pass through to access the prison was particularly full. We thought it might have been some holiday... until dad noticed the raised platform in the middle of the square had people on it. My dad was about 2 seconds to late to shield my eyes from the sight of a head being severed from a mans body. The shouts from the crowd were fevered and happy. We quikcly went to make our deliveries and leave. My father later reported that they removed many hands and tongues that day too.

Now then. I will also say that most of the Arabs I know, I adore. Never will you make more fiercly loyal friends. but their laws are based on Islam and they take a much more barbaric way of punishment than we do. When I think back on it though, I am not so disturbed at the fact that they beheaded someone, rather that the viewers were so jubilant with it... that I remember seeing little boys my age there raised up on there father's shoulders holding their arms up in the air like "victory".

That's it. That's reality. Those children are grown today... what are they teahing their children. How much worse does it get each generation.

So how does this related back to my support for Bush. Well, I sure as heck don't believe that Gore would have done the same. Bush is trying to get the upper hand and I support that. And I'll support him again this November. Kerry worries me in a war situation. If he takes all the troops out, what will each iraqi civilian life and soldier's life who dies have been worth. The pervasive terrorism in this world can't be fixed over night or even over a year or two. Many, many years. I hate war, but I also see that this is how things have been settled throughout history. I'm not saying it's a good way. But I'm saying it is how it happens.

Last comments. I will NOT be responding to any antagonistic posts to my post. I'm not going there, so don't bother. I would remind any of you who hate bush that this thread is addressed to those who support Bush. You might do better to start a thread of why you support Kerry than respond here. And Lana and Toni. We are not in a largely anti-Bush board. I can't tell you how many emails I get when I stick my conservative neck out from supporters who are unwilling to get openly roasted because they are not comfortable with it. So onward women! Vote your vote. This year it's really going to count.

mommd
05-14-2004, 11:40 AM
I just wanted to say that I completely agree with what's been said already. Bush's views on abortion and gay marriage are in line with mine, and I'm happy he was the one in power after September 11th. Has he made mistakes? Sure, but don't all leaders? There are some things I don't like that he's done, but I do agree with the vast majority of his decisions.

It does seem like this board is anti-Bush, but not as much as urbanbaby or others I've seen. I hope this thread can be peaceful.

kathsmom
05-14-2004, 11:40 AM
Joey,

Thank you so much for sharing your experience of living in Saudi Arabia. It is very eye-opening what you experienced while you lived there.

Also, you so eloquently expressed my thoughts and beliefs in your post. I am not good when it comes to conveying my view in the written word. Everything that you expressed in your post is what I believe.

Thanks again!

JulieL
05-14-2004, 11:46 AM
Not trying to rain on anyones parrade, but...

Guys I know you are trying to have a open discussion here but don't know if you have noticed in the past that political debates here are NOT a good thing. There have been SEVERAL discussions that were meant well that just went way off the deep end. I caution you know cause I see were this could be going. Were mom's maybe we should just keep it at that. Sorry if you think I am down on freedom of speech but I just think the past has shown it's not good for the community to get on these kind of very personal debates.

mharling
05-14-2004, 11:47 AM
Joey -
I know you have felt like you're in the minority and I applaud you (and Lana, Kathi & Purvi) for speaking out.

I am replying to you because of what you said about receiving supportive e-mails when you stick your neck out. I truly believe that people are uncomfortable speaking up about lots of things here(and I don't mean just the religious or political topics). As an example, I remember Liza responding to a thread a few months a go, mentioning CIO and saying that it didn't necessarily have much support on these boards. That really stuck with me and I began thinking that CIO is probably not nearly as unpopular as these boards would make us believe.

I know this doesn't relate specifically to whether you support Bush or not, but I think you pointed out a much bigger reality of this community. I, for one, have been trying to speak more openly about the things I do, have done or believe.

Who wants to join me???

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
[link:www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b370a2992536|Birthday Pics!!]

amp
05-14-2004, 11:52 AM
Joanna, as usual, has said it with more ablomb than I could possibly muster. I will simply say that I also support Bush. I am 110% relieved and glad that he was our president following 9/11. While I hate the thought of losing our men and women over in Iraq, Afganistan, and everywhere else, I am also behind Bush on this matter of war. And I support the troops and their families, who give up so much to fight this war. We may not like the things we've seen and heard of late, but I would remind you that the things we've seen our own people do to prisoners does not even come close to resembling the atrocities that have been visited upon the people of Iraq (and other places) by an evil dictator and his empire, and the atrocities and hate they have visited on the American people. As Joey said, in no way are we saying every Iraqui is bad, but so many have been indoctrined from early childhood with hatred for Americans and the USA. What we are doing over there...trying to set up a new government is a good thing, but it comes at a cost. Saddam should have been dealt with long ago and I'm glad it's finally happened.

ppshah
05-14-2004, 12:03 PM
Okay I just read the Nick Berg thread. I see most of the discussion is about Bush's policy on "War on Terrorism". Well this is a difficult issure without any easy solution. I just don't understand how we can be expected not to react to 9/11 and all the other terrorist attacks. Just withdraw our troops from Iraq and go about our business? We tried that already during the Clinton administration ( after the attack on USS cole, embasies etc.)- it didn't work. 9/11 happened anyway. I agree AQ is everywhere and we're never going to be able to completely secure our country. However we have to make a valiant effort to weaken the "enemy".

As war as the war in Iraq only being to eliminate the weapons of mass destruction. Well you can't just go in there- take out Saddam and his weapons and then just leave the country in mass chaos.

I agree that prisoner abuse is horrible and those involved should be prosecuted. Unfortunately this is part of the horrible price of war- including civilian casualities & death of our troops etc. We should do everything in our power to minimize these events.

All that being said- I am not too happy with all the constitutional rights being set aside in the name of "Homeland Security".

Do I wish 9/11 had never happened. Sure. Do I wish if the US didn't interfere with other countries business then the terrorist would leave us alone. Of course. Is this reality. No.

bluej
05-14-2004, 12:32 PM
I don't think it's any secret that I'm a Bush supporter. Is he a perfect President? No. But I would much rather have him than Gore (I'm very thankful Gore didn't win the election and don't get me started on the popular vote issue) or Kerry.

