PDA

View Full Version : Can't live without baby gear

juliajaj
05-17-2004, 03:55 PM
Baby #2 is due in a little over 6 weeks. We have just about everything thing we need for the baby's arrival, but I thought I'd check to see what you couldn't live without when your baby was born. As for me, the #1 thing that helped out the most when DD was an infant was the vibrating bouncy chair.

Thanks.

Julie

August Mom
05-17-2004, 05:17 PM
The vibrating bouncer was key for us too. We needed lots of burp clothes and flannel receiving blankets, a manual breast pump to release some pressure, a Baby Bjorn (for when DS reached 8 pounds), white noise capabilities and a nursing pillow (we wound up loving the Boppy).

tinkerbell1217
05-17-2004, 05:21 PM
1. Cloth diapers to use as burp cloths.
2. Pacifiers, in case baby likes them, maybe 3.
3. Bouncy chair or swing that reclines. Both my kids LOVED their swings.
4. Baby Bjorn, definitely! Or some kind of carrier.
5. ROOMY daiper bag with room enough for at least 4-5 diapers, 2 changes of clothing, and all kinds of other things!
6. Lots of receiving blankets for swaddling!

Kelly :)

bluej
05-17-2004, 05:30 PM
I agree with the vibrating bouncy chair, or swing if your baby needs more motion.
The one thing that I found got the most use in those early months was my KKAFP though. She hadn't come out with her cotton one at that time, but we spent a good portion of the summer indoors with A/C, so the fleece was actually nice.

wagner36
05-17-2004, 06:47 PM
The Ultimate Baby Sheet. God, I love those! DS is especially prone to blow-outs!

caleymama
05-17-2004, 06:57 PM
lots of burp cloths - we used cloth diapers from Target

Robeez - it took me 6 months to get around to getting DD a pair of these and I instantly wished I hadn't waited so long. I hated how baby socks wouldn't stay on and LOVE Robeez.

a sling - we just had a basic NOJO one, but it was fantastic during the first few months

That's all I can think of for now. Best wishes for a great delivery!

californiagirl
05-17-2004, 06:59 PM
A minority opinion, but we couldn't live without our Amby baby hammock.
Also

an infinite number of burp cloths
the Maya sling

redhookmom
05-17-2004, 09:00 PM
Film, don't forget the film. It all goes by soooooooo fast.

Marisa6826
05-17-2004, 09:09 PM
I think the bouncy seat without a doubt. And as silly as it sounds, the FP Crib Aquarium.

Sophie has become so attached to her "fish music" that when the movers inadvertantly packed it, we had to make a pitstop for a second one to take with to our temporary housing!

I really appreciated my Medela Nursing Stool. It made a big difference trying to hold a newborn while recovering from a c/s.

Also GOOD bibs. Not those crappy seven for $5 ones. I found amazing ones at BRU, one side thick (towel quality) terry and the other side chenille. We have about 20 of them.

-m

egoldber
05-17-2004, 09:11 PM
digital camera :)

jbowman
05-17-2004, 09:35 PM
yes, digital camera! To that I'd add boppy pillow, bouncy seat, burp cloths, receiving blankets for swaddling, breast pads (if nursing), and most important of all, a sense of humor!!!

Congratulations!

kthomp
05-17-2004, 11:17 PM
Pretty much to agree with everyone else, we loved our Boppy, swing, and we used tons of burp clothes and bibs.

Ally loved the Fisher Price aquarium. I would also recomend the Aqaurium bouncy seat, which plays very similar music and has nice little fishies in the activity bar. I found Ally was very soothed being in there as a newborn. I was debating between the aquarium and the kick and play (both by Fisher price) and I'm very glad I picked the aquarium!

Another thing I found to be great in those first few months when throw up is common- sheet savers. They are quited cloths with vinal backing that tie onto the crib bars. They go under baby's head, so when they spit up it doesn't ruin the sheets! We got them at Babies R Us, I think they were from their in house Especially for babies line.

candybomiller
05-18-2004, 01:17 AM
We would have been absolutely lost without the bouncy/vibrating chair for the first 4 months of Matt's life. He even slept in it when we travelled.

Now my most essential piece of baby gear would be my minivan. I love this thing to death. I love the fact that I can fold the seats down (stow and go seating kicks @$$) and change Matt's diaper where I know it's clean. This would be my top pick for necessary toddler equipment. :)

stillplayswithbarbies
05-18-2004, 11:31 AM
the swing was the thing we couldn't live without. It was the only way I could put her down to do anything, she wanted to be held all the time.

Which brings me to the second most useful thing and that is a sling. Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch. It was the only way I could hold her all day without my arms falling off.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03