PDA

View Full Version : any opinions on the new ford explorer?

mamaturk
05-24-2004, 01:29 AM
DH and i are considering buying the new Ford Explorer (4 door), i was wondering if any of you have this car or know someone who has one. Have you heard of any likes or dislikes? I love it but it's not DH favorite, i'm trying to give him more info to help change his mind. Thanks in advance!

momma_boo
05-24-2004, 11:41 AM
We looked at it last year when we were car-shopping.
DH has a very old Explorer ('93, I think), so we did initially look at the new ones.
Our only complaint was that the arm rest was rubbery and didn't feel very nice.
I know it seems so trivial, but I knew it would annoy us every time we were in the car.

We ended up getting the Honda Pilot (FYI - the armest was a nice, leathery texture).

Tondi G
05-24-2004, 02:28 PM
My Sister has a new Ford Explorer! She is leasing it.... it has leather that is nice and so far she likes the car very much! I like that the middle seat in the 2nd row has a full shoulder belt not just a lap belt like our older Dodge Durango!!!! The ride is pretty nice and there is plenty of room..... the 3rd row is a nice thing to have (we have one in our durango and have used it a bunch!!!!).

Some friends of ours have a one or two year old Explorer and have 2 kiddos (their little one is about 4 months old).... they have nothing but good things to say about their Explorer!

Good Luck... Car shopping is tough ain't it!!!!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

NEVE and TRISTAN
05-24-2004, 02:43 PM
Kelley,
It's all such a personal decision but I have to be honest I'd look at the Honda's...my hubby is a car (and motorcycle) freak and I know many people have the Explorer's but I know he would always steer us away.

We are a home filled with Japanese vehichles so I guess we are bias. If your concern is that they are not made in the US oddly enought stats have shown that they are made by as much "American hands" as are the american cars...

For instance my little Honda was made in Ohio...
I don't know much detail on that but I do know I have heard it often...Just my two cents, the few I've known who have Explorers love them the first year but for some reason they don't after awhile...

Just suggestioning (since you asked) to look around alittle...
Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

MelissaTC
05-24-2004, 03:10 PM
I drove (until recently) a 1998 Ford Explorer XLT. I LOVED this car. She NEVER had a problem, NEVER left me anywhere...I had no troubles what so ever with this car. I changed the oil every 3,000 miles and did the usual maintence and it was good to me. We switched to the minivan because *I* felt like the Explorer no longer fit my needs. It is not super family friendly and I wanted more room. I am hoping once my child (maybe children!) are more grown, I would switch back to a Ford SUV, probably an Expedition.

Anyway, the newer ones have a better ride than mine did since they have the rear suspension...My friend bought one last year and likes it better than mine...