I believe in this war. Many said they are scared of the world today b/c of what is going on in Iraq. Well I'm scared of what would have happened if we would have sat back and done nothing (keep in mind President Bush said we are going after ALL terrorists, not just the ones involved in 9/11). I believe AQ would have kept on attacking and the many other US-haters out there would have viewed us as weak and would have joined in on the attacks. Attacks on the US are nothing new, it's just usually not on our own soil. 9/11 hit home and it became real to many people. But the fact is it was real all along and we just didn't take it seriously.

People bitch when we sit back and do nothing and they bitch when we go in and take care of business. Countries cry that we are trying to govern them, other countries cry because we aren't helping them. It would suck to be President and I wouldn't want that responsibility and I really have to question people who say they (or a monkey) can do a better job. Really? Well get started on your campaign and let's see how you do.

jasabo
05-14-2004, 01:06 PM
I'm a very proud Republican for many reasons, primarily economic. I believe Democrats think they know better what to do with my money then I do, and they also think they have the right to take my money and give it to others. I believe it's up to me what to do with my money.

I absolutetly COMPLETELY disagree with the Republicans and the FCC on their crackdowns on so-called indecency on the radio and TV. I think all radios and TV's come with an OFF button - if you don't like what's on, turn it off, but don't tell me what I can watch and listen to. However, the D's are just as guilty of this as the R's are. I think most of it is just political in the end, as are most things that go on in DC. Having lived there most of my life and worked in PR and Hill-related projects, it's a little disheartening to see what really goes on, on both sides of the aisle. I think BOTH parties are guilty of it.

I'm a supporter of George W because I think he's done a good job in a very difficult time. I do not feel that John Kerry would have done any better, nor will he if he wins. Yes, the war is hard. And yes, W made a mistake with the whole "airliner fiasco" saying that we won the war. He's made mistakes. But every president does. The fact is, we're in a very difficult time right now. While we may have created, back in the '80's, many of the messes we're cleaning up now in Afghanistan and Iraq, the fact is we have to clean them up. We left Afghanistan for all those years, and it was/is a mess. In Iraq, Saddam Hussein was an evil man. Though we don't know if he had WMD recently, he certainly had them when he used them on the Kurds. He ruled that country with an iron fist of cruelty and terror. How anyone can say that those people were better off with him and his sons as dictators is beyond me.

I am heartbroken at all the soldiers who've been killed during this war. But no one EVER said it'd be easy. Rumsfeld has always said it'd be hard fight, though I think they could have done a better job with putting that out there. And no country has ever been created in just a few months. We're STILL in Bosnia, and it's been years! It took us hundreds of years to get our country to where it is now. People seem to forget how many soldiers died and how difficult it was for America to build a strong foundation of freedom. If it weren't for the fact that George Washington was such a good leader and our founding fathers had such vision, who knows where we'd be now. Hopefully we can find such visionaries to lead Iraq and Afghanistan too. I'm not suggesting that we "create them in our image." I'm suggesting that we let the people decide. They had no freedom with Saddam, and it'll take time for them to adjust, but I have to believe it'll succeed. It has to.

9-11 changed the world. That's a fact. I believe it showed that we MUST take a stand on terrorism. They tried to blow up the Trade Center on Clinton's watch, and they knew about Al Quada and didn't take them seriously. I imagine Bush's team didn't take them seriously either. Which just goes to show what happens when you don't.

As for the prison abuse - it's sickening. Completely disgusting. However, to judge Bush and Rumsfeld based on what those few soldiers were doing is really reaching, IMO. Likewise with the horrid Berg murder. I feel so badly for his family. I can't imagine the pain they're in and I won't comment on his family's response. But for others to blame Bush for acts of terrorists is beyond me. The fact is, the radical Islamists HATE us. They hated us before the Iraq war. They use terror to get their way, ie, kidnapping citizens and offering to stop terrorizing their country for a few months if their troops are pulled out. They're trying to hold the entire world hostage.

I read some of the posts on the Berg thread, and I didn't respond because I disagreed with many of the opinions. However, I RESPECTED the right of people to post and didn't start a flame war on the thread. I would hope that those who disagree with the Bush support posts would do the same.

Lisa - mom to 11 month old twin boys

lag555
05-14-2004, 01:07 PM
I posted a pretty long post on the Nick Berg thread making many of the points I see people here have made. Of course, my post has already been pooh-poohed. I would just like to reiterate that it is much easier to make the "war is bad because people get hurt" argument (and feel righteous about it, too) then it is to make an argument about how sometimes war is necessary and can benefit society.

And quite frankly, as many of you pointed out, this whole election is about more than Iraq.

Aggie

edited for grammar

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-14-2004, 01:39 PM
I've yet to read all of the responses, and like you all, I would assume, there isn't much going to deter any of us from our views...but I feel better having a thread on both views that is for certain for I think it is a great way to keep our community inviting of others views and to not have a dominate force and leave another to feel like they can not speak up...

So I for one thank you for starting this thread!!!!!
I would NEVER in a million years try to get someone to think differently than they do, and have no desire to ever debate anyone on their views, it is nice to share our thoughts, even if heated thoughts and I just feel better knowing that you started this thread and that folks feel welcome to respond with their views even if the minority...
edited only to say I wouldn't bank on it being the minority...

I also hope they are not debated on what they say...
thanks for having the gusto :)...it is helpful to our community...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

mommyj_2
05-14-2004, 01:55 PM
"One Wednesday, the square you have to pass through to access the prison was particularly full. We thought it might have been some holiday... until dad noticed the raised platform in the middle of the square had people on it. My dad was about 2 seconds to late to shield my eyes from the sight of a head being severed from a mans body. The shouts from the crowd were fevered and happy. We quikcly went to make our deliveries and leave. My father later reported that they removed many hands and tongues that day too."

The scene you describe is oddly reminiscent of the masses of US citizens watching the bombing of Iraq on tv and cheering. It isn't as if those bombs weren't killing people. It also mirrors the images in the photographs of the prisoner abuse by American troops.

"Now then. I will also say that most of the Arabs I know, I adore. Never will you make more fiercly loyal friends."

