PDA

View Full Version : TB test for 12 month old???

jd11365
05-19-2004, 11:02 AM
Kayla got a TB test at her 12 month well-visit. I didn't question it then, beccause I really didn't think of it. I mentioned her shots at my playgroup and my friends thought it was weird that she got a TB test. So I called the ped's office and they told me it was standard practice. I shrugged it off at the time. Now, my insurance company has denied payment (only $15...that's not my real issue) because they say it's unnecessary. I called 3 other peds who told me they don't give it either unless chance of exposure otherwise not even until middle school. No chance here...I'm a SAHM! I've had issues with this ped since 2 months and I can't believe I stayed this long. The better ped is 45 minutes away. Anyway, please tell me there are no bad effects to her having this test so young...I'm nauseous at the thought...and really ready to cry as I let this happen!

TIA!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

amp
05-19-2004, 11:10 AM
Oh, Jamie - Hugs to you! Don't cry! I don't have any expertise on this, but I would imagine it can't do her any harm. And I can't say I blame you for assuming your ped was doing something standard. I, perhaps naively, assume they are doing the right thing and have only started to question some stuff since Jake arrived! Anyway, it's timely that you post this since Jake is about to have his appt. and I can be aware of your info and refuse it if they try to give him one. So thanks for the heads up.

Relax, take a breath and give yourself a break. Kayla will be fine!

marinkitty
05-19-2004, 11:13 AM
Jamie -

I don't know if this will make you feel better or not, but Mia also had a TB test as part of her routine 12 month checkup. Our insurance did cover it as part of her well-baby coverage too.

Holly
Mom to Mia (3.17.03)

chlobo
05-19-2004, 11:21 AM
I feel your pain. I started going to a new doctor and as part of my initial exam they did blood work they said was routine. well the insurance company denied coverage for some of the tests they said were not routine - namely ones for socially transmitted diseases. I was livid. The dr. never even asked me if I was at risk and when I got the test results from the dr. all it said was "all blood work normal". It didn't even say what tests they had done. I only found out b/c the insurance co. denied the claim & I was sent a bill from the lab. Needless yo say I was livid.

I'm not sure who these doctor's think they are, just administering things without explanation but it really irks me. Did you know that before your child is given immunizations the doctor is *required* to go over all the possible side effects with you. Not just give you a meaningless piece of paper but actually review it? Bet that doesn't happen often. It scares me that things that have the potential to do harm have become so routine that they are done without thought or explanation. Gives me the creeps.

COElizabeth
05-19-2004, 11:53 AM
Jamie,

Don't cry! TB tests used to be very routine, and they still are for a lot of people (living or working in crowded conditions, etc.). I remember getting a gazillion of them as a kid. I checked a few web sites, and the only risk noted was a chance of redness and swelling at the site, but this tends to occur more often in people who have already had one positive test.

Elizabeth, Mom to James, 9-20-02
EDD #2, 10-30-04

mandye
05-19-2004, 11:58 AM
Hailey goes in on Friday for her 9 month well baby and she is supposed to have a TB test then. Maybe I should check with our insurance co to make sure it is covered and talk to the ped about it, too.

I would imagine (hope) that there are no ill-effects from it.

Mandy

suribear
05-19-2004, 12:06 PM
It's routine here, and no ill effects, so not to worry!
ETA: I don't think we do them at 12 months, but still no big deal.

Kris

Marisa6826
05-19-2004, 12:14 PM
Sophie got a TB test at her `15m visit. I didn't think twice about it. Maybe because of where we live, but I'd rather have her do the test, than end up with fullblown TB.

-m

momma_boo
05-19-2004, 01:18 PM
Don't beat yourself up over it. DD had the TB test done at her 12 mos well-baby visit. It was considered a routine test by our ped.

Honestly, it seems like what a ped considers "routine" varies for the tests. I know that at 9 mos, DD was tested for lead but it isn't done by all peds.

houseof3boys
05-19-2004, 02:11 PM
No expertise here, but just wanted to say that I probably would have assumed the same thing you did. I am so sorry that you are upset! I'm sure all will be fine (I did a cursory glance at side effects and Elizabeth is right on) with Kayla.

If you aren't happy with the ped office, switch to the farther one even thought it's a PITA to drive. You will be much happier in the long run. :)

Hugs!

jd11365
05-19-2004, 03:33 PM
I'm a bit calmer now, thanks. I posted and then went to playgroup...thankfully...or I might have blown a gasket sitting here alone festering (if that's really a word) about it. One of the other kids in the group actually got the TB test too just this week and her mother didn't question it either. I tell ya, I happen to feel like I'm one of the more informed ones in the bunch...especially because of these boards...so I can't believe I didn't even ask about it when they went to administer. But then again, they didn't even tell me what shots she was getting, I had to ask. I'm all for vaccines...after much research on these boards...but I guess I'm not happy with the way it all went down. I guess now that I've taken a breath, and read your posts, I can see that there is not harm done...she had no reaction. When I saw the denial, and it said medically unnecessary, it hit me in the gut...like I did something unnecessary...an injection none the less! I asked them to have the ped call me so I'll be interested to hear her take on the whole thing. Maybe you're right Marisa, knowing is better than not knowing, I'm holding on to that one...but I'm still not happy with the whole thing...it should have been discussed.

Thanks for the support girls! HTH someone who might end up in the same boat...
BTW, I'm a bit embarrassed that I told you I was ready to cry...which I was...AF is back for the second time in almost 2 years (pregnancy and nursing)...and she's back with a vengence! I'm ready to cry at just about anything right now...I promise I'm not a complete whackadoodledoo!

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

californiagirl
05-19-2004, 04:19 PM
The TB test is just a scratch, not an injection, if that makes you feel any better. But change pediatricians anyway! Mine explained every vaccine to me one at a time with special emphasis on anything that might be confusing (like one was a combo, so there were 5 lines on the form but 4 needles). It was clearly a spiel she had memorized, she did it so often, but she was careful to give me time for questions. And they had pre-labelled the syringes to match the form so you could see what they were doing and count off with the nurse.

jd11365
05-19-2004, 06:55 PM
What form? I've never seen any paperwork of any kind...

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

californiagirl
05-19-2004, 08:15 PM
Goodness! There were three forms I saw: the official state immunization record, which they stamp and I keep; a form the doctor keeps with her medical records, which the doctor was ticking things off on as she explained them to me; and a consent form I had to sign. I'm in California.

jd11365
05-19-2004, 09:57 PM
And my DH thinks I'm overreacting and I should trust the doctor because she's there to help not to hurt. He said maybe it's good to know she's TB free because you can get it from anyone near you... Although there were only 5 cases in my whole county last year and only 1,000 in the whole state. I guess I'm ok with the idea of the actual test now, just p**sed about the way it was all handled...plus I never got a call back today! I am definitely checking up on these forms...Florida is not the brightest state in the Union...Can you say c-h-a-d?

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03