PDA

View Full Version : Photo Album that holds a 1000 pics?!

papal
05-19-2004, 11:33 AM
Do you know where I can get one that is not hideously expensive and not too ugly. Miss Leela is slowly collecting a LOT of pictures and I want to put them all in one album.

The only one I could find was this one:
http://www.exposuresonline.com/Detailx.asp?ITN=08%201291&EDP=84277

TIA!

suribear
05-19-2004, 12:19 PM
One thing I've learned from scrapbooking is that not everything has to go in an album :) Choose the ones you like best and avoid duplicates (though you could store the copies behind the original, if you want). When I look at my old albums I realize how silly I was - there are so many pictures of the same thing and just tiny variations in the pose. Nowadays I scrapbook the best ones (that's another story - I'm way behind LOL) and give the others away to relatives.

The album you linked is nice. It will get very expensive by the time you put in eight more refills (only comes with one). Does it have a space to write in little comments? That will help you remember what was what. You don't have to write in something for every picture but at least the more memorable ones, or you might forget as Leela gets older. There are lots of album options. Check out photo stores, too, like Ritz camera.

Oh, do avoid the magnetic albums. I used them exclusively for years, until I learned they're not recommended. Sure enough, they're yellowing. I have another big project up ahead, to transfer the pictures to the pocket type albums :(

Kris

papal
05-19-2004, 12:34 PM
Thanks Kris, you are so right about not keeping duplicates in albums and similar-poses. I am guilty of that.. i just have a tough time throwing away her pics.. i even keep the blurry ones!

Question for you.. what are Magnetic Albums? And how do I know which are Archival quality and won't yellow the pictures?

amp
05-19-2004, 12:37 PM
Rashmi - Magnetic albums were plentiful years ago. You'd stick the picture to a sticky page and then the plastic cover would stick (magnet or static clingish) back to the page to hold the pics. Then you had pics stuck for years that you could not unstick without ripping and if you removed the plastic page too many times, then it wouldn't stick anymore later. Not a great system. Just find one that lets you slip the pics into plastic sleeves, or archival albums or scrapbooks that let you remove the pics if you want to scrapbook them, copy them, etc.

papal
05-19-2004, 01:06 PM
Ack! I have used those for some pics!! I must get new albums! Thanks for the heads-up.

zen_bliss
05-20-2004, 05:38 AM
is there a ross near you? sometimes they have surprisingly nice albums for $8-$10. i kept looking around until i saw a very large archival expandable binder pocket album (5 per page) in orange pebbled texture i liked, then bought all i could find (5), and a few smaller ones (3 per page) in bound red leather for special occasions. so that should about cover the first year :)

pritchettzoo
05-20-2004, 11:46 AM
Don't throw away the similar or blurry ones! Keep them in a photo-safe box (and you can keep TONS that way) or keep the discs in a safe place. All my mom has left is the crappy pictures as ex-hubby #3 did away with the albums themselves.

Hopefully you won't have that problem. Especially with the # of ex-hubbies. ;) If you do, don't make Leela attend all of the weddings. I've been to FOUR of my mother's now. :P

Anna
Mama to Gracie (9/16/03)

egoldber
05-20-2004, 11:51 AM
Honey, you really need a digital camera. Do you know what you'd save in developing costs alone? Not to mention film. :)

jd11365
05-20-2004, 11:54 AM
Actually, I wasn't thinkin of an ex-husband factor, but I would keep the similar ones for Leela! I read of o woman who made doubles of all her pics...one for her albums and one set to go in a picture box for her daughter. How many of your baby pics do you have? Usually our parents have them... I thought this was a neat idea...but I'm a bit of a dork. :P

Jamie
Mommy to Kayla
5-1-03

papal
05-20-2004, 12:10 PM
I want the Nikon D-70. Dh is like WHAT!!?? First you say a $300 Canon-A80 camera and now it is a $1300 camera!! So we are stuck because i want the D-70 and a D-70 ONLY!!!!!
Meanwhile, we continue to curse the Ritz camera doofus and continue to spend a fortune on film developing.
Arrrrrghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

rrosen
05-20-2004, 12:26 PM
Rashmi-
Check these out.
http://tinyurl.com/3dkr4

http://tinyurl.com/ypjwm

Please accept my apologies that they are Martha

suribear
05-21-2004, 01:57 PM
Rashmi, please throw away the blurred ones, for my sake lol

Choose your favorite shots and put those in the album. Keep the rest in a photo box, so you'll still have them. I can't throw things away either, so I know how you feel :)

I do see things differently now that I do scrapbooking. You can crop out the yukky parts of a picture, for instance. I also try not to take pictures unless I will put them in the book.

I'm also STILL thinking of going digital. I'm definitely the type who needs to see and feel the print, though, so I would be printing out several, but at least that way you don't have to print the bad ones yet they can be in storage somewhere on disk. I can see myself taking ages to decide what to print lol I also want a high end camera, like you. We have lots of house stuff coming up this year, so maybe next year!

Kris

suribear
05-21-2004, 02:00 PM
Wow, Rebecca, that large album is MASSIVE!
Kris

papal
05-21-2004, 02:16 PM
LOL Kris... yes, I am throwing away the blurred ones! I have the negatives.. hopefully, the technology will be still around 20 years from now, if Leela wants to see ALL her pics (even the blurred ones)!

I just started scrapbooking yesterday... so only the 'good' pics are going in the scrapbook.. the rest are going into a photobox after I label and date them all. I am glad i started doing this now.. i can imagine just giving up if I started a year from now!! There would be way too many pics at that point!

If and when I go digital, i will only take prints of the pics that will go into the scrapbook. But then I will have to burn cd's for the rest of the pics, back them up somehow etc etc... seems more overwhelming than my current film camera....but it is getting TOO expensive buying and developing a roll of film a week!!

suribear
05-21-2004, 02:25 PM
Oh wow, you're scrapbooking!! Welcome to the club :) Which scrapbook did you get?

Kris

papal
05-21-2004, 03:10 PM
hey kris, i have a semi-parallel post in the Crafts forum..l have SUPER basic supplies! :)
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=84&topic_id=474&mesg_id=474&page=

mattysmom
05-21-2004, 03:11 PM
I read that you are thinking about the D70 - I got it a couple of months ago and LOVE it!! It's so nice to take 100 pictures in a sitting (with no shutter lag), look at them on the computer and then decide which ones to print. I ventured into the world of scrapbooking through a creative memories party, but so far have just collected supplies and haven't done any yet (although your recent posts are inspiring me!)

As far as burning CDs and backing them up, I have been very cautious by my dh is great about taking care of the technical side. We have 2 computers with all of our pictures on them and soon we'll get an external hard drive (which doesn't cost much). CDs are SO cheap to buy - we make CDs with all of our pictures for our parents and siblings (as well as a copy for us) so hopefully between all of these, we'll have pictures forever! Having multiple copies of CDs is safer than just one set of negatives, right?

I'd love to see the pages you've scrapped (your dd is adorable - I love the felt balls pictures!)
Ali

Kimberly H
05-21-2004, 08:42 PM
Rashmi, I burn my photos onto two CD's at the end of each month. One goes into the safe deposit box, the other is kept at home.

For those once-in-a-lifetime events like our trip to China to adopt Mia, I have *multiple* copies of the CD scattered here, there and everywhere.

Should CD technology get old, I'll transfer them to whatever the new media is.