PDA

View Full Version : Q about relocating for business

jamsmu
05-17-2004, 12:38 PM
Eventually, my DH will probably be offered a position with a new company out of state. Is it reasonable for him to request for the company to fly all of us there to visit the area and learn about it before he accepts the offer?

alkagift
05-17-2004, 02:13 PM
With my old HR Director hat on, I think it's possible, but I wouldn't hinge his acceptance on that condition. Many employers expect the new employee to be able to assess his or her family's tolerance of the new area, and have discussed it prior to the offer being extended. It is now expected that since the internet has loads of info on locations, the family would do research on the area and the employer supposes that the candidate wouldn't even be interviewing if the family didn't agree. Once the offer is out and he's accepted it, I would ask to be flown out for househunting/introduction of the area in person.

I know that's an icky "it depends" answer but most companies don't have the budget for those kind of preliminary tours, but they do have a budget for relocation (if the company's big enough) which would accommodate househunting.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

Momof3Labs
05-17-2004, 03:42 PM
I'd say that it also depends on how senior he is. If he's going for a middle management type position, then it is less likely that they will agree to it. However, if he is going for a senior level position with a senior level salary to go with it, I would say that it is definitely worth asking.

(Even then, they may be willing to fly him and you there, but not your entire family.)