PDA

View Full Version : Need new salad dressings- What's your favorite?

llcoddington
05-17-2004, 07:02 PM
This has nothing to do with politics or religion. :)

I have just discovered Briannas Blush Wine Vinaigrette- yummy! I bought something from Annies Naturals and it tasted like celery- the only food I don't like. So, with summer upon us, and time for lots of salads, what are your favorite dressings?

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

Marisa6826
05-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Newman's Own has great dressings. My two faves are Ranch and his Balsamic Vinaigrette.

I like that proceeds are donated to charity, as well.

-m

caleymama
05-17-2004, 07:16 PM
We've been making this one a lot lately. I LOVE it. It's from epicurious.com but I can't find it to give you the original link. We usually double it and keep it in a cruet in the fridge.

2 tsp. sherry vinegar (we use balsamic vinegar)
1/4 tsp. sea salt
freshly ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. dijon mustard (we like a little more)
1 small clove garlic, peeled, green germ removed, minced (we use the minced, jarred kind)
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil

Mix everything but oil in a bowl with a whisk until blended. Slowly add the olive oil, whisking constantly until the dressing is emulsified.

Another one that we like is the Kraft Light Done Right Three Cheese Ranch dressing.

pritchettzoo
05-17-2004, 07:28 PM
Another vote for Newman's Own. I haven't tried the ranch, but the Light Balsamic Vinaigrette, the Light Italian con Limone, and Caesar are delicious! They're the best bottled dressings IMO.

And the charity part is nice too. :)

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

cuca_
05-17-2004, 07:39 PM
Another vote for Newman's Own. I love the light Ceasar.

Carmen

egoldber
05-17-2004, 08:47 PM
I love all the Newman's Own dressings. I am especially fond of the Lite Italian, since it is healthy and also very tasty.

But my new all-time favs are Drews Salad dressings. I LOVE LOVE the Lemon Tahini Goddess. To die for!!!! And for South Beach Diet folks, they usually have 0 sugars. :)

http://www.chefdrew.com/product_descriptions.htm

In addition to Whole Foods, I have found the Drews dressings at some regular grocery stores too.

HTH,

Marisa6826
05-17-2004, 08:50 PM
We have the Drew's sun dried tomato one, but haven't opened it yet...I like that the Drews stuff is also a marinade (but then I guess all salad dressings are).

Hmmm. Will have to try.

-m

MartiesMom2B
05-17-2004, 08:59 PM
This is an Oriental Salad. I think Salad Express makes the oriental salad bag - but all that's in it is maybe chopped chinese cabbage and snowpeas, and those crunchy noodles. We add grilled chicken to this. Yum yum yum! I use one package of the oriental mix and 1 package of the spring lettuce mix.

1 package of oriental salad mix (or whatever lettuce you prefer - I like all different kinds)
green onion sliced
cilantro - chopped
sweetened toasted pecans (you can buy them pre sweetened or toast them yourself)
1 packet of good seasons italian salad dressing mix (you also need the shaker that comes with it)

For the dressing, substitute balsamic vinegar for the regular vinegar but follow the directions on the dressing packet. Also, add sugar to the dressing to taste - ususally a few tablespoons. Shake well and pour poer salad mixture.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

caleymama
05-17-2004, 09:08 PM
We've tried the Romano Ceaser Drew's and it was very good - found it at our local grocery store. Forgot about that one.

jojo2324
05-17-2004, 09:11 PM
I love Newman's Own Parmesean Italian? I think that's it. So good, and chock full o' calories and fat and everything! :9

My mom just picked up a huge vat of dressing at Costco. I can't remember the name, but it was a tahini dressing and YUMMY! So good. If any of you have been to Dojo's in Manhattan, exactly like the dressing there.

jec2
05-17-2004, 09:20 PM
Don't mean to scream about it, but wow, I just went to the fridge to find out what ours is and sing its praises. It's the Blush wine vinaigrette!

