PDA

View Full Version : Two kids under two...how do you leave the house?

MKH76
05-22-2004, 04:31 PM
Aurrghh!! I just tried to go to church by myself with the kids. DH had to work today and he asked last night if I thought I would go to church without him. I was thinking it was totally doable..heck, I go to the grocery store with the kids, right? Wrong!! (FWIW, we go to church on Saturday, to not confuse all of us mommy (and daddy) brained!!)

So my idea was to put Megan (8 weeks) in the sling, so she can nurse when she needs to. I work full time, so on the weekends, she helps build the supply back up by eating whenever she wants. Then I would have two hands free for my toddler (two in July). We've been going to this church for a few weeks now, so everyone knows us (small town). We get to the little sunday school part for the kids, and Josh is crying and carrying on. Finally settles down when he gets into his comfort zone. Megan is now snacking away and nobody knows. This is going good. Then another mom pulls out two sippy cups for her kids. WHAT? I'm all for being prepared with snacks for the kids, but as a child I was never allowed to eat in church. Josh is hysterical now screaming "juice, juice!!". We go to the mother's room (the soundproof room where you can still listen to the church) where he is really crying, full on sobbing, I hold him and realize he is really feeling warm. I have been sick all week, so he probably has my crud. I ended up getting in the car and going home. Baby in sling, toddler under one arm like a sack of potatoes and diaper bag in hand, I calmly walked to the truck and put the kids in their car seats, kisses and home we went. They are both sound asleep.
I guess I just feel like, gosh, I work all week, it is not enjoyable for me to drag the kids to church which inevitably is right during lunch/nap time...just asking for a temper tantrum. Not to mention I don't reallly have any shirts that fit over my post partum/nursing mom figure, and I can't wear a dress unless I plan on hoisting it up to nurse. Buying new clothes right now is not an option either, the only store we have on the island is Wal-mart and wash the clothes once and they shrink. I'm not interested in wasting any more money!!
Okay, this was part vent part seriously, how do you do it? Help!!

Mary H.

starrynight
05-22-2004, 04:44 PM
Is there any other time you can go to church either a later or earlier mass so it's not at nap time? And when Alex was that age in church I would let him have a sippy cup simply because it was the only way to keep him happy, and a lot of other parents did it also so I was asking for trouble if I didn't bring it.

And I next to never go out by myself with the 3 kids, with their ages it's just too crazy. But if I have to I do use the sling like you do or I use my double stroller and try and get through things as fast as I can but I understand you can't fast forward church!

toomanystrollers
05-22-2004, 10:20 PM
For now, I pray at home :) - our church is old and not too kid friendly. Saturday masses are at 5:00 pm (AKA - the Witching hour).

I try to get all errands and running around done in the morning - much happier kids.

MKH76
05-22-2004, 10:41 PM
Just to add insult to injury, nothing opens here on the weekends until noon. Again, grocery shopping with two tired kids. Aurggh!!! I hate when my DH has to work the weekends.

atlbaby
05-23-2004, 11:45 PM
Well I have two kids under 2.5 here, does that count? :) Just had to chime in that I hear you on the DH working weekends bit. My DH just worked all weekend and frankly, it's not so much fun. In my county nothing (save for supermarkets) is open on Sundays and so today our big plan was going to Whole Foods and the drug store, LOL. Going to the local park for the small zoo and playground can't work with two yet--there's a carousel that Arielle MUST ride...and I haven't yet figured out how to do this solo. I hope your DH doesn't have to work weekends too often, it really does stink when it seems everyone else's is around.

-Rachel
Mom to Arielle, 10/30/01
and Daliya, 10/27/03

stella
05-24-2004, 12:33 AM
It is so hard with two little ones and just one mama. I realized that you can try anything, but when it starts to fall apart, you have to be willing to abort your mission.

When it gets to be too much, I cut the trip short. It was also hard leaving the house - I was chronically 30 minutes late. the difference in getting two ready vs, one is unbelievable! My dh worked a lot of weekends that first year, and it was so tough! I relied heavily on the church nursery and abig day was sometimes one errand.

And tehre were days when I found it made the most sense to just surrender to the chaos. And if everyone (including me) wore pajamas all day and all we ate was cheerios, well, that wasn't the end of the world.

They are now 18 months and 3 (practically), and are actually starting to be a lot of fun. I am looking forward to the next few years!

Hang in there! It does get easier.