This statement echoes the same racist rhetoric that was used in the 19th century by Westerners in Africa and Asia. You've argued that Arabs are barbaric and filled with hate and then attempted to soften the obvious racism by saying that most of the Arabs you know are the most loyal friends you can find. This statement still singles out Arabs as different from other people.

sntm
05-14-2004, 02:02 PM
Lana, I'm also a Bush supporter. I'm proud to have shook hands with both him and Bush senior. I agree with him on a number of important issues, like abortion (a big issue for me after seeing one prior to med school), economic issues, free trade, foreign policy, and the military. My husband is also a big Bush supporter, especially as an Army officer with a degree in economics! I disagree with him on issues like the environment (to a degree), gay marriage, and other smaller issues. And I think that Bush is an honorable person, which to me is a major selling point.

I fully recognize that no candidate is perfect, though. I'm a pretty strong Republican but would consider other candidates, but I've never seen a Democratic candidate in my voting lifetime that I felt comfortable with.

ETA: whoo, i just read the nick berg thread. I've been having interesting conversations with my DH about all this. His interpretations of things going on is very interesting given his military background. He is of the opinion that if the general public had a true understanding of what goes on during war and what is known about issues in Iraq and elsewhere that is not made public, that many who are opposed to the war would understand better why so many think it is the right decision.

Also regarding military service and presidential leadership, I think (and DH reports that this is the belief of most people in the military, particularly officers) that it is less important whether or not a president served in the military than how they support their troops, and that Democratic candidates tend to pay more lip service than actual physical support to the military.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

MartiesMom2B
05-14-2004, 02:41 PM
Lana:

I applaud you and the others for posting this. I wouldn't ever think of any of my friends differently on the boards due to the their political/religious opinion. I grew up in a household with an insanely liberal mother fighting with her extremely conservative brother. From listening to their fights, I think I've developed an open ear and mind. I actually like to hear different sides of a story because I feel that both sides are valid and I can see positives in both.

I wouldn't definie myself as a Republican or Democrat. I guess you can consider me a fiscal conservative because I agree with the Republican's stance on economics. I don't agree with most of the social issues, aside from what I view as family values.

I hope that others will post their view without name calling (on both sides please). I feel that when you name call or belittle the opponent you make your argument/view weaker.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

jasabo
05-14-2004, 02:49 PM
....The scene you describe is oddly reminiscent of the masses of US citizens watching the bombing of Iraq on tv and cheering. It isn't as if those bombs weren't killing people. It also mirrors the images in the photographs of the prisoner abuse by American troops....

I don't remember ANY footage showing "masses of US citizens"..."cheering" while watching the bombing in Iraq. If anything, people have been very reverent and respectful, IMO.

Likewise, the scene she described is oddly reminiscent (to steal your words) of the footage of SOME Arabs dancing in the streets in New Jersey after 9-11 and other killing of Americans, and the footage of people cheering in the streets as the bodies of murdered American citizens were displayed after being killed in Iraq.

I don't doubt there were SOME Americans "cheering" while watching the bombing, but I absolutely beg to differ with "masses" of them. The fact is, there are people everywhere in every culture who have no respect for human life.

Lisa - mom to 11 month old twin boys

mommyj_2
05-14-2004, 02:52 PM
"The fact is, there are people everywhere in every culture who have no respect for human life."

That was exactly my point.

C99
05-14-2004, 03:00 PM
>than how they support their troops, and that Democratic
>candidates tend to pay more lip service than actual physical
>support to the military.

I'm curious how you came up with that estimation?

mamicka
05-14-2004, 03:10 PM
First, Lana, Thank you so much for starting this thread. Ever since I first read the Nick Berg post I've been racking my brain about how I could show my support for George W & the "other side". You've done it in a wonderful way.

I agree with most of the other reasons that poeple have already posted about why they support George W. I am against both abortion & gay marriage, & I think he's an honorable, honest, moral man. I'm proud that he's my President. I feel that continuing to support him & the Republican party, in general, gives me more freedom, not less. I don't agree with everything republicans stand for but I agree with basically nothing that the democrats support. Does it bother me that people call Bush stupid & a bozo & criticize his mannerisms, the way he talks, etc? NO, not at all. I think those statements ring as hollow as they are & they speak volumes about the people who say them.

One really important point that I want to make is that we shouldn't assume that the Bush-haters are in the majority in this community. I think that in general those who hold those views are much more aggressive about expressing them. I also get the feeling that when I read their posts, they act as if people who disagree are, obviously, less informed. As if, how could anyone who knows what I know possibly come to a different conclusion than I have? As if, only an idiot would not see things my way. I'm also weary of hearing the racist/bigot accusations. I think that's a total copout & an easy way for them to look like/feel like they've won.

I am very well-informed about the current & past goings-on in the world... from both sides of the issue. I wholeheartedly support George W & the war on terror. I don't believe we are a terrorist nation in any way & no, I am NOT kidding myself. I believe that we, as a nation & as individuals, have done the wrong things at times. But there is a HUGE difference between good people doing bad things & evil people. Do I know how to discern the difference? Not always, no... but sometimes it's really obvious.

I've read some posts here that seem to imply that if we can't help all situations/peoples around the world, we shouldn't help any. Ridiculous.

Just for the record... I didn't watch any bombings on TV as if they were fireworks (freaking or otherwise), nor do I know anyone who did. Seeing those things only prompts me to pray even more for our soldiers, as well as our enemies & the citizens of their country, & for all the leaders involved.

I'm also not interested in a one-on-one (or many-on-one, as often happens) debate. I'm just stating my opinion as others already have.

Allison (Mamicka to Lawrence 6/17/03)

missym
05-14-2004, 03:15 PM
Hi Lana,

As you can tell from the number of posts already, you may not be as much in the minority as you thought! I, too, support Bush in the coming election. Am I thrilled with everything he's done? No. I personally don't agree on the gay marriage issue, and I think the administration has shot itself in the foot by its handling of some issues. However, I agree with his stance on most things, including the war, and I think overall he's been a good President.

Missy, mom to Gwen 03/03

sntm
05-14-2004, 03:24 PM
I couldn't quote anything (I don't know this first-hand), but according to DH, critical areas in the military go underfunded when budgets are determined by Democratic candidates. He used to tell me about problems with equipment that was going unused because of no money budgeted for repairs, and also his soldiers were pitifully underpayed, with many who had families receiving other support.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

rorycam
05-14-2004, 03:27 PM
Allison, I basically agree with all the Bush supporters in this thread, but your post particularly resonates with me and says just what I feel but could not express nearly as well. Thanks so much for posting.

