PDA

View Full Version : Separation Anxiety + Milestones + Teething (?) = NO SLEEP

jec2
05-19-2004, 06:35 PM
and sore boobies for this mama! HELP!!!! What do I do? How do I get this baby to sleep? I am just too tired to hear my instincts. What am I supposed to do besides plug the baby onto the boob the whole night?

We were sleeping great(11 hours/night) until about 1 month ago. Last night, however, baby awoke every hour and so his sleep is getting worse.

I tried to talk, rub and he just screamed so I nursed/rocked ala Pantley. I even sent DH in there to rub and comfort and we were both exasperated by Finn's screams after about 10 mins. Finally I just brought him to bed with me and he seems to nurse a lot.

ncmommy
05-19-2004, 09:32 PM
I'm so sorry you are haivng such a rough time! I'm far from being an expert on the whole sleep issue, but maybe you should check with your pediatrician just to be sure there is no ear infection or anything like that. I have always found it reassuring to talk to our ped. about sleep issues - that way they can check him out (including taking a good look at those gums to see if any teeth may be coming in). At least then you can feel a little better about things. Also - I like Pantley, but Brazelton has some good suggestions too. Good luck!

Raidra
05-19-2004, 10:06 PM
We've had a few really rough nights lately, too.. and I'm not really sure what the problem is. Once or twice I've given Colwyn Tylenol in case it's teething pain, and I've given him Mylicon drops, too, just in case it's gas.. nothing has seemed to help very much.

We've just kind of put up with it. A few nights ago he was up every half hour. I swear. We were strong and kept putting him back to sleep in his crib until about 4:30, when we brought him into bed with us.. and that really didn't help. We just didn't have to get out of bed when he woke up.

His sleep habits change from night to night.. sometimes he'll give us 7 hours without waking, sometimes he'll wake up every two hours needing his binky popped back in, and other nights he'll need to be bounced back to sleep every hour. We just follow his lead.. he sleeps in our room in his crib, so letting him cry doesn't work for us. He should have his own room (finally) in another few weeks, though, so we'll see.

How is he eating during the day? Colwyn's been taking more formula than usual at night lately because he hasn't been eating as much during the day. I try as hard as I can to get him to eat during the day, but he's just too busy. Could that be part of the problem?

I know I'm not giving you a lot of help.. but at least you know you're not the only one going through this. :)

jec2
05-19-2004, 10:54 PM
I feel like such a dope, but what do I say when I call the Ped.? Do I just tell him that the baby is waking every hour and wants to nurse back to sleep? I just called yesterday too about a rash on his nose, so I hope I don't make the "frequent callers club!"

jec2
05-19-2004, 10:59 PM
finn seems to be eating well during the day. Of course, the days when we are out, nursing is a distraction to him. Like Cowlyn, finn is just so busy. He really has started to eat a lot more solids too so I cannot imagine he is hungry.

He's always been a baby who wants to be held but I am just about ready to lose it here. It's doubly frustrating because we had such a wonderful taste of those 11 hour nights. Give 'em back, give 'em back!

I think I will call the dr. tomorrow and just check his teething and if there is an ear infection.

papal
05-20-2004, 10:43 AM
{{Juliet}}
Really, what is going on with our babies???
Maybe Finn is getting ready to crawl or stand up?? Must be a major milestone around the corner.
It could definitely be stranger anxiety too... yesterday we went to Michaels to frame something and there was a nice lady there who offered to hold Leela (she was fussing in the sling)..so I handed her over. After staring at her and smiling for 10 seconds, Leela let out this eardrum-piercing scream and cried and cried. So i walked her around a little but everytime she saw this woman's face.. she would resume crying!!! What the heck??? This from a baby who smiled and shook hands and went to random strangers just a couple of weeks ago in NYC.
So that could be it also.. he just wants to be attached to his mama.
And then ofcourse it could be teething. I am dosing Leela every night too.. she does not bite down as much.. but I think her fussiness might be because of that... who knows??!!

Luckily, Leela has been sleeping same as usual (wake up every 3-4 hours to nurse)... except last night when i plugged her to my left boob to get unplug the plugged duct.

So, as you can see, I have been of NO HELP in deciphering what is going on with Finn.. just wanted to weigh in and say that " I am right there with you mama!".
Thistooshallpass Thistooshallpass Thistooshallpass.