PDA

View Full Version : vacation ideas with 14-month-old?

marchmommy
05-14-2004, 12:13 PM
Hi everyone! My DH are trying to plan a vacation--we haven't gone on a vacation in years!!! We are both bad planners, so any tips/advice would be much appreciated. We live in Chicago--we don't want to take a very long flight, but other than that, are open to suggestion. Any of you taken a great vacation with an about 14-month-old? If it makes a difference, our DS is walking, and loves to toddle around and play. . .He would probably love the beach, but we would need other things to keep us all busy. Thanks!

emilyr
05-14-2004, 02:58 PM
Last August, we took DS (and ourselves) to San Diego, Coronado to be specific. It was a 3 1/2 hour flight from Nashville (nonstop) which really wasn't bad. We were able to take him to Sea World, the beach, a concert in the park (most of the residents brought dinner and had a picnic), a Padres game. We even drove Northwest of SD and took him to a wine vineyard!

We love San Diego/Coronado and could have done much, much more (think Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Old Towne, etc.) The Hotel del Coronado also has things for children but we decided not to stay there this time so don't know specifics. Lowes Hotel does too but we stayed there pre-baby. (The last two times we've been to SD, I was pregnant so I couldn't fully enjoy the seafood or the wineries!)

One tip, anywhere you go, don't overplan your days. Remember, there are naps to take and everything takes longer with a toddler.

HTH

Emily

marchmommy
05-16-2004, 01:58 AM
any other suggestions out there? any cities that are toddler compatible? (New Orleans???--anyone been to with a toddler?) any particular part of Florida besides Disney World which I don't think he's ready for?

Lucia
05-16-2004, 08:29 AM
New Orleans would be pretty hot and humid, but there are some fun things to do....a nice zoo, aquarium, children's museum, riding the streetcars, walking in the french quarter, taking a cruise on the river. The best times to visit the city are in the fall and the spring when the weather is more comfortable. We are headed there in June to visit my family.

I was going to suggest the gulf coast....either Gulf Shores, Alabama or the Destin, Fla area (our family loves Navarre Beach). There was a pretty good discussion about vacationing on the gulf coast a few weeks ago...trying doing a search for it.

One other place to consider would be the Northwest....Seattle, Portland, or British Columbia. This is a beautiful part of the world with a huge range of activities from urban to national park settings. July, August, and September are great times to visit the Northwest. You could use Seattle as a hub and make some great side trips to the Olympic mountains, beautiful Victoria or Vancouver, or spend some time relaxing in the San Juan islands. It just depends on what you are looking for.

Lucia
mom to Noah 2/2003

heytootsy
05-16-2004, 10:33 AM
Well, we are going to Hilton Head SC this week, so I can let you know how that is. I have heard it is a great place for family vacations. We also have a 14 month old March baby!

miki
05-16-2004, 11:04 AM
I suggested Sanibel Island in FL to my SIL and they are there right now with their 4 yr old and 14 month old boys. It's beachy there and the thing they are known for is their seashells.

Edited to add: my other SIL who is also there just called and said it was great. Not a lot of people crowding the beach. Tons of pretty shells to find when beachcombing. The place where they are staying provides little buckets and other stuff for you to wander the beach with. She says it's all very cute. They are going to try and teach the 4 yr old to swim in the pool later.