Rory
mama to William 2/29/04

papal
05-14-2004, 03:34 PM
Me! I will join you Mary!! I do feel that sometimes these boards have a certain viewpoint and people who don't support it are often silent.. in many cases, they are the silent MAJORITY! But it does take courage to step up and say what you really feel, not what you think is popular.
So from now on, I will always say what i mean and mean what i say and not keep silent when i don't agree! :)

mik8
05-14-2004, 04:09 PM
I support Bush. He has been the most proactive president we've had in terms of countering terrorism and enhancing national security. Bill Clinton just had a little pinprick strike using a few cruise missiles on one of UBLs camps after the USS Cole, when he had the capacity to hit them much harder and probably even capture or kill UBL (they had Predator unmanned drone airplanes that got pictures of UBL and his entourage during Clinton's presidency right after the USS Cole). I think Bush made an earnest attempt to get UBL. I know there's a lot of controversy about going to war in Iraq based on falsified information etc., but I really think the world is another category safer with Saddam out of power. I think a lot of the negative publicity G.B.’s getting about the economy is not his fault, but just the natural extension of the recession that followed the collapse of the hyper-valued internet dotcom and other small company stocks, 9/11 etc. 9/11 was a collective fault of years and years of foul-ups in the FBI & CIA etc. that extend back through the Clinton presidency and much further, probably all the way back to Reagan and the first president Bush and the 1993 WTC bombing. So in many ways I think he has taken the heat for a lot of ailments in our country that were not necessarily his fault; he inherited a lot of problems. Is Bush perfect? Like anybody else he’s capable of erroneous decisions. That’s why presidents have advisers.

As has been reiterated by others, I'm just stating my opinion like many of the Bush supporters here have.

AngelaS
05-14-2004, 04:20 PM
I totally agree! :D

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-14-2004, 06:09 PM
I think it is nice when folks speak up, over many issues I have gotten tons of emails PM'd to me of folks afraid to speak up...and I think it wise for people to be a voice so we don't see these boards be a minority/majority on any issues...

It should be a safe haven for all of us...

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

memedee
05-14-2004, 06:19 PM
I do not agree with everything Bush has done either but I do think he will be a better President than John Kerry.
I am from Massachusetts and am very familiar with Kerry who frequently talks out of both sides of his mouth on many issues.
I agree with many of the Bush supporters here who have been silent to avoid controversy.

brubeck
05-14-2004, 06:37 PM
As a registered Republican I definitely support GW. I usually do not make political posts on this board because so many are vocally of opposite opinion and I don't want to be jumped on. Frankly I have better ways to spend my time. But this post drew my attention because of the positive way it was represented. Thanks for starting it Lana!

As a Republican in the San Francisco area you can imagine that I'm used to being in the minority. But at least we now have Governor Schwarzenegger who is doing a great job cleaning up the mess left by the Democrats who ran the state for the past 5 years.

Although I have some more left opinions (mostly being in favor of gun control) generally I tend to agree with Republican viewpoints. I don't think all abortion should be made illegal but I am certainly supportive of bans on partial birth abortions (especially after feeling my own 20 week fetuses kicking in my tummy) and I support GW's views on gay marriage, the death penalty and environmental issues. But most importantly I am a strong believer in Republican economic policy. Much as the Democrats like to cry foul, I do think that tax cuts have helped the economy significantly, and that in general business should be less regulated in order to thrive and be successful. I also feel like we have gone overboard with many social progams in this country and that can be seen almost every week on some news show where they 'expose' people who are scamming the system.

As for the war, I agree that we had to go over there to fight, and I prefer that the fight be there than here. That may be selfish but it's my gut feeling. With the atrocities, the big difference between us and Al' Quaida (sp?) is that when we make mistakes (such as prisoner treatment) they get exposed, we apologize and we take corrective action. The terrorists who beheaded Nick Berg or who helped with 9-11 don't think they have done anything wrong and never will. And their leaders would never dream of apologizing for the actions of their subordinates.

Whew! That felt good to get off my chest!

firstbaby
05-14-2004, 08:37 PM
After losing a family member on 9/11 George Bush has my whole-hearted support. His presidency and his actions have made me a proud American. Am I proud that we've gone to war? Absolutely not. But I can't imagine how Gore would have reacted (or not reacted) to the conflicts and challenges that we've had over the last few years. Thanks for your post Lana - I was totally feeling in the minority myself :)

Jenmv
05-15-2004, 01:41 AM
Another lurker Republican here. My reasons for supporting Bush are largely economic. I support tax cuts and am generally suspicous of government entitelment programs. The less government involvement in my life the better. Granted Bush has expanded some programs greatly but I certainly don't think that a Democrat in office would be doing less. I would prefer to see less judicial activism in our court systems and am highly annoyed at the increasing secularism in this country. I do support our military actions post 9/11. Of course mistakes have been made but you can't sit back and just continue being a target. I've long suspected that the real reason for going to war in Iraq was more of an attempt to establish a democracy in the Middle East. Whether or not this will be successful remains to be seen, but I don't fault the adminsistrations intentions. I'm also not concerned with whether or not the rest of the world likes us. It's human nature to want to bash the country on top. There is nothing we can do to change that. I hear a lot of misperceptions of what American life is like from many of my Canadian relatives. I really think the foreign press plays a large part of shaping how the general populace of other countries think about America.

I generally try to avoid political discussions on this board because it does seem to be a "gang up on them mentality" at times. Having said that I do appreciate hearing different viewpoints. I make a point of tuning into NPR as well as FOXNEWS and conservative radio. I like to hear what is going on from both sides. Like another poster mentioned, I resent the fact that some who disagree with a conservative position try to discredit their views as being ignorant, ill-informed, bigotted etc... Those sort of charges are not productive for either side.

Wheew! That does feel good to get off my chest. Thanks Lana.

jubilee
05-15-2004, 02:49 AM
I wish I was more eloquent and bold, so I could say appropreatly that I do support George W Bush.

He is a man with honor, that does not shame the office of President with lewd antics or lies.

