PDA

View Full Version : Entertaining a Six Month Old

Raidra
05-15-2004, 08:08 AM
I searched through the archives and couldn't find anything on this, so I hope nobody's posted about it recently.

Colwyn and I have a lot of fun, but I have this nagging worry that I'm not stimulating him enough with age-appropriate games. He plays with a lot of toys (FP Activity Table, Jumperoo, Exersaucer, FP Piano, and multitudes of small ones that he likes to hold and eat), we play peekaboo - which he is just starting to do on his own, hide the toy under a blanket, patty cake - just me doing the motions while he holds onto my hands.. and that's about it. Most of what I do with him is encouraging him towards physical development, although I do talk to him a lot, trying to get him to babble. I guess I just feel that most of the time that he's playing, it's more like me just watching him play with toys. I mean, how can I play with Celeste the Sun? When he plays with his blocks, I do stack those for him, and when he plays at his table, I push some of the buttons and whatnot too.. but that's about it.

So, my question is.. what other games do you play with your 6-7 month old?

Thanks!

Momof3Labs
05-15-2004, 08:16 AM
I would definitely encourage him to play alone sometimes and not feel like you have to entertain him all the time - you will come to appreciate having a child who can entertain himself for a few minutes to half an hour or longer. I personally just followed Colin's lead, and we did fine (though admittedly he was cruising and crawling by 6.5 months, which opened up a whole new world). Even at 6 months, we read lots of books (though he wouldn't necessarily sit still for them, but I read anyways). You can expose him to music, too, and dance with him. Walks outside are fun and stimulating.