PDA

View Full Version : Baby Leash

friedmana1
05-16-2004, 01:25 AM
Just wondering what all of you think of these things...Frankly, they make me a bit queasy, but we are going to a museum tomorrow where they do not allow strollers. Leah is way too heavy to carry the whole time, and frankly loves the independence of walking. And where would I even get such a thing in short notice? Does BRU or Buy Buy Baby have them?

Thanks!

Aimee
Mother to Leah 10/26/02

luvbeinmama
05-16-2004, 01:40 AM
My pre-baby opinion was: OMG, How could anyone possibly put their kid on a leash like a DOG?!?!?!?!

My post-2nd baby opinion is: OMG, These things are GREAT!!!

I haven't used it much, just once or twice. The most memorable being the trial run at Disneyland with my almost 18 mo old daughter. She weighs about 25-26 lbs and will not be held through a line. She wants to be down walking or will take the stroller ride from place to place. Let me tell you, it was a LIFESAVER! And it actually allowed her MORE FREEDOM than would have been otherwise possible. It allowed us to go through lines and put her down to walk without her scooting between people and getting away from us. It allowed us to keep her with us without holding her in our arms or by the hand. Once she figured out that she wasn't able to go too far from us, she was fine with it and would give me a look like I was the one on a leash! LOL! Your daughter is 11 days younger than mine, and let me tell you, you will be glad to have it!!! You can get one at BRU &/or TRU. That's where I got mine. No stroller with a 18 mo toddler in a museum will be a nightmare if you don't have it, IMO. I was so much more relaxed at Disneyland with it and so was DD. My DS is 4 and, of course, didn't need one, but at DD's age it is a true asset in certain places/situations.

HTH!

toomanystrollers
05-16-2004, 07:21 AM
I wish I knew who originally posted this: "better on a leash, than on a milk carton" :)

You should be able to find one at BRU, Walmart or Target.

HTH

Saartje
05-16-2004, 09:18 AM
They're wonderful.

I say this, and my baby's (still) not even born yet, much less mobile! But my mother used one with one of my brothers, and a different brother used one with his son, so I do have some experience with them.

Advantages: You don't have to carry a heavy toddler constantly. The toddler gets to walk as much as she wants, and explore within a predefined limit. You don't have to worry about your toddler wandering off. You don't have to make your toddler hold your hand, which is a relief for both of you: I hate to see toddlers walking with their parents, with their arm and shoulder stretched up and body bent to the side to meet their parent's hand all day long. *That* looks uncomfortable to me (and probably is, judging from how often most toddlers I've known try to escape the handholding).

Disadvantages: People who don't understand the advantages may look at you funny. (There's a family story about my brother, at age two, barking at a woman who saw him on his harness leash and sniffed in horror, "Just like he was a dog!") As far as I can see, that's it.

Good luck, and I hope Leah likes her leash as much as my brother and nephew liked theirs. :)

tinkerbell1217
05-16-2004, 09:59 AM
They are great IMO. My mentally diasbaled son used to be a "runner" if he wasn't in his stroller and out of desperation I bought one when he was around 3 for times I didn't have the stroller with me for whatever reason. I did get alot of dirty looks from onlookers at the mall a few times and it did make me uneasy, but I would much rather get looks from that than to deal with a missing child or a hurt child. I only used it a few times until he stopped trying to run away from us. At least I still have him! BRU should have them, as should Target or Wal Mart. Lots of luck!

Kelly

AngelaS
05-16-2004, 03:58 PM
I have never used one and don't really ever plan to but I think there are some situations where they may be appropriate. The two year old I saw one wearing one in church a few weeks ago just seemed odd to me...

redhookmom
05-16-2004, 09:35 PM
What do "leashes" look like these days? There is a photo of one of us kids in my Mom's photo albums wearing this stroller harness looking thing. Whereas I saw woman using one recently that looked rather pleasant. Mom and DD each had a velcro bracelet on connected by an elastic cord, like the cords on old telephones.

luvbeinmama
05-17-2004, 02:10 AM
Here is DD at Disneyland with her leash on, it is a harness-type:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6218.jpg

Here is a side-view. You can see the leash coming off the back:

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6219.jpg

I like this better than the wrist-to-wrist ones as you really have a better hold on them if they decide to run and/or really pull on the leash. I'd be afraid of damaging the arm or shoulder with the wrist ones.

pamela mom of 3
05-17-2004, 10:06 AM
Before i had kids i thought they were a terrible idea, but after having 3 kids two being "runners" i totally understand the concept.

They also have many types out nowadays to choose from...

GL :)

~Pamela Mom Of 3

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/blobflower.gif

friedmana1
05-17-2004, 11:38 AM
Thanks so much everyone!!! I didn't have time to run to the store before going to the museum yesterday, so we had to let DD run around. It actually wasn't *too* bad, as she doesn't like to stray too far from me. LOL! But, it would have been so much easier with one of those "leashes." Off to BRU I go!

Aimee
Mother to Leah 10/26/02

redhookmom
05-17-2004, 12:55 PM
Thanks for sharing the photos. I agree that the wrist thing would only work with an older child.

C99
05-17-2004, 01:17 PM
I used to think these things were cruel. How could parents not "control" their children? Then, when I was about 5-months pregnant, I spent some time with my best friend's toddler and I had a sudden, drastic, change of heart. But after the novelty wore off, my friend's toddler wouldn't wear it (it was one of those chest harness kinds) so she just spent A LOT of time not going anywhere with the kids until her daughter outgrew the phase.

You can get them at BRU or Wal-Mart or Target.