PDA

View Full Version : Did anyone watch Colonial House last night?

billysmommy
05-18-2004, 01:12 PM
I loved frontier house when it was on and this one looks pretty good too. I couldn't imagine living like that and not showering or bathing often. I felt awful when the Wyers left because of Bethany's fiance being killed and their son injured in the car accident.
Although the lay preacher is driving me crazy :) I can't wait to see what happens tonight :)

kfcboston
05-18-2004, 01:16 PM
Lori -

I missed Frontier House and was really bummed, so I'm psyched about Colonial House. BUT I won't be able to watch next week!! Grrrr. I saw most of last night - pretty cool. It's amazing how much the participants are NOT made to experience from those days and it's STILL horrific! I think it's a great premise.

stillplayswithbarbies
05-18-2004, 01:16 PM
I thought it was funny when the women were eavesdropping on the men's meeting.

And what was all that about the women each getting a day off every 4th day and then the one didn't want to do it because it might rain on her day off. How silly.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

emilyf
05-18-2004, 01:58 PM
I didn't see it, but I watched Oprah yesterday and she went to visit them. It was pretty cool to watch her (and Gail) getting into the spirit of it. That's what I love about Oprah-she's got such a fun attitude! It did make me want to watch the show on PBS too, we caught Frontier house occasionally and enjoyed it.
Emily \r\nmom of Charlie born 11/02

MartiesMom2B
05-18-2004, 02:16 PM
I'm glad you posted about this. I watched it last night too. I didn't see Frontier House but I did see Manor House. Colonial House is actually making me happy that we gave up expanded cable b/c it made me remember that it was on.

DH thinks I'm crazy to watch it. He said "There is a reason why we live now, so we don't have to go through all of this."

I think it's fascinating. I was kind of dissapointed that they didn't interact with the Native Americans more. Maybe they did, but it was edited out. So I guess more Colonials are coming in tonight. I felt sorry for the Governer's family too.

Sonia
Proud Mommy to Martie 4/6/03

christic
05-18-2004, 02:29 PM
Yes, I'm a PBS reality show addict.

Watched 1900 House, APPLIED to Frontier House (pre-baby of course, was hoping to conceive on the frontier :)), watched Manor House (my personal favorite), and now will watch as much Colonial House as they'll give me.

I've seen bits of some kind of Iron Age House that was on BBC I think. Looked pretty raw, I think they all got dysentery. And supposedly there was a 1940s House about life during the London Blitz but I don't think it ever aired here.

Chris

egoldber
05-18-2004, 02:47 PM
ARGH! I have it taped, watched the first half, but haven't watched it all yet. I knew I shouldn't have clicked on thsi thread. :)

I loved Frontier House, but I missed Manor House. I guess I'll have to pick that up on a re-airing.

stillplayswithbarbies
05-18-2004, 03:05 PM
LOL Beth, you Tivo (or Tivo-like device) owners should know to read at your own risk!

I'm trying to decide whether to tape this or American Idol tonight. Probably Idol since I haven't watched last week's tape yet.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

MommytoDylan
05-18-2004, 04:15 PM
I loved it too! I was in tears when the fiance died as Bethany seemed like such a sweet girl. I was watching with a friend but my husband cannot understand the appeal. He watched for about 20 minutes and then went upstairs. I can get sucked into anything, however. I'm interested to see what happens with Bethany and also why some people leave--on Oprah they told her all the people of color had already left for personal reasons.

meredith

Marisa6826
05-18-2004, 04:47 PM
Crap! l forgot it was on. Think they will re-air it??

-m

mamahill
05-18-2004, 05:09 PM
I LOVED it!! I can't wait until tonight. I felt so badly for Bethany and her family. And when the one guy was talking about how his son was miserable and sick and he realized that so many people lost their loved ones and how sad it made him, ugh, I was almost in tears. I could FEEL his pain. And, of course, that was when DH walked in and said, "He's crying already? He's in charge! What a baby." and I responded, "Shut up you callous ba$!@rd!" (ending with a semi-laugh - I don't actually speak like that to DH, nor is he really that rude - we are both extremists ;) ).

Anyway, I'm loving it. And SOOOOOO glad I was born in this day and age. And, while I'm not looking to get into politics, I thought it was interesting how that one woman said she was participating to try to get back to the heart of why this country was founded. I think if I was to participate, it would be just "for fun" (which, by the looks of it, isn't much). I love that the one girl wanted to be "the sexy milkmaid" LOL!

parkersmama
05-18-2004, 05:13 PM
We caught some of the iron-age show on re-air. It was really interesting! I think I'm gonna have to check out Colonial House...thanks for the heads up!

stillplayswithbarbies
05-18-2004, 05:15 PM
>I
>love that the one girl wanted to be "the sexy milkmaid" LOL!

That would be the one all covered in goat crap?

I laughed when the goat stepped in the milk bucket. I wouldn't have known what to do at that point either.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel Feb 91
Logan Elizabeth Mar 03

MommytoDylan
05-18-2004, 09:56 PM
I went to the website (www.pbs.org) and followed the links to learn more about the people participating. The governor's family was participating in a live chat earlier today. I followed the links (you have to sign in) and Bethany shared that she is doing well and said to watch tonight to see if their whole family returns.

The funniest thing is I was sure the lay preacher's wife was a Santa Cruz professor. She just totally looks the part. I looked up her bio and was close--she is a professor of anthropology at Chico State!

Meredith

alkagift
05-18-2004, 11:24 PM
I didn't watch tonight but I did last night, and loved the premise. Missed Manor house but liked 1900 house. I think that people have a hard time gripping that they are supposed to be in the times, not just 21st century people dressed up...the laws then were certainly archaic. I hear that tonight was the whole scarlet letter incident, I'd be interested if the Governor really can keep people on task if he's too heavy handed with the letters...

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

LucyG
05-19-2004, 09:18 AM
LOVE, LOVE, LOVE those PBS shows!!! I have been waiting expectantly for Colonial House to come on! I loved Frontier House, too. Also, we really got into The Farmer's Wife, a PBS documentary about a farm family in Nebraska, about six years ago. Dare I admit here that DH bought me the boxed set of The Farmer's Wife for my b'day this year?? I just really loved it, from both a sociological and emotional perspective. Any other Farmer's Wife fans?

LucyG
05-19-2004, 09:20 AM
OK, was I the only one crying last night when the little piglet (Suzy, I think) was not doing well, and then rejoicing when she started to nurse???

josephmama
05-19-2004, 10:39 AM
You're not alone. I'm sleep deprived so I'm crying at everything. I am so into this show now. I forgot it was airing then found it by accident. I really enjoyed frontier house, too but missed half of that. I just have to remember to watch on monday- I seem to forget when anything good is on!