He is a man that professes to answer to a higher power (God)- which is important, because I don't want a President to believe he, himself IS the highest power.

He is protective of the citizens of the US, and will ensure that our sense of safety within our own homes, our own country, is a priority and will be protected.

He believes babies, still growing in their mother's womb, are indeed alive and actually people. And he supports laws protecting those babies.

Somethings I don't like: I sure wish the intellience that said there was WMD in Iraq had been correct. The President and Congress started a war based on that. I can't fault Bush for the wrong info- he was acting (as was congress) in good faith that the intell was correct.

And of course I don't like that Iraqi prisoners have been mistreated- but each soldier that mistreated a prisoner made the decision to do so, those orders did not come from the President. He can't be blamed, and he is totally wanting the soldiers to be punished to the full extent.

Again, I wish I could say it better, but George W Bush will be getting my vote. And I have not spoken out before because the the "stigma" of siding one way or another. I've always thought I was in the minority here.

raynjen
05-15-2004, 01:53 PM
I started reading the Nick Berg post and started feeling terribly uncomfortable and unwelcome. As I read further in I decided I HAD to say something, as I started to reply I actually felt frightened/threatened (I could literally feel my heart pounding in my chest) - everyone who spoke a somewhat conservative view was completely trashed - I was astonished at how MEAN it got. I mainly hang out on the Toddler Boards and had no idea how intense the Baby Boards had gotten since I migrated.

I am a Bush supporter. I disagree with Kerry on too many points to even get started on them.

I think though, from now on, I'm going to stay away from this board and hope that the Toddler Boards never, ever get this out of whack.

By the way, for all of those who say "I support the military, but am against..." I am a military spouse, and I feel HATED here.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

Calmegja2
05-15-2004, 02:01 PM
Please don't feel hated here. No one here feels like that.

I think every single one of us who might be against the war has nothing but respect for the soldiers who are over there fighting.

They did not make the decisions we are critical of, and it is not incongruous to say that you support the military, support them being safe, and healthy, and out of harm's way.

I don't see that in any form as a criticism of a soldier, or hatred in any way, shape or form. To be concerned about the viability of a military operation, and to want it to be reformatted, or changed, does not translate into wishing ill upon any soldier, in any way.

I'm not trying to drag my thoughts on Bush on this thread, because they don't belong here, and I respect that, but I did not want you to think *that a desire for change in the current military strategy transfers as non support of the personnel*.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

Peace to you.

elvisfan
05-15-2004, 02:10 PM
I completely agree.....

And also(these are my words): If you(general you) think that the government of this country is so bad and that the American people are just as bad as the kind of radicals who murdered poor Nick Berg, then do us all a favor and get your collective asses out of the US and let those of us who actually appreciate the freedom we find here in the US alone to enjoy it.....
......>First, Lana, Thank you so much for starting this thread.
>Ever since I first read the Nick Berg post I've been racking
>my brain about how I could show my support for George W & the
>"other side". You've done it in a wonderful way.
>
>I agree with most of the other reasons that poeple have
>already posted about why they support George W. I am against
>both abortion & gay marriage, & I think he's an honorable,
>honest, moral man. I'm proud that he's my President. I feel
>that continuing to support him & the Republican party, in
>general, gives me more freedom, not less. I don't agree with
>everything republicans stand for but I agree with basically
>nothing that the democrats support. Does it bother me that
>people call Bush stupid & a bozo & criticize his mannerisms,
>the way he talks, etc? NO, not at all. I think those
>statements ring as hollow as they are & they speak volumes
>about the people who say them.
>
>One really important point that I want to make is that we
>shouldn't assume that the Bush-haters are in the majority in
>this community. I think that in general those who hold those
>views are much more aggressive about expressing them. I also
>get the feeling that when I read their posts, they act as if
>people who disagree are, obviously, less informed. As if, how
>could anyone who knows what I know possibly come to a
>different conclusion than I have? As if, only an idiot would
>not see things my way. I'm also weary of hearing the
>racist/bigot accusations. I think that's a total copout & an
>easy way for them to look like/feel like they've won.
>
>I am very well-informed about the current & past goings-on in
>the world... from both sides of the issue. I wholeheartedly
>support George W & the war on terror. I don't believe we are
>a terrorist nation in any way & no, I am NOT kidding myself.
>I believe that we, as a nation & as individuals, have done the
>wrong things at times. But there is a HUGE difference
>between good people doing bad things & evil people. Do I know
>how to discern the difference? Not always, no... but
>sometimes it's really obvious.
>
>I've read some posts here that seem to imply that if we can't
>help all situations/peoples around the world, we shouldn't
>help any. Ridiculous.
>
>Just for the record... I didn't watch any bombings on TV as
>if they were fireworks (freaking or otherwise), nor do I know
>anyone who did. Seeing those things only prompts me to pray
>even more for our soldiers, as well as our enemies & the
>citizens of their country, & for all the leaders involved.
>
>I'm also not interested in a one-on-one (or many-on-one, as
>often happens) debate. I'm just stating my opinion as others
>already have.
>
>Allison (Mamicka to Lawrence 6/17/03)

bluej
05-15-2004, 02:37 PM
First I want to state that this is MY opinion and I'm only speaking for myself and not for other military spouses or members. Saying you support the military by wishing they were home is not supporting them (IMO). We have a voluntary military, not a draft. Not one person is a member of the military involuntary. They are all doing exactly what they signed up to do. No, they don't know what specific war they may be fighting, where they may be fighting, what conditions they may be fighting under or the specific reasons they may be fighting, but when they sign the dotted line to become part of the military they are agreeing that they will fight if told to do so. Of course there are those who claim they never really thought they'd be involved in a war when they signed, but I think the vast majority know exactly what they are doing and what the consequences may be when they join the military and they do so proudly.

Calmegja2
05-15-2004, 02:44 PM
Okay, Jen.

We will have to respectfully agree to disagree, and I'm okay with that.

