PDA

View Full Version : side curtain airbags- would you get them???

ncmommy
05-16-2004, 12:59 AM
I saw a post about this from about a year ago...just wondering if there are nay new developments out there on the topic. We bought a Sienna today...w/o the side airbag option, but after obsessing over it I'm wishing we had added that on....there is still time as we have not picked it up yet. But now I'm wondering how safe they are for kids in the back seat. Help!

tina-t
05-16-2004, 01:11 AM
There's the side airbag and the side curtain airbags. The side airbags just protect your body and not your head, while the side curtain airbags drop down from the top of the window and protects your head. Somebody correct me if I am wrong.

The side airbags are supposed to be not good for infants and kids bec. these have been shown to produce injury. I'm not sure about the side curtain airbags. The volvo cars have the side curtain airbags and they say that it is not harmful to kids and infants. I'm not sure where I could verify this though.

ncmommy
05-16-2004, 09:09 AM
In the Sienna, the curtain airbags are the only ones in the back seats. The front passenger and driver get both the seat mounted airbags and the side curtain airbags. It's not a cheap option, bot totally seem worth it for the front passengers...just wondering if the side curtain airbags are really ok for little ones.

ShayleighCarsensMom
05-16-2004, 11:00 AM
Consumer reports just did a crash test rating on side curtain airbags...their tests concluded that those cars in a side impact crash with a SUV going fast produced deadly results without the airbags, and scrapes and bruises with....I'd take a bruise any day!
I think you can see the results on their website
www.consumerreports.com

ismommy
05-18-2004, 07:37 AM
We got the sienna with the side curtain airbags. My understanding is they drop down in front of the window - do not come out like regular airbags. It is to prevent glass coming in and other safety issues. The only way a child could be injured is if they had their head on the window or out of the window. That is my understanding. This was on eof the reasons we went with the sienna. I was t-boned in January and wanted every safety feature available. That being said I am sure the sienna is still safe without the side curtian airbags. BTW I love my sienna beyond belief even though I was unsure of the whole minivan thing. Congrats on the new purchase.
Helene
mommy to Isabella