sbjf
05-17-2004, 09:40 PM
I love Cardini's Caesar dressing, found in the produce section.

wagner36
05-17-2004, 09:42 PM
Oooh, Brianna's also makes an excellent asiago caesar. It is a little lighter and less creamy than most - delicious!!

jd11365
05-17-2004, 09:54 PM
Without at doubt Annie's Goddess Dressing!!! I get it at the health food store, but some larger chains have it. It's so good sometimes I take a taste without any salad! :o

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

Karenn
05-17-2004, 10:29 PM
I love any of Brianna's Dressings, but the Poppy Seed is my favorite! Another favorite is Bernstein's Restaurant Recipe Italian. It's just a basic Italian, but it always tastes better to me than any others I've tried.

llcoddington
05-18-2004, 09:58 AM
I LOVE salad, so this post made me SO hungry! Thanks for all of your suggestions. I think they all sound wonderful. I'll have to make a trip to Whole Foods to see if I can find them.

I also have Briannas Poppy Seed in my fridge and it is so good on fruit!

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

houseof3boys
05-18-2004, 02:17 PM
Great post! I can't wait to try some of the suggestions since I always make my own at the last minute and sometimes forgo the salad because I don't like jarred dressings!

MartiesMom2B
05-18-2004, 02:21 PM
Briannas is a brand? For some reason I thought you were talking about Brianna from the boards, Audrey's mom. Hello McFly!

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

chrissyhowie
05-18-2004, 05:02 PM
The secret to yummy salad dressing in our house is....MAPLE SYRUP!

I know it sounds weird but toss a big bowl of salad with a tablespoon or two of maple syrup and Italian dressing (my favorite is Good Seasons). Whenever I serve this someone always asks me how to make the dressing. So yummy and easy :9!

MelissaTC
05-18-2004, 05:18 PM
My fave is the Newman's Parmesan and Garlic as well. YUM! Harris Teeter has it 2 for $5 this week so I stocked up. :) I also adore the Creamy Italian...YUMMY!

cmyk
05-18-2004, 05:27 PM
I LOVE Charlie Trotter's Kalamata Olive-Caper Vinaigrette. Soooo yummy and my hands down fave! My husband made this up one evening for dinner: angel hair pasta, chopped grape tomatoes, parmasean shavings and this vinaigrette...yum! I have not tried it as a marinade, but the Trotter website says to use it on roasts and fish. This is probably the closest I will come to having a Charlie Trotter "meal"! :)

http://www.charlietrotters.com/store/food/product.asp?catID=4&productID=73

Shelley

miki
05-18-2004, 07:43 PM
My favorite is the gingery vinaigrette you sometimes get at Japanese restaurants. At some point I found a recipe on the internet and messed with it until I liked it. You put in a blender: stalk of celery, half a small onion, an inch or two of fresh ginger root, rice wine vinegar, canola oil, soy sauce, spoonful of tomato paste, juice of a lemon, and salt and pepper to taste. A betch keeps in the fridge for a really long time.

alkagift
05-18-2004, 10:22 PM
I have seriously only regularly eaten one salad dressing that I didn't make myself in the last almost 7 years...Cafe Geneva, made by the Marjon spice people. They sell it in the produce section of my supermarket and it tastes a bit like a creamy vinaigrette with a bit of dijon in it. 4g of fat to 1 tbsp of dressing, 0 carbs. and I know what everything on the ingredient list is!

I have tried others, but I end up giving them to my husband.

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

jd11365
05-18-2004, 10:43 PM
Chrissy,
Sounds delish! Love Chloe's new avatar and congrats on #2...I didn't know! How didn't I know??? And coming so soon...can't wait for the announcement!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

tippy
05-20-2004, 03:18 AM
I usually make my own with rasberry vinigar, olive oil, pepper or wine vingar and balsamic mixed, basil and oregano and black pepper and olive oil with a pinch of sugar (particularly good on tomatoe and onion salad).

If I am in a rush I love Kens Creamy Ceasar. (Has a nice anchovy taste!)