Rachels
05-15-2004, 03:30 PM
What a quagmire, then! Either you can support the soldiers which means agreeing with the war, or you're anti-military?! I have great respect for many in our armed services, and for their spouses. I reserve the right to strongly disagree with the cause for which they're being sent to die. If that translates to you as a personal hatred, I think that's awful. It is certainly not how I feel. Jessica said it beautifully. Having and expressing a differing opinion does not equal hate. I've never understood the thing where we all have to think the same way or it must mean we're enemies. Yikes.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

starrynight
05-15-2004, 07:15 PM
Jen please don't feel hated, I don't see how you feel hated because people disagree with a president or a war. I am a military spouse but am against war and frankly I hate bush.I'm not going to get into it or trash other's that do like him. this thread is a safe haven for those that do support him.I do support my husband and if he has to go so be it but I don't have to like it and feel that other people who say they don't like war or bush really can still support the military at the same time. To me those things are apples and oranges. I hope you feel welcome here enough to continue to post.

Everyone else, thank you for sharing your viewpoints and opinions even if they differ from other peoples.

toomanystrollers
05-15-2004, 07:43 PM
I'm a reg. Republican and that's pretty hard to admit in Massachusetts LOL

MommytoDylan
05-15-2004, 10:50 PM
I always avoid the debates as the heated discussions and sometimes harsh replies would really hurt my feelings if I was involved. I can be sensitive so I make that choice. I wanted to say, however, that I am proud to support George Bush and I am proud of the man that he is in public and in private.

Meredith

llcoddington
05-16-2004, 12:52 AM
It's WAY too late for me to be up, but I drank a big glass of iced tea earlier, so here I am. (Ugh! Someone please remind me that caffeine does this to me!)

I just want to say thanks. I enjoyed reading everyone's posts and now know that there are quite a few George Bush supporters on this board.

I agree that Bush is a man of character. I am proud of him for standing up for what he believes. He is a compassionate man. If any of you have read Lisa Beamer's Let's Roll, then you know a little of how he responded to the families after 9/11.

I don't support George Bush with blind faith as has been suggested. I see his weaknesses. But, I do agree with most of his policies.

A few other thoughts: I have no problem with people disagreeing with me and presenting their views. But I DO have a problem with my views and beliefs being put down as uneducated and ignorant. Also, I cannot understand why it keeps coming up that disagreeing with someone equals hatred. Way back on the gay marriage thread, one post after another stated that people who share my beliefs "hate" the gay community. I can wholeheartedly disagree with gay marriage and believe that it should never be legalized and still love the person.

That's all I have to say. It's way too late and I'm tired!

raynjen
05-16-2004, 01:29 AM
I am not saying that I feel hated because people don't support the war. However, I did not expect to encounter such vitriolic speech against PEOPLE who support Bush or the war.

I think it is very easy to say, "I support our military", but what do you actually DO that supports them? For example if I say, "I support the Girl Scouts" it probably means that I give the organization money, or I buy cookies from them, or I volunteer in some capacity. The Merriam-Webster online dictionary defines support in the following way:

1 : to endure bravely or quietly : BEAR
2 a (1) : to promote the interests or cause of (2) : to uphold or defend as valid or right : ADVOCATE (3) : to argue or vote for b (1) : ASSIST, HELP (2) : to act with (a star actor) (3) : to bid in bridge so as to show support for c : to provide with substantiation : CORROBORATE <support an alibi>
3 a : to pay the costs of : MAINTAIN b : to provide a basis for the existence or subsistence of <the island could probably support three -- A. B. C. Whipple>
4 a : to hold up or serve as a foundation or prop for b : to maintain (a price) at a desired level by purchases or loans; also : to maintain the price of by purchases or loans

I'm not asking people to support something that is an anathema to their way of life, I don't expect that at all. But please, don't say you are supporting my husband when all you are doing is talking.

Jen in Okinawa
Mom to Noelle (2 1/2)

himom
05-16-2004, 07:45 AM
I haven't had a chance to read the rest of the thread, so I'm probably repeating stuff:

I like Bush. I'm happy he's our President and I really hope he gets re-elected. I back his stance on abortion, as I truly believe the rampant use of abortion as a form of birth control in our country is one of the worst things that has ever happened to women.

I agree with him on stem cell research, somewhat on the economy, and completely on making sure crazy, power-hungry dictators aren't able to get access to nuclear weapons. Gay marriage...I'm not completely decided but I lean toward civil unions instead and I think the whole issue ought to be put to a vote.

I flat out disagree with him on a bunch of stuff too, but on the really important things I think he's dead-on correct.

He also seems to me like a person who will always do the right thing. I really feel that a person who has as much power as he does needs to be the kind of person that will consider the people and the country before his own personal benefits. In other words, do what needs to be done even if it costs you an election (which Iraq might).

I like him because he's seems human instead of some media generated image. I like it that he occasionally loses his temper, that he has kids that are normal, and that he has a wife that disagrees with him in public.

It's 1 am so I'm not that coherent and far from eloquent, but that's the gist of it...I'm voting Bush!

Jodi
Mom to Josh, February 2003

mamicka
05-16-2004, 01:50 PM
Very well said, Jen.

Allison (Mamicka to Lawrence 6/17/03)

cuca_
05-16-2004, 02:26 PM
Jen,

I am sorry that you feel this way. I am one of those people who said that I disagree with the war but support the military. I guess what I meant to say was that I am not anti-military, but disagree with the war being fought in Iraq. I think that is pretty much what people mean when they state that they support the military. And, in fact, according to the definitions you posted all tax payers support the military. Don't take this personally, this is just an exchange of ideas, and should really not be upsetting to anyone.

Anyhow I have taken too much space away from this thread.

Sorry!

Rachels
05-16-2004, 03:07 PM
>I completely agree.....
>
>And also(these are my words): If you(general you) think that
>the government of this country is so bad and that the American
>people are just as bad as the kind of radicals who murdered
>poor Nick Berg, then do us all a favor and get your collective
>asses out of the US and let those of us who actually
>appreciate the freedom we find here in the US alone to enjoy
>it.....

