PDA

View Full Version : Have you/ would you ever hire a babysitter found on a flyer???

Mommie2MadLyn
05-23-2004, 03:48 PM
I just moved out of state because of a career change for DH. I am looking to start making some $ myself, and I was wondering if any of you have ever hired a babysitter that you found posted on a flyer. I just got a # for a woman looking to babysit, and it got me thinking about doing this myself. I could post flyers here in my community, and at the local grocery stores, etc. This seems to be a good idea, because not only will I be making a little bit of extra $, but I won't have to worry about care for DD. I just wonder how many people actually use this type of child care announcement? And if you have any suggestions as to other venues in which I could post the flyers, I would appreciate that as well.

sadie427
05-23-2004, 04:18 PM
I would. I suppose I would be slightly more careful than if the sitter were responding to an ad that I had posted, but in general I think you have to interview the person, check their references, and trust your instincts, no matter how you find them. It helps if the flyer looks professional, it makes me more likely to take the number and call.

redhookmom
05-23-2004, 09:04 PM
I think it might help to get to know some moms, through playgroup or some such thing, and getting the word out that way. If someone knows you and has seen you interact with your DD they would always mention you when someone brings up a need for babysitting. HTH

american_mama
05-24-2004, 08:11 PM
I would have references ready since I *hope* any parents who responds will ask for them. And let your references know that people might be calling. I would post ads in coffee shops, libraries, grocery stores, community newspapers, book stores, and perhaps local churches. The connection with local people for both advertising and references is a great idea.

My one suggestion would be to make your flyer look really good, and to absolutely have no spelling mistakes. If I don't know a person, all i have to go by in the flyer, and if I see spelling mistakes, bad xeroxing, off center stuff, handwriting rather than printing, or whatever, my mind assumes the worst. A photo or two of what you are offering (play equipment in yard, play space in house) may also make strangers feel more comfortable responding to you.