PDA

View Full Version : Did you vote? (American Idol)

redhookmom
05-19-2004, 12:30 AM
I went to vote on the School Budget tonight so I was on a roll...

I know she is not popular here but I love Fantasia. I got through rather quickly so I am afraid not to many people were voting for her.

MelissaTC
05-19-2004, 09:46 AM
I tried to vote for Diana and could not get through.

blnony
05-19-2004, 09:52 AM
I didn't get to vote; but I did record it and got to watch late last night. I think Fantasia is awesome. I think Diana is good; but not the best. I wish I could have voted but I think their voting system has to be flawed, how else does Jennifer and LaToya get voted off before Jasmine???

StaceyKim
05-19-2004, 10:13 AM
I voted for Diana. She has such an incredible voice. I think the judges are gushing a little too much for Fantasia. It kind of made me sick! She was screaming the songs!

Interesting article in the NYT

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/19/arts/television/19IDOL.html?ex=1085972559&ei=1&en=1d892c33cac14033

papal
05-19-2004, 10:15 AM
I didn't vote because i had to take a shower but my vote, based on last night, would have gone to Fantasia. I think she did really well and I could look beyond her Macy-Grayishness and her YeahYeahs. I do think she needs a fashion-makeover.. she needs some colors in her wardrobe... she wears black ALL the time!!
I though Diana was good too.. and maybe I just like the song, but i thought her MoutainHigh (is that the name) was a good rendition... not too SHOUTY as Simon called it.
I used to think that Clive Davis was a nice old man but he was a bit harsh.. maybe I have grown to expect guest judges to be nice.

Edited for grammar.

jk3
05-19-2004, 10:30 AM
I didn't vote because I can never get through but I would've bvoted for Fantasia. In my opinion, she's the only one left with real potential as a star. Diana has a fantastic voice but she seems ripe for Broadway. Jasmine has a good voice and she seems really sweet but she's not a superstar. It would've been more of a contest if the final three had been Fantasia, Latoya + Jennifer.

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

suribear
05-19-2004, 12:28 PM
I tried (several times) to vote for Fantasia, but the line was busy so I never got through, not to mention I was trying to do laundry and other stuff. I haven't voted before, but I didn't want Miss Jasmine to stick around any longer!

The voting is a joke, though. They encourage people to vote as many times as they want. I guess if I had nothing else to do, I might lol

Kris

flagger
05-19-2004, 01:17 PM
I voted for Jasmine several times. I want to see Fantasia gone for good tonight.

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-19-2004, 01:38 PM
Just another lesson to me here in how differnt strokes for different folks...and I respect it fully...

But for me I am shocked that anyone thinks there is a competition here, for to me clearly Fantasia is the only choice, the other two didn't sing any better than I would expect from going to a local club. I felt like this whole season has been lame lame lame. These kids (and to me they were kids) are some of the sweetest, cutest and nicest personalities one could ever wish for...each and everyone...but Fantasia (and that la Toya chick) were clearly in a leaque of their own I think...clearly...(and the other gal who was voted off sooner I forgot her name)...

Just my opinion and said in all due respect for others opinions I promise...it cleary is a great reminder to me that beauty of all types is in the eye of the beholder....

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

urbanmama
05-19-2004, 01:46 PM
I didn't vote last night, but if I did it would probably be for Diana.

I definitely think that Fantasia is the best performer. She really gets into her songs. But I don't think that her voice is necessarily the strongest and she doesn't have as much range as Diana (or some of the others that already got booted). Also, while I don't mind hearing a song or two from her, I think I would scratch my eyes out listening to her sing a whole CD or a whole concert. UGH!

I also agree that this season's show is not nearly as enthralling as the last two!

Marie

MelissaTC
05-19-2004, 02:02 PM
I agree with you. I must confess that while I do own Clay Aiken's cd and cd singles, the AI season 2 cd, AI version of "God Bless the USA" on cd, and Kimberely Locke's cd, I wouldn't buy a cd from any of these remaining contestants.

Calmegja2
05-19-2004, 02:16 PM
I want to like Fantasia, but ever since Simon said she sounded like Donald Duck on helium, I haven't been able to take her seriously. That's what I hear now. She may not actually sound like that, but I can't tell anymore.

Jasmine is about 10% great, to my ear. 10% of the time she sounds passable, the rest of the time, I'm wincing.

I want to like Diana, I really do, and I think I do. She's got a strong, clear voice, but she's striking me as too practiced. I'm not sure there's anything genuine about her at all. She's manufactured.

Last years's final three was much better. I still love Kelly Clarkson from Season 1, and Clay, of course, but this year, I can't see how I'd be tempted to buy anyone's CD.

Maybe Latoya, but it depends.

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-19-2004, 02:33 PM
I have to admit that I have no desire to really listen to a album or many songs from Fantasia either...a song on the radio here and there, kinda Macy Grayish (????) I would like, but I too wouldn't want much of it...

She is enjoyable to watch I think more than if I closed my eyes and just listened...so I agree there...great point!!!
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

amp
05-19-2004, 02:55 PM
Neve - I'm with you on this one! I have been an AI in the past, but not this year. I don't even care if I make it home in time to watch it anymore. I think they're all great kids too, but I (myself personally) couldn't bear to watch Red stay on there while others left. And to know that Jasmine stayed while LaToya went. This is obviously no longer about talent and I think that's wrong.

cinrein
05-19-2004, 03:51 PM
I'm one of those passive fans who watches and doesn't vote.

If I had voted, it would have been for Fantasia and Diana. I don't care which of those 2 win, but I really don't want Jasmine to be the American Idol.

Cindy and Anna 2/11/03

lisams
05-19-2004, 05:05 PM
I love Fatasia also!! I like her voice and her true personality, I think she's genuine! Something about Diana's voice bugs me, it sounds too nasal like she always has a cold. I also think knowing she's been in talent shows since a young age turns me off - too practiced not one of those people that has music "withitness". Jasmine in my opinion has gone downhill the last two shows. I really liked her earlier but the past few performances have been weak.

Can I just say that I LOVE Simon!!!! I love when he winks ;-)

Lisa

flagger
05-19-2004, 06:50 PM
I personally would like to see AI go away. The percentages collected by Fuller are nothing short of usurious.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/SHOWBIZ/Music/01/21/music.idolmaker.ap/

Sarah1
05-19-2004, 06:58 PM
I agree, Stacey--all the gushing (over Fantasia) made me a little sick to my stomach.

I didn't vote.

Calmegja2
05-19-2004, 07:05 PM
Darn it. I was hoping that Simon Fuller article would have a picture of him. I've been so curious as to what he looks like, for some bizarre reason.

redhookmom
05-19-2004, 07:37 PM
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6382.jpg

StaceyKim
05-19-2004, 08:16 PM
I am sick of Fantasia too. She SCREAMS the songs and cannot speak proper english but she is better than Jasmine. I thought the pink haired girl (forget her name) was a contender!

lisams
05-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Oh, I think her name was Amy. I REALLY liked her, so sad to see her gone so early.
Lisa

JLiebCamm
05-19-2004, 08:58 PM
ITA, Neve.

Rachels
05-19-2004, 10:18 PM
I missed it-- who got voted off?

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02