PDA

View Full Version : Visiting Seattle - suggestions from locals?

Mom2Miri
05-19-2004, 06:37 PM
We're taking a short trip to Seattle this weekend. I'm looking for suggestions of places to go with a 15 month old, and places to bargain hunt. :) I'll have a day and a half with DD and DH (who loves bargain shopping!) and then a few half days alone with DD. So bargain hunting with DD & DH can be anywhere in the area as we'll have a car. The half days alone with DD will be in the Trade Center area.

Appreciate any suggestions!
Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

jec2
05-19-2004, 07:01 PM
I'm originally from Seattle but haven't lived there since college. Yet, it is still home :)

Anyway, the aquarium, the zoo, or seattle center/pacific science center are all probably great with a younger one. The zoo is a bit north of downtown. So, depending on where you are staying and whether you will have a car will make a difference. Although, you could always take a bus. People love Pike Place Market, but I find that it can get extrememly crowded with tourists and make it more of a challenge. Also, taking a ferry ride out to Bainbridge Island is always fun for a kid of any age :)

As for bargain hunting, mmm. Are you looking for good, old-fashioned junk? I can't recall where the good junk stores but the city is kind of littered with them. But, there is a flea market in Freemont (as I recall it is fairly small). Perhaps Pioneer Square and lower Queen Anne still might still have some good junk shops. When I was in college we spent a lot of time at the Goodwill, which is down near where the kingdome used to be.

Anyway, hope that you have fun :)

JulieL
05-19-2004, 07:33 PM
DH and I just went at the first of the year and absolutely loved Pikes Place Market, as well as downtown. The aquarium right by the market is wonderful for interaction with kids. We son a ton of families there. We went for our anniversary w/out DS and really ended up thinking about him so much because of all the families we saw. We definately are going back when we can. I'll think you will find it quite enjoyable.

Karenn
05-19-2004, 08:24 PM
Seattle is such fun! (I'm not biased or anything, it's just my home town!) I love University Village and it has a great outdoor play area for kids. You won't find too many "bargains" there, but there is a consignment shop just up the street called "A Child's Closet" and there are all sorts of good deals to be found there.

Another place to visit might be the Children's Museum. It's at the bottom of the Center House at the Seattle Center (which is in itself a fun place to visit- there's lots of room for a little one to run around.)

I think the Seattle Zoo is wonderful. We were there this weekend and Colin had a blast.

I love the Waterfront (which is where the aquarium is located) but there aren't a lot of places for little ones to play. Still, one of my favorite things is to stop at Ivar's for some clam chowder and enjoy their outdoor seating. A ferry ride could be fun too. The ferries are huge and there would be plenty of room for a toddler to run. (Colin is not one who will stay in the stroller for long so all of our trips are based on where there's room to run. ;) )

I haven't been in a while, so this may have changed, but the lower floor of the Pike Place Market used to be filled with antique/junk stores. There's also a Nordstrom Rack a block or two up from the Market. The Market's just an interesting place to visit regardless. It can be very crowded, but there are plenty of sights to keep a toddler entertained. If you're a coffee fan, the original Starbuck's store is down by the market. Plus, they (the market, not starbucks) have beautiful fresh flowers very cheap!

There's much more, but those are the first things that come to mind! Hopefully the weather will be decent for you!

Mom2Miri
05-19-2004, 11:14 PM
Thanks for all of the ideas! I should have been more specific about bargain hunting....I meant warehouse or outlet stores, Nordstrom Racks, Tuesday Morning, etc, especially ones only found in the Seattle area.

Karen, thanks for mentioning the Nordstrom Rack downtown. Somehow when I searched on yahoo yellow pages no Racks turned up.

Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

Karenn
05-20-2004, 12:11 AM
I wish I could remember which street the Rack's is on, but it really is just a block or so up from the market. I'm sure you can find it without much trouble.

If you're willing to drive to an Outlet Mall, my favorite in the greater Seattle Area is the North Bend Outlet mall. It's about an hour(maybe 45 min.? It's been awhile since I've been there from Seattle) east of Seattle. Follow I-90 to North Bend and you'll get there. They have Striderite, Oshkosh, Carters, Eddie Bauer- just tons of stores. Another outlet mall is "Super Mall of the Great Northwest" in Auburn. It's about 30 minutes south of Seattle. In my opinion, it's not nearly as good as the North Bend mall, but it's still OK. If you're a Hanna fanatic, there is a Hanna Andersson outlet about 30-40 minutes Northeast of the city in Woodinville.

Have a fun trip!

jec2
05-20-2004, 12:55 AM
I believe the rack is 2nd and Pike, or thereabouts.

Like th eabove poster said, there isn't much in the city as far as bargain shops. YOu have to go outside the city, which isn't bad. And, if you are a "Twin Peaks" fan, then Northbend is the place for you as they filmed it.

Mom2Miri
05-20-2004, 01:39 AM
Oh this will be fun! :) We'll definitely have to go visit the Hanna outlet and the Nordstrom Rack. I'm not a Hanna fanatic but do like the occasional piece there, but not the prices!

Anywhere in addition to Ivar's that you'd recommend for seafood? Downtown or elsewhere, we're willing to drive.

Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

Thatchermom
05-20-2004, 03:09 AM
I doubt the Supermall would be worth the drive from up north. For kids stuff, there is a carters outlet, Gap and Old Navy, that sort of thing. Prices are not great - more like a regular mall than a true outlet mall. If you want shoe stores, about every other store is one. They do have a good kids play area. If we are truly outlet shopping, we drive to North Bend.

When my family visits from out of town (in the summer, though, for better weather!) they like to do the cruise through the Ballard Locks, the Space Needle, those kinds of things. They like both the Zoos (Woodland Park in Seattle, Point Defiance in Tacoma. We live in the middle) Both zoos accept reciprocal zoo memberships if you have one from your area. They have bought some kind of City Pass before that had admission to several attractions included like the zoo, aquarium and science center. I don't really have any info on it, but it saved them some money.

BTW - for any other locals: Both zoos have a non-compete restriction on their memberships since they are so close. You can't buy a membership at one and visit the other with it like you can most other zoos. Take a trip to Portland and buy your membership there - it works for both zoos!

mteve
05-20-2004, 05:57 AM
The Nordstrom Rack downtown is either on the corner Pike or Pine streets, and is I believe 2 blocks east of Pike Place Market. If you drive out to Woodinville for the Hanna Andersson outlet, there is also an Oshkosh outlet and and Eddie Bauer Outlet. If you drive out to Woodinville, make sure you do not go at rush hour times if it is a weekday. To get to Woodinville, you'll want to take either the I-90 or 520 bridges, then get on I-405 north. When you get past exit #22 you'll want to be in the far right lane to catch highway 522 to Woodinville. You'll get off at the first exit on 522. Turn right and then take a left past the train overpass. The Hanna outlet is about a half mile on the left, just past the Wendy's.

Eve

mharling
05-20-2004, 11:03 AM
I worked in Seattle for a year and this thread is making me miss it!!! This was pre-ds, so I really wasn't on the lookout for kids stuff.

My parents came to visit me and rented bikes at a place near Pike Place Market. I had an apartment at Harbor Steps (which is also near the market) and I believe the bike place was on the back side/down the hill from Harbor Steps. I would imagine they could also rent a bike trailer for Mirielle. :)

Yes, Pike Place Market can get crowded, but I still consider it a must-see. If you go during the week, it should be more manageable. It's a fun place to walk around and there's great people watching.

2nd and Pine sounds about right for Nordstrom Rack. I worked at 2nd and Seneca and remember it being a short walk.

If you're baseball fans, Safeco Field is a beautiful stadium. It's a manageable walk from the downtown area and cabs are also readily available. The area around it (between downtown and the stadium) has lots of art galleries and antique shops. There's also a great toy store over there, but I'm forgetting the name of it.

There's a place downtown that has the most amazing cookies ever. I'm drawing a blank on the name. If I think of it, I'll come back and edit. Maybe one of the locals can help.

Have fun!!! I'm jealous. :)

Mary & Lane 4/6/03
[link:www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b370a2992536|Birthday Pics!!]

Karenn
05-20-2004, 11:30 AM
>
>BTW - for any other locals: Both zoos have a non-compete
>restriction on their memberships since they are so close. You
>can't buy a membership at one and visit the other with it like
>you can most other zoos. Take a trip to Portland and buy
>your membership there - it works for both zoos!

Thanks Susan! We were just trying to figure this out this weekend!

Sandy
05-20-2004, 08:10 PM
Nordstrom rack is on 2nd and pine. They no longer carry childrens clothing at the downtown location. If you want a rack that also has childrens clothes and shoes in addition to adult stuff try the one at Factoria Mall off of I-90 in Bellevue on the way out to the North Bend outlets. There is also a Loehmans within a couple of blocks of the Bellevue Rack. There are 2 Tuesday Mornings in the eastside. One in the Bellevue Overlake area (which is the larger one) and one in Kirkland. If you go the the overlake Tuesday Morning there is a Marshalls within a couple of blocks.

HTH,
Sandy mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

Karenn
05-21-2004, 03:11 AM
Ivar's is just greasy fish 'n chips -comfort food- not necessarily good seafood. (Don't want you to get your hopes up!) :) Really, you can probably get good seafood at any of the nicer restaurants in Seattle. I think Salmon's in season right now, so I suspect it will show up on a lot of "fresh" sheets. I especially like Anthony's on the waterfront and Ray's Boathouse at Shilshole.

Mom2Miri
05-21-2004, 05:53 PM
Thank you all! FYI, I also found a lot of nice information on the www.gocitykids.com website.

This started out to be a last minute tag-along trip, just so DD and I could spend time with DH (who is traveling a lot on business). Now I'm really looking forward to it thanks to all of you!

Helen & Mirielle 2/25/03

Melanie
05-21-2004, 07:40 PM
Hanna Andersson outlet in Woodinville. =)

The Aquarium would be fun for a little one, it's downtown, also the "streetcar" along the waterfront. I think those are just about 15-20 blocks down from the trade center...will you have a stroller or car? The walk back might be a hike.

There's a definite lack of children's play areas in the downtown area (we spent a month there). I second the University Village shopping area (Hanna RETAIL store there) but if you aren't going to be there for that long, you might not be starved for a playground like we were.

The Children's Museum at the Seattle Center (by Space Needle) was great and you could probably walk from your area to the monorail to take it there.

HAVE FUN! I'm green with envy!!