WHOOPS. This was just called to my attention. Speaking as a mod, this totally, completely inappropriate. I haven't seen anyone anywhere say or even slightly suggest that all American people are bad or that all or even any of our governmental leaders are the same as the radicals in question. But Elvisfan, even if they had, it wouldn't be okay to post that some of us should get our asses out of the country. Part of appreciating the freedom of the US is understanding the freedom and responsibility to sometimes question our leaders and our role in world affairs. The fact that some people are doing that in recent threads may be upsetting, but the ass comment is out of line. I absolutely will support your right to disagree as fervently as you wish with the positions that are being stated, but you need to do it without attacks.

elvisfan
05-16-2004, 08:30 PM
Oh please. I have lost count of how many times people with a conservative mindset-whether it's dealing with childbirth or electing government officials-get slammed and nothing is said.Now that a few whiny liberals get their feelings hurt because someone actually calls them on their behavior and all hell breaks loose? Come on....
>>I completely agree.....
>>
>>And also(these are my words): If you(general you) think
>that
>>the government of this country is so bad and that the
>American
>>people are just as bad as the kind of radicals who
>murdered
>>poor Nick Berg, then do us all a favor and get your
>collective
>>asses out of the US and let those of us who actually
>>appreciate the freedom we find here in the US alone to
>enjoy
>>it.....
>
>
>WHOOPS. This was just called to my attention. Speaking as a
>mod, this totally, completely inappropriate. I haven't seen
>anyone anywhere say or even slightly suggest that all American
>people are bad or that all or even any of our governmental
>leaders are the same as the radicals in question. But
>Elvisfan, even if they had, it wouldn't be okay to post that
>some of us should get our asses out of the country. Part of
>appreciating the freedom of the US is understanding the
>freedom and responsibility to sometimes question our leaders
>and our role in world affairs. The fact that some people are
>doing that in recent threads may be upsetting, but the ass
>comment is out of line. I absolutely will support your right
>to disagree as fervently as you wish with the positions that
>are being stated, but you need to do it without attacks.

parkersmama
05-16-2004, 08:53 PM
Are you serious? I thought your first comment was totally uncalled for but I didn't bother to say anything since I didn't want to stir the pot. But, really, this most recent one is just ridiculous. I don't remember seeing anyone attacked for their childbirth views or anything else like that. I think that even the most liberal (from a child-rearing standpoint) on this board are always courteous when stating their opinion.

It could certainly be argued that the conservatives in this thread have "whined" just as much as the liberals. It's a political debate. There's going to be disagreeing. That's what our great nation is all about! It's our differences and the debate over these differences that eventually makes us stronger. Just because someone has a different view than you do does NOT make them wrong. We all come here from different backgrounds with different experiences. Being a conservative (even if you feel like you're in the minority, which I'm not sure is born out based on this thread) does not mean that you have the right to attack others here or put nasty labels on people.

Rachel is just trying to keep things (mostly) civil and is not trying to censor your comments. Asking everyone to keep things on the civil side is certainly a move that I support! I was offended to be told to pack up my things and move out of a country that I have every right and desire to live in (assuming that since I am liberal I am included in your comments). You apparently live in a black and white world where there's no room for opinions and dissention. Maybe you've come to the wrong place if you're wanting to air your opinions without receiving any feedback. I'm sure there are places to go where everyone will agree with you and you'll never have to deal with a dissenting opinion.

elvisfan
05-16-2004, 09:32 PM
Considering that this is a thread where Bush supporters can share their opinions, well, yeah, there might be some whining regarding the blatant lack of common sense that some liberals might have...
And,imho, anyone with a liberal viewpoint regarding the government and its role in our society *is* wrong
>Are you serious? I thought your first comment was totally
>uncalled for but I didn't bother to say anything since I
>didn't want to stir the pot. But, really, this most recent
>one is just ridiculous. I don't remember seeing anyone
>attacked for their childbirth views or anything else like
>that. I think that even the most liberal (from a
>child-rearing standpoint) on this board are always courteous
>when stating their opinion.
>
>It could certainly be argued that the conservatives in this
>thread have "whined" just as much as the liberals. It's a
>political debate. There's going to be disagreeing. That's
>what our great nation is all about! It's our differences and
>the debate over these differences that eventually makes us
>stronger. Just because someone has a different view than you
>do does NOT make them wrong. We all come here from different
>backgrounds with different experiences. Being a conservative
>(even if you feel like you're in the minority, which I'm not
>sure is born out based on this thread) does not mean that you
>have the right to attack others here or put nasty labels on
>people.
>
>Rachel is just trying to keep things (mostly) civil and is
>not trying to censor your comments. Asking everyone to keep
>things on the civil side is certainly a move that I support!
>I was offended to be told to pack up my things and move out of
>a country that I have every right and desire to live in
>(assuming that since I am liberal I am included in your
>comments). You apparently live in a black and white world
>where there's no room for opinions and dissention. Maybe
>you've come to the wrong place if you're wanting to air your
>opinions without receiving any feedback. I'm sure there are
>places to go where everyone will agree with you and you'll
>never have to deal with a dissenting opinion.

elvisfan
05-16-2004, 09:37 PM
I live by this sentiment-America:Love it or leave it.If you(general you) are so pained to live under this so-called horrible government, then stop your whining, pack up,move out and wait until the liberals are back in office.

>Rachel is just trying to keep things (mostly) civil and is
>not trying to censor your comments. Asking everyone to keep
>things on the civil side is certainly a move that I support!
>I was offended to be told to pack up my things and move out of
>a country that I have every right and desire to live in
>(assuming that since I am liberal I am included in your
>comments). You apparently live in a black and white world
>where there's no room for opinions and dissention. Maybe
>you've come to the wrong place if you're wanting to air your
>opinions without receiving any feedback. I'm sure there are
>places to go where everyone will agree with you and you'll
>never have to deal with a dissenting opinion.

Calmegja2
05-16-2004, 09:46 PM
> I live by this sentiment-America:Love it or leave it.If
>you(general you) are so pained to live under this so-called
>horrible government, then stop your whining, pack up,move out
>and wait until the liberals are back in office.
>

Thankfully, most people take a different view than that, including the people who founded the United States. They built in a mechanism to allow dissent and the free exchange of ideas, as well as the ability to speak to that dissent freely (well, freely until Bush set up the First Amendment zones to control protests, but I digress).

I'm a liberal, you're a conservative. Thankfully, under our present system of government, we're allowed to co-exist in the same country. No need for me to leave when a conservative's in office, just as there's no need for you to leave when a liberal takes office.

If you truly live by that sentiment, does that mean that when Clinton was in office you wholeheartedly supported him, and never said a word against him or his actions? Or did you leave the country for the eight years of his term, and come back when Bush entered office?

