PDA

View Full Version : People who have lived abroad (and techies!!)

aliceinwonderland
06-24-2004, 05:53 PM
What sort of adapter would I need to use my american PC in Europe, with the difference in voltage and all??

Thanks so much :)

egoldber
06-24-2004, 06:07 PM
Check your power cord, but if it is one of the big brick type of power supplies, it almost undoubtedly is designed to work in Europe. Probably all you need is a plug adapter.

ETA: did you mean a laptop or a desktop?

HTH,

aliceinwonderland
06-24-2004, 11:06 PM
Unfortunately, I do mean a desktop(!!) We're donating ours to my parents, sinmce each of us has to have their own laptop this fall.

RwnMayfair
06-25-2004, 12:46 AM
Our desktops and our laptop were all useable overseas with just an adapter. The laptop was easily plugged into the wall with just a plug adapter. The desktops we honestly did end up using transformers with, since we had some that were given to us by the embassy that we didn't need elsewhere, but I do know that they could have been used with just an adapter as well. I didn't look at the back of them too hard myself (and since they're still overseas with my husband right now, waiting to be packed up next week, I can't look), but I have vague memories of there being a switch on the back that you just flipped between 115 and 220, and then all you needed was a plug adapter.

Okay, out of curiousity, I just looked at the back of my father's desktop (I've got our laptop with me, which is what I'm using these days), and it has a switch like I remember our desktops having. So I'd take a look at the back of your desktop and see what's back there. :)

-Melissa

Taran, November 20, 2003

newbelly2002
06-25-2004, 05:19 AM
Yup to what everyone said. We bought our desktop over here so I can't speak to that, but as long as there is a switch you're golden. Most major electronic devices these days are geared to work with both. It's the smaller appliances (eletric razors, baby monitors, etc) and the like that are a royal pain in the derriere.

Just be sure to fill out a customs form and have the receipt with you when you bring it in. Good luck!

Paula
Mama to Dante, 8/02

aliceinwonderland
06-25-2004, 10:34 AM
For my used, personal computer?..Bummer, i don't have one...