PDA

View Full Version : Which seats are the best on an airplane?

Mom to Brandon and 2 cats
05-21-2004, 06:01 PM
We're flying Southwest. We'll get to pre-board. I was thinking of going for the bulkhead, but since the armrests don't go up and I need the space for my MA, I guess those won't do. Where are the best seats for us? DS will be a wiggly, squirmy, 1-year old.

TIA!

StaceyKim
05-21-2004, 06:29 PM
other than first class :D i like one seat behind bulkhead. that way you get extra room for bags under the seat in front of you and you are at the front of the plane so it's faster to get on and off.

candybomiller
05-21-2004, 06:29 PM
First class is ALWAYS best. :) I think this is one of the questions where people have different opinions. I don't like bulkhead because you don't have the seats in front of you to stow gear. Personally, I think with a toddler it's best to be in the back. It's louder so your child will not seem as loud. Also, people don't like to sit in back as much, so there might be a lot more room.

Just my experience though.

cuca_
05-21-2004, 06:56 PM
I agree with others about the bulkhead, you don't have the space to store bags. I usually request seats towards the front. That way I don't have to lug my stuff a long way when boarding. I usually wait to exit, though, that way I'm able to get everything together, and don't have a line of annoyed people behind me wanting to get off. However, I don't travel light so it might be different if you do!

HTH

Carmen

Zansu
05-21-2004, 08:42 PM
The armrests in most SW bulkheads do go up. The arms in the emergency rows (where you can't sit anyway) are fixed.

We ususally sit in the back b/c it gives us more time to get everyone organized, seats installed, toys/books/snacks arranged, etc. And we still usually wait for the stroller to be brought up, so there's no need to dash off the plane.

I also like the back b/c it's noisier (good for white noise and so I don't feel bad about disturbing others), and, as someone mentioned, it's not as popular, so you may end up with more space. And there will be action in the galley to entertain your DS as they load provisions.

FWIW, I can get a RA in the seat without raising the arm, so a MA should fit as well.

HTH!

deborah_r
05-21-2004, 10:18 PM
> And we still usually wait for the stroller to
>be brought up, so there's no need to dash off the plane.
>

jumping in here...I'm getting ready to fly with my one year old soon, what do you mean by the above? (about the stroller being brought up) - I'm confused about what to do with my stroller, as I am thinking I need to push it along onto the plane with the Marathon in it (so I don't have to carry the MA; will have DS in a sling) Thanks!

Momof3Labs
05-21-2004, 10:21 PM
They probably won't let you push your stroller onto the plane - for starters, it won't fit down the aisle. You'll have to take the car seat off at the door to the plane (at the end of the jetway) and leave the stroller to be put underneath the plane as gate-checked luggage. Then when the flight arrives, you'll have to wait for them to bring your stroller up from the belly. It usually doesn't take long, but if you sit up front you might be waiting.

cuca_
05-21-2004, 10:52 PM
Deborah -

As Lori said, you can't push the stroller into the plane. However, you can ask a flight attendant to help you with the car seat. I have done it before and they are usually pretty helpful. Plus, you will be amazed how many people offer to help you when you are travelling alone with a baby.

Have a good trip.

Carmen

suribear
05-22-2004, 02:13 AM
For long hauls, I like the back row. In fact, we just did that last week and it worked out really well! Main reason is there is a bit more privacy for nursing and fewer people to disturb :) Potential downside was being next to the restroom, though it didn't bother me.

For short flights (Southwest flights usually are shorter) I prefer the front rows. I do like to keep my diaper bag down, and that may not be possible on the bulkhead, though I believe you might be able to squeeze it under your seat. If ds has a seat, you can put the bag under his seat. If not, it might be tough to make space.

Actually, I've flown in the first two rows many times. You know how the first rows face each other? That works out great if you have someone like your dh facing you, otherwise I wouldn't do it (potential for ds to bother a stranger by throwing things in his face - I can see it now ;)). The only problem for us now is that the car seats have to be near a window and cannot be placed in the row that faces to the back of the plane. We end up sitting in two rows because we have two car seats to deal with.

Kris