PDA

View Full Version : Go SMARTY JONES Go - any horse racing lovers??

toomanystrollers
05-15-2004, 10:33 PM
Old habits die hard - especially horses :) I missed the Preakness today, but sure enough Smarty Jones is on his way to the Triple Crown. And this horse and those around him are living a modern day version of "Seabiscuit" I mean he almost died last year with a nasty blow to his skull.

Check out:
http://www.courier-journal.com/cjsports/news2004/04/28/E1-smart0428-13814.html

sbjf
05-15-2004, 10:37 PM
I saw him beautifully win the Kentucky Derby (on tv) and I cannot believe I missed the Preakness today!! This is the first I've heard that he won, what excitement!!!

I hope the old gentleman (owner? owner's dad?) who needed to put on his oxygen mask when SJ won the Derby made it though this win ok!!!

YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mharling
05-16-2004, 12:31 AM
We are fans, but not diehards. We have been to the Derby and enjoy watching the races on TV. The thought of another Triple Crown winner is very exciting!!

Thanks for posting that story! It was a great read and I sent it to dh.

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
[link:www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b370a2992536|Birthday Pics!!]

lisaE
05-16-2004, 09:12 AM
DH lives and breathes horse racing. It was just amazing how Smarty Jones won that race. That horse is from outer space!

DH has been involved in racing since he was a boy and he said that SJ's race was the best race he's ever seen a horse run. I was pretty impressed by that!

Kieransmom
05-16-2004, 12:42 PM
Go Smarty Jones! As a girl who was born and raised in the New Jersey suburbs of Philadelphia I'm rooting for out boy!

Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

amp
05-16-2004, 12:49 PM
My first love was horses! So of course i can relate! I missed the race, but read about Smarty in the paper this am. What a horse! And the underdog to boot! We all love an underdog! The paper said he wond by more lengths (anwhere from about 12-7 lengths more than the last 3 horses (Seattle Slew, Affirmed and Secretariat!) to win the Triple Crown! So it looks like he has a great chance! Go Smarty Go!

mattiew
05-16-2004, 02:25 PM
It was a fun race to watch - saw it in the Las Vegas airport on my way back to Louisville!!! The Triple Crown buzz is sooo exciting!!! I must confess though, I'm a little disappointed he isn't Kentucky bred : )

Carrie

Tondi G
05-16-2004, 07:42 PM
What a horse!!!! I can't wait for the Belmont Stakes!!!! We are so due for a triple crown winner.... come on Smarty Jones!!!!

The nice thing is he is also a nice looking horse... he'll make some pretty babies when he retires from racing!!!!

~Tondi