PDA

View Full Version : Month+ long trip with infant--what to pack??

aliceinwonderland
06-25-2004, 04:12 PM
some "third world country" travel involved--I am clueless as to what to pack?? I know I need something to keep his hands clean (what kind of wipe do I use that would be safe if he put his hands in his mouth?)

Planning to get:
diapers
wipes
Burt's Bees Insect Repellant
Infant Tylenol (or is Motrin better?)
Sunscreen
Pacifiers

there has to be more??

deenass
06-25-2004, 05:26 PM
only chiming in with the fact that motrin is only after 6 mos of age,prior to that tylenol.

Will your son need shots for the 3rd world countries you are visiting?

aliceinwonderland
06-25-2004, 05:36 PM
he'll need his regular shots...which we're getting Monday :(

good to know on the Tylenol/Motrin stuff...I don't hold any meds in the house, so I had no idea...

diekatze
06-25-2004, 07:04 PM
Besides Tylenol, how about:
- Pediatric Electrolyte in case baby gets diarrhea, vomitting or dehydration. thermometer for his temperature check,
- Light Bouncer--incase you need to put him down for a while.
- Bathing stuff
- Extra clothing, blankets
- Q-tips/Rubbing Alcohol/Cotton Balls
- Diaper Rash Cream
- Some formula and bottles incase you can't breast feed.(Just incase)
- Hand pump if you are breast feeding
- Baby Water, cleaning materials for formula bottles etc.
- Toys, books(Little Leapad-my son loved it on the plane-yours might be too young but might get his attention)

When I travelled to NYC last time for a month, my DS's baggage was twice bigger than mine. I literally took as many stuff as I can carry. If I think of something else, I will post again.

aliceinwonderland
06-25-2004, 09:25 PM
Thanks...What's "baby water", and why would I need the Q tips and alcohol??

jk3
06-26-2004, 02:36 AM
Check with your pediatrician but you might want to take some type of allergy medication like Children's Benadryl just for emergencies.

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

sunriseiz
06-26-2004, 09:30 AM
Baby (nursery) water is sterile and has fluoride. I've only seen it in gallon containers, so I don't know about the practicality. Purell makes hand wipes that might be worth investigating. Souns like it will be an interesting trip!

Have fun!

Sunny
Mom to Ellie 10/28/03

diekatze
06-26-2004, 10:31 AM
Q-tip and rubbing acohol is for cleaning purposes. Ear area after bath(gently with q-tip) and rubbing alcohol for belly button area...

It might be too much stuff for you to carry and if you can get it from the country, I wouldn't pack it.

My case I literally too everything... ^___^*** I was afraid that something might happen and thing won't be available or hard to find.

egoldber
06-26-2004, 02:16 PM
If I were you, I would only really be concerned about medications. Other stuff is going to be available, even if it is not exactly what you are used to. But medications may not be readily available in non-urban areas in infant or childrens formulations.

I would take both infant tylenol and motrin. The info about no motrin before 6 months is old info. It is now approved for infants age two months and up. I would go to www.askdrsears.com and print out the dosage charts there and take them with you (maybe laminate them?). The best way to dose is by weight, not age. And motrin is much more effective for many types of pains, especially teething and fevers, at least in my experience.

I would also bring childrens benadryl, which is approved for infants 6 months and up, but I would personally use it on a younger infant as long as there is a dosage listed for his weight. Again, check the sears site for a dosage chart by weight for childrens benadryl. And benadryl would be really helpful to ease discomfort if he did get bitten by bugs.

As far as insect repellent, if insects are REALLY an issue, then you need something with DEET. The Burts Bees stuff is citronella oil based, which is nowhere near as effective as repellents with DEET. Just remember to use it lightly. There is no need to slather it on like sunscreen or to reapply it as often. Maybe mosquito netting that could be used on a stroller, bouncy or whatever would be helpful as well. I know some may balk at using stuff with DEET on an infant, but if you are in an area where insects are really carrying disease, then I would personally rather use something that is truly effective.

You don't need a lot of sunscreen to cover an infant, but it probably is not bad to take. And a good sunhat works wonders too.

We took Purell with us to Africa when handwashing was not always available after using the bathroom. You could also use it on his hands. It is alcohol based and evaporate quickly, leaving no residue. A lot of wipes leave residues.

I would plan to breastfeed exclusively there. It is the best thing you can do to avoid issues with contaminated water (an issue for mixing formula) and will pass on your antibodies to him.

HTH,

aliceinwonderland
06-26-2004, 07:20 PM
Thanks everyone. I do plan to continue exclusively breastfeeding: my only REAL concern is the water and keeping his hands clean. Will check on the Purel wipes.

thanks again :)

sadie427
06-26-2004, 09:01 PM
I agree w/ Beth--I would only worry about things that would be hard to get there and are really necessary, like meds, sunscreen, insect repellent. Purell's not a bad idea either--there was a study done in hospitals that found it even better than handwashing for killing bacteria, so if you're in an area with some endemic diseases it would be good to use. I definitely wouldn't bring things you don't use at home (like nursery water or q tips). I haven't traveled out of the country w/DS, but I have always tried to pare down what I packed and then didn't end up using half of what I bring anyway--on our last trip we didn't even use the stroller!

egoldber
06-26-2004, 09:40 PM
Purell is not wipes (or they may make wipes, but that is not what I meant). It is a jar of liquid-gooey stuff. It is readily available in most drugstores.

HTH,

sunriseiz
06-27-2004, 09:23 AM
Purell comes both ways. I've bought both at Sam's. The wipe come in a giant bax of individually wrrapped towelettes...convenient for purse or small diaper bag. I keep a bottle on the changing table and in the big disperbag.

HTH
Sunny