PDA

View Full Version : Feed your head! What new subject or skill have you learned lately?

zen_bliss
05-21-2004, 05:32 AM
what books, videos, etc did you use to teach yourself? i feel like learning something new!

ok, i'll start. i learned to work on cars years ago starting with "auto repair for dummies" by deanna sclar (ugh the title, i know -- but it is written by a woman for women and easy to understand) to start, then got the hayne's & chilton's manuals for our cars. as well as asking mechanics lots of questions & getting under the car to watch them at work, then finally just getting in there and sweating & cursing through upgrading a regulator & generator for a new alternator in our classic. i'm 'retired' now, but just reading the book and knowing generally how the systems function has saved me (& my friends) *lots* of $$$

some mamas here have learned to knit recently. i got a kit but it is too basic and additionally not very clear, so i'd love a recommendation for a good instruction book i can find at the library.

AngelaS
05-21-2004, 08:14 AM
I recently taught myself how to do smocking. I tracked down the one person I know who does it and asked her bunches of questions, found several good books on the subject and jumped in. The girls' Easter dresses got rave reviews and I'm hooked. :D

Before that I learned how to fix my washing machine. It was leaking water all over the floor (again!) so I took it apart to find the source of the problem. It wasn't hard to find, the piece wasn't hard to take off and I just took it to the repair place and ordered a new 'whoozit'. Then I put it back together. :D Piece of cake!

miki
05-21-2004, 09:49 AM
Knitting for Dummies is a good basic book.

I'm supposed to learn how to make glass beads. My husband got me a kit for my birthday. I'm supposed to try not to burn the house down with the torch.

zen_bliss
05-21-2004, 11:25 AM
angela, can you post pics of your smocks? (i actually don't know what 'smocking' is -- see, i'm learning something already.)

i'll check out knitting for dummies. are books from the 'X for dummies' series generally quite good? what about "the complete idiot's guide to X" series?

llcoddington
05-21-2004, 11:25 AM
I am learning how to use Macromedia Fireworks! I can do a few cool things with pictures and I'm pleased as punch! DH gave me a tutorial and wrote down the exact steps for a few processes, so Rashmi here I come! :)

Lana
mommy to Lauren 12/5/03

amp
05-21-2004, 11:29 AM
I learned how to create a collage in photoshop. I also learned how to post a link that actually just looks like a regular word or title, as opposed to the long url of a link. I know, lots of you already know how to do these things, but for me, it was very cool and I'm pretty proud of myself!

IMO, the "Dummies" books are better than the "idiots guide" books. I also like the "Everything for..." books.

Oh, add I had to ETA that I learned both of those skills from people here on the boards. Thanks ladies!

heidi_timms
05-21-2004, 11:33 AM
I wanted a Mama bracelet. You know, the kind with your child's name on it. I ordered all of the beads that I thought I needed, got a book and it was soooo easy, but I was so satisfied with my final product!
~Heidi
Mom to Kailey Ashlin
4/27/03

papal
05-21-2004, 12:18 PM
I started scrapbooking! With the help of mamas on this board, I went and got a few beginner supplies yesterday... album, pages, cutter, glue, pen and started! The pages dh and I made (he loves to use the cutter thingy) are really simple.. pics and a few lines of text.. but I am SO PROUD!!
It gives meaning to the pictures.. already I am forgetting the date and place of some pictures (doesn't help that we take SO MANY pictures either!).
We made three pages so far:
- Daddy keeping Leela warm at the Cherry Blossom Festival
- Picnic in the Park - My 6 month birthday
- Look ma, I'm sitting!

heehee. This is so much fun you guys!! :)

Oh, couldn't resist, here is a pic of Leela from the Cherry Blossom Festival. She was in the Moby wrap, forward facing, in Daddy's jacket. :)
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6468.jpg

Today I am doing pages for Mother's Day and her 5 month birthday. :)
Here is a pic of Leela from our picnic on Mother's Day. :)
http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/6469.jpg

NancyJ_redo
05-21-2004, 12:25 PM
Electrical stuff! I bought the Wiring 1-2-3 book from Home Depot and have taken on little projects in the house (switching out lights, outlets, etc.). Today is a bigger project - putting in a ceiling fan. Hoping I can get it done.

murpheyblue
05-21-2004, 01:14 PM
Sign language. DH and I recently took a 6 week signing class. I'm amazed at how many signs we've learned so quickly.

Dcclerk
05-21-2004, 02:12 PM
I haven't been updating my my mind as much as I would like. I guess my big thing lately has been playing around with Photoshop. I really enjoyed making my DS's invites and definitely think that I will be creating his thank you cards (of course still with a handwritten note ;) ), and future Christmas cards, etc.

But if you need any help on knitting, I'm happy to help with the basics! I'm definitely a beginner but can certainly get you started. And I've found the knitting stores in LA to be very helpful.

HGraceMom
05-21-2004, 02:25 PM
Crochet & sewing (with a machine) - next on my list are knitting & smocking...

sirensrise
05-21-2004, 03:50 PM
>angela, can you post pics of your smocks? (i actually don't
>know what 'smocking' is -- see, i'm learning something
>already.)
>
you know, i was thinking about the same thing. great minds think alike.

egoldber
05-21-2004, 04:02 PM
Here are some examples of smocked items:

http://www.handmades.com/childrenscorner.html

hobey
05-21-2004, 04:08 PM
Knitting.....and I'm horribly addicted. I have the Knitting for Dummies book which is a good reference especially for the more advanced techniques but I love the Stitch N Bitch (by Debbie Stoller) book because the learn-to-knit instructions are a lot clearer and I can actually understand the pictures.

Raquel
Nathan's Mom 12/19/03

AngelaS
05-21-2004, 04:14 PM
Wow, I'm honored that you asked. :D Here's my girls' Easter dresses: http://www.babiesonline.com/babies/m/my2sweetgirls

sirensrise
05-21-2004, 04:33 PM
wow, it is ADORABLE, so , how do you "smock"?:)

egoldber
05-21-2004, 04:37 PM
very slowly....... :)

starrynight
05-21-2004, 04:51 PM
I found sewing again after a long hiatus, I tought myself to crochet and I want to learn to knit but every time I've tried I ended up cussing and throwing the knitting needles across the room so maybe i should stick to crochet ;).

I tought myself how to use paintshop pro(sorta like adobe but cheaper). I'm otherwise slacking in the keep the brain working department!

californiagirl
05-21-2004, 07:11 PM
With DD just 11 weeks, mostly I've been concentrating on learning to be a mommy. Breastfeeding is my major new skill. But I did sew with knits for the first time and I've been taking yoga for the first time.