PDA

View Full Version : What 'must have' quickly became a 'didn't need'?

AngelaS
05-19-2004, 04:45 PM
I'm pregnant with my third child and since I sold EVERYTHING after the second, I'm shopping this summer!

I remember with my first that there were BUNCHES of things I felt I MUST have to bring a baby home from the hospital. With my second there were fewer things I needed and with my third...well, diapers and clothes and a crib are about it.

So what did you think you HAD to have, did MAJOR research on and then wound up never using??

doubleL
05-19-2004, 04:53 PM
Oh the list is too long to list. Once that baby pops out, you realize love and patience (and yes diapers) are the biggest necessities. Everything else is cake.

Lou
~David 5.01
~Elisabeth 6.03

candybomiller
05-19-2004, 04:54 PM
My biggest must have was a peg perego milano stroller. Once the baby was here, I HATED that thing!

momathome
05-19-2004, 05:10 PM
That goofy travel system - it was a piece of junk! A bottle warmer was also pretty useless - a bowl of warm water always did the trick just fine. Special baby detergent was something I also skipped with baby #2 - ALL Free and Clear is good enough for the whole family. Good luck on your shopping quest - if you are really trying to save money on things that have a short shelf life, try and find a good local consignment shop. I have seen Pack and Plays, baby swings, Baby Bjorn's, and other useful stuff a lot cheaper than full retail. HTH!!!
-Lauren

mamahill
05-19-2004, 05:53 PM
Bottles and pacifiers. Oh well, guess they'll be new for the next one.

ShayleighCarsensMom
05-19-2004, 05:59 PM
I agree with that stupid travel system, a boppy pillow, bottle warmer, wipes warmer, 1/2 the baby clothes!, bottles, pacifiers, baby bath tub (we always put them in the shower with us), baby detergent (we use arm and hammer), goodness if my husband sees this thread he's going to say "I told you so!"
I think that a sling or bjorn and a good quality easy to steer one handed stroller is essential for getting out of the house...(so that you can go and buy all this worthless stuff, LOL!)
Godo luck!

lizamann
05-19-2004, 06:06 PM
The arms reach co-sleeper. I was so gung ho about that thing before dd was born but she slept in it maybe once. She much preferred our bed.

The gliding ottoman - I should have taken the Field's advice and just bought a simple nursing stool.

FP aquarium - dd never got into it.

Baby monitor - we can hear her just fine without it.

The plastic bathtub - never used.

cuca_
05-19-2004, 06:33 PM
The Boppy pillow (I preferred regular pillows when I was nursing) and the diaper genie. Hated, hated the diaper genie and ended up throwing it out after a couple of months!!

HTH

Carmen

tinkerbell1217
05-19-2004, 06:40 PM
A Diaper Genie had just become popular and I thought I needed one, well I HATED that thing!!! Also, a bottle warmer was totally unnecessary! For my son, pacifiers were not needed, he hated them.

Kelly

jubilee
05-19-2004, 06:46 PM
Stroller- I insisted on getting a stroller that would hold the infant car seat, but honestly I rarely went out in the first several months- so I wish I had gotten a stroller that would have been lighter and more longlasting.

Exersaucer- used it for only 2-3 months, and only once a day.

Expensive Sling- for the 3 months I used it, a cheap sling would have been fine.

Mobile- he only sleeps in the crib, so why did I think a plaything would be a good idea?

Momof3Labs
05-19-2004, 07:52 PM
Bouncy seat, swing (well, we used it a little bit), PNP (although it made a good dresser/changing station, I guess), Bjorn, mobile, Boppy, I'm sure there's plenty more I haven't thought of yet!

AngelaS
05-19-2004, 08:16 PM
I'm garage saling like a mad woman! :D I picked up a like new $10 vibrating bouncy seat last week and already have more Carters, Gymboree and Gap things in size 0/3 than I really need. :D I love a good sale!

momathome
05-19-2004, 08:44 PM
You go, girl! :) :) :)
-Lauren

alkagift
05-19-2004, 09:24 PM
The swing, first and foremost. He sat in it, but it wasn't his favorite thing. The swankiest PNP--I didn't need the one with the changing table or all that stuff. Several baby tubs: I just should have stuck with one and left it at that. Boppy pillows--I got tremendous backaches until my LC told me to switch and it made a huge difference. Oh, and the Avent microwave bottle sterilizer--bulky thing takes up too much space!

Allison
Mommy to Matthew Clayton, 5/19/03

JLiebCamm
05-19-2004, 10:18 PM
Beth, FYI, DS just started enjoying his aquarium at 15 months or so. It never held his interest before now. You might want to give it another try if you put it away.

lizamann
05-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Thanks for the heads up - but I already gave it away to a friend with a new baby. I hear he loves it, so I'm happy about that.

Jeanmick
05-19-2004, 11:44 PM
Several of these items have already been mentioned, but here's my list:

1. Boppy Pillow
2. Wipes Warmer (didn't really need it where I live)
3. Swing (both kids hated it, unfortunately)
4. Stroller Travel System
5. Boppy Neck holder-uper (don't recall the name of it)

That's what comes into mind at the moment. :)

MamaKath
05-19-2004, 11:58 PM
Least Useful Items:
Swing
Infant Carseat/Travel System
Bottles
Expensive pump (who was I kidding, I never went back to work FT)
Boppy
What to Expect ______ Series of books
Clip on highchair
Prima Pappa Highchair (love it, but could have gotten all the features on something cheaper)
Baby Bjorn
Gobs of toys (we have tons of nearly new toys that just sit and are not played with)

Most Helpful Items:
A pram (also had a stroller seat for later) that doubled as a bassinet on wheels as needed
A nursing pillow by I think Nojo (firm foam, not wrap around shaped)
The Baby Book by Doctor Sears
Sling (Love love love the OTSBH, did not like the Zolo)
Baby Trekker
Convertible Carseats (RA and AO)
Cloth diapers
Gowns in the begining, and Sleepers a bit later

The biggest must have with my second was a post partum doula. She was absolutely amazing!!! My family had chipped in on it as a gift instead of buying lot of little things I wouldn't need. It is funny what things dd hated, and ds loved, and vice versa, lol.

Congratulations by the way! HTH~