We need political disourse on both sides. Neither side should run unchecked.

mamahill
05-16-2004, 09:56 PM
I've tried to stay out of the political threads, but I am blown away at this attitude. And, FWIW, I helped put Bush in office, and would be considered a right-sided moderate. But I really cannot tolerate this kind of view - the "love it or leave it" kind. I think you forget that the America our troops are defending is the TWO-party system. If people were to leave every time they disagreed, then we would not have the democracy we so cherish.

I love living in California, but our school system (for lack of a better word) sucks. Does that mean I pack up and move somewhere else? No - it means I stick around, and vote certain ways, and volunteer in the classroom and I do what I can to make it BETTER.

And while my political leanings may be in the minority around here (both on the board, and geographically), I am thankful for the diversity - for the chance to voice my opinion, and learn from others. That's what this whole country is about.

edited to add: I know there are more than two parties, lest anyone think I'm not. I was using "two-party" to make a point.

and, edited to add: I'm not sure if I'll help keep Bush in office. I would have preferred McCain to have won, but that's water under the bridge. I'm not sure how I feel about Kerry yet, so I actually enjoy reading the informative viewpoints.

elvisfan
05-16-2004, 10:11 PM
Well, considering that my dh happens to be one of the soldiers defending this country, I think I have a pretty good idea as to the kind of American ideals that are being defended...
It's one thing to disagree. It's another to be downright disrespectful.Take the father of Nick Berg.As badly as I feel for that poor young man, he was in a hostile country of his own free will. He was an independent contractor(read: he did not have proper security around him)And he was a Jew-living in a place where Jews aren't exactly welcome.Now,I'll be flamed for this, but let's get real-as nice as he was,he wasn't too bright. If he had wanted to help the Iraqis rebuild, why didn't he just join the military? Instead of owning up to the fact that he raised a child without a whole lot of common sense,Berg blames the situation on Bush.Uh, wrong. It's an attitude like that which makes me think,"Well, if the country/government is s awful,why stick around?"
>I've tried to stay out of the political threads, but I am
>blown away at this attitude. And, FWIW, I helped put Bush in
>office, and would be considered a right-sided moderate. But I
>really cannot tolerate this kind of view - the "love it or
>leave it" kind. I think you forget that the America our troops
>are defending is the TWO-party system. If people were to leave
>every time they disagreed, then we would not have the
>democracy we so cherish.
>
>I love living in California, but our school system (for lack
>of a better word) sucks. Does that mean I pack up and move
>somewhere else? No - it means I stick around, and vote certain
>ways, and volunteer in the classroom and I do what I can to
>make it BETTER.
>
>And while my political leanings may be in the minority around
>here (both on the board, and geographically), I am thankful
>for the diversity - for the chance to voice my opinion, and
>learn from others. That's what this whole country is about.
>
>edited to add: I know there are more than two parties, lest
>anyone think I'm not. I was using "two-party" to make a point.
>
>
>and, edited to add: I'm not sure if I'll help keep Bush in
>office. I would have preferred McCain to have won, but that's
>water under the bridge. I'm not sure how I feel about Kerry
>yet, so I actually enjoy reading the informative viewpoints.

ddmarsh
05-16-2004, 10:11 PM
Do you not see any irony in your approach? To attack those who might dare question as being anti-American is in fact anti-American. Get it? Those very principles that the troops are defending are those that you are attacking.

elvisfan
05-16-2004, 10:14 PM
I have nothing against those who question....but I do have something against people who say that the current administration is evil,corrupt and so on.
>Do you not see any irony in your approach? To attack those
>who might dare question as being anti-American is in fact
>anti-American. Get it? Those very principles that the troops
>are defending are those that you are attacking.
>
>
>
>

ddmarsh
05-16-2004, 10:15 PM
>Well, considering that my dh happens to be one of the soldiers defending this country, I think I have a pretty good idea as to the kind of American ideals that are being defended...
It's one thing to disagree. It's another to be downright disrespectful.Take the father of Nick Berg.As badly as I feel for that poor young man, he was in a hostile country of his own free will

Disrespectful? Apparantly calling anyone who might disagree with your views anti-American and telling them to pack their bags does not fall into that category in your book.

Yes he was there of his own free will and last I checked we operate with a fully voluntary military which means that your DH and all others are there by theirs as well.

elvisfan
05-16-2004, 10:22 PM
I was referring(sp?) to individuals who are disrespectful towards the current administration in action,word or deed.
I also don't understand why you are pointing out that our military is all volunteer.So what? I was trying to point out that unlike some of you who get to enjoy your husbands every night,I might have a little more understanding as to what the soldiers are fighting for....>>Well, considering that my dh happens to be one of the
>soldiers defending this country, I think I have a pretty good
>idea as to the kind of American ideals that are being
>defended...
>It's one thing to disagree. It's another to be downright
>disrespectful.Take the father of Nick Berg.As badly as I feel
>for that poor young man, he was in a hostile country of his
>own free will
>
>
>Disrespectful? Apparantly calling anyone who might disagree
>with your views anti-American and telling them to pack their
>bags does not fall into that category in your book.
>
>Yes he was there of his own free will and last I checked we
>operate with a fully voluntary military which means that your
>DH and all others are there by theirs as well.
>
>
>
>

Calmegja2
05-16-2004, 10:31 PM
I'm sorry, I didn't see your answer to my question. Were you completely supportive of Clinton when he was in office, and if you weren't, did you leave the country?

elvisfan
05-16-2004, 10:42 PM
I did not support his views but I did respect his position.I respected the fact that he was elected by the American people and showed him due respect by not slamming him in a public forum.Had I been that upset about his election,yes,I might have left....
>I'm sorry, I didn't see your answer to my question. Were you
>completely supportive of Clinton when he was in office, and if
>you weren't, did you leave the country?
>

Rachels
05-16-2004, 11:02 PM
Edited: I just reread all of this, and the bashing of board members here is way out of line. I am locking this thread pending a chance to talk it over with Beth. My apologies to everyone here who managed to keep things civil. I think a Bush support thread was fully warranted, and I'm sorry it needs to be locked. After Beth and I confer, we may choose to unlock it with some posts edited. But please know that it is being locked to prevent further direct attacks on the folks in this community, not because of its overall subject matter.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02