PDA

View Full Version : Questions for Moms expecting twins who have a young child already

DDowning
06-25-2004, 08:54 PM
How are you dealing with taking precautions as required for the pregnancy while still tending to your DD/DS's needs? What were to happen if you were put on bed rest? Would you have family available or did you hire domestic help?

I know I'm not anywhere near a point to consider this but I'm just trying to get an ideal of what I'm in for as I progress along with this pregnancy.

TIA!

cdlamis
06-25-2004, 08:57 PM
Deidra-
Congratulations on your pregnancy and the twins! Did I miss the announcement or is this it?
Anyway, I have no advice for you. But I am wishing you a happy 9 months with LOTS of rest! :)
Daniella
Mom to Julia 6-13-02
And baby #2 EDD 12-30-04!!

spu
06-25-2004, 09:40 PM
Hi Deidra,

Congrats on expecting twins!!
I have twins, (and only twins) so I can't answer to having an older third child, but my cousin has a 4 yo and 1.5 yo twins.

BUT-- I was on bedrest for 4 months, starting at week 18. I went in for my level 2 u/s and my cervix was wide open, so they did an emergency cerclage, and that was it until around 35 weeks. I can talk with you more about bedrest if you want. It's highly possible w/twins to be on bedrest or modified bedrest toward the end, but in my case, it was the reverse - toward the end, they lifted it though it was pretty uncomfortable moving around in the heat of July pg w/twins! Good thing you're due in the winter! :)

The important thing now is to make sure you're seeing a high risk dr. - such as a neonatologist, who is familiar and actively involved with such situations. I had a friend pg w/twins who delivered at 28 wks which may have been prevented if she had a different dr. who did things differently. Not to scare you by any means, but here's the big thing - make sure they measure your cervix constantly! (along with the usual exam stuff...)

If you want, check out www.sidelines.org They provide free support for moms on bedrest. I had a great 'bedrest buddy' and have since become a sponsor for other moms w/high risk pregnancies who are on bedrest.

In the meantime, if there's anything I can answer for you about twins, feel free to ask or email me directly. There's not a whole lot of twin moms out there on the board, so I'd be happy to share with you anything.

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

DDowning
06-25-2004, 11:48 PM
Thank you susan for the insight. Its very helpful. I am in the process of getting approval to see a perinatologist now (I'm currently still under the care of my RE).

Thank you also for the support website. I'm hoping I won't need bedrest at all or at least put it off as long as possible. I'm more worried about being able to care for C more than anything else but at least I know where to turn to for support for me!

Thank you! I'm sure I"ll have lots of questions as time goes on!

ColorBlue
06-26-2004, 01:17 AM
Deidre,

I'm expecting twins in November and have a 2.5 year old. It took me at least a month to really believe that I was having twins and even now it still strikes me every now and then...I just cannot believe it! Are you getting sick at all? I was so sick that I lost 15 pounds!

I've planned for a sitter to come in twice a week for July and maybe three times a week for August for about four hours a day. This will enable me to both rest and get prepared. I am also going to move a vcr to my bedroom so that dd and I can watch her videos from bed if I have to. After 24 weeks my OB recommends an hour of rest in the morning and an hour in the afternoon, either lying down in bed or on a couch. I've been essentially napping when my dd naps already so I've got the hour in the afternoon all set! If I have to go on bedrest...well I'm not sure what we will do, if its in the summer then we will get sitters (high school girls). If its in the fall which is more likely than I guess family, hopefully my husband will be able to work from home. Also my dd starts preschool in the