PDA

View Full Version : Decorating basics

suribear
05-18-2004, 03:50 AM
Can anyone recommend a good book that can tell me about decorating basics? (choosing paint colors, room layout and ideas) I'm going for a Contemporary/Southwestern look.

I'm a complete idiot when it comes to this, so it has to be easy to understand :)

Kris

suribear
05-18-2004, 10:47 AM
bump

votre_ami03
05-18-2004, 11:06 AM
I really enjoy the Better Homes & Gardens book, but my style is more country/cottagey. Some of the books in my collection are, BHG's "New Decorating Book", Christopher Lowell's "7 Layers..." & BHG's Cottage book. You might look at Sunset magazine, a great mag for SW style living! In my area, Phoenix magazine is also great, maybe there is a resource in your local area?

Any particular questions? I am a wannabe designer. :)

Christy, mommy to Nolan 7/22/03

stillplayswithbarbies
05-18-2004, 12:00 PM
ooooh I have a question!

I want to redo my bedroom. I want something calm and relaxing and something that will make it feel like a safe haven in all the chaos. We did have a grey/black leopard thing going on in there and it's just too harsh. I took out the huge grey metal poster bedframe and now have just a waterbed with the drawers under it. (that really made a difference in the feel of the room) My dressers are sort of dark. The room is small, there is barely room to walk between the dressers and the king size bed. There is an attached bathroom with neutral colors.

What colors or schemes do you suggest? I'm thinking something with flowers, and DH is open to that.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

suribear
05-18-2004, 12:38 PM
I have one for you! Our playroom is at the front of our house. It's the first thing you see, and no, I'm not changing the location until the kids are older LOL It works out really well for us. But I do wish it wasn't the first impression!

It's a really big room with vaulted ceilings. Any ideas for the theme? The rest of the house is contemporary. I have a boy and a girl.

Kris

votre_ami03
05-18-2004, 01:41 PM
Karen, Green works well for bedrooms, something like a sage. Soothing. You could do some repro/vintage botanical prints for the floral touch. I love these! White painted furn & accessories would look great w/that. Or botanicals in a gilded frame. Add a matelesse coverlet to the bed, soft & feminine.

To be honest, my fav is an all white bedroom, all white bedding, so serene. Although probably not going to happen w/small children. :)

How attached are you to your furniture? You can paint it, that is if you are open to it. Otherwise, work w/what you have. You could build a British Colonial theme off of the dark furniture.

I am about to transform my BR to a Parisian theme. I am strongly considering painting my BR furniture black, pic frames, etc. I currently have an old door, hardware & all as my headboard & this has started the wheels turning. :)

votre_ami03
05-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Do you have any pic's of the space?

What about an "Art gallery". There was a great idea in the Mary Engelbreit (sp?) mag a few years ago. They took open frames (no back, no glass) & mounted them to the wall. Inside were the kids artwork! It was awesome looking. Another neat way to focus on art would be one of those metal clothes line type things w/little clips for the kids to hang their pic's on. Are you up to any painting? Maybe blocks of color on the wall? The space isn't moving & it is what it is, a kid's palyroom. No since it disguising it!

I will look/think of some more. :)

suribear
05-19-2004, 12:31 PM
I don't have pictures, though maybe I can dig some up. We are going to paint so this is the time to make changes :) I want a solid color for the walls, though, as we're not the DIY types.

I will try to get pics soon. Thanks!!

Kris

ddmarsh
05-19-2004, 01:35 PM
PBK has a really cute version of those clips to hold art. I think they come in red and blue.

I have a couple of accessorizing questions since you are willing :). I am having a great deal of trouble accessorizing both a table in my entryway and my mantle. I don't know if the pic of the mantle gives a good indication of its scale, but that is what is giving me such trouble. The part running up the wall is so high that I feel like it dwarfs anything (see my pathetic attempt!) that I try to put on the mantle.

ppshah
05-19-2004, 11:25 PM
Calvien Klein has some great bedding with Asian influence. It's floral but not too "girly"

http://www.macys.com/catalog/index.ognc?CategoryID=7514&LinkType=DepthPath

You could probably pick your wall color from the bedding you choose.

We love Benjamin Moore historical colors

votre_ami03
05-20-2004, 11:24 AM
Debbie, Mantels are so hard! That is a constant question. You have a beautiful fireplace, wow! The high ceilings can be hard to work with & the other thing is the panelling & trim. It is beautiful, but you can't really hang a painting or mirror in front of it. I usually try to mix mediums. Like, a little metal, glass & something natural for a balance. I think you need to add some height there. Maybe a nice vase? What about topiaries, one on either side? You could try leaning artwork against the wall there too. I have had so many different manetel scapes it's not even funny. I will keep thinking.

You have a good start on the chest w/the lamp. I would maybe go w/assorted pic frames in silver, different sizes & heights. You want to do stuff in odd #'s. I think a nice assortment of family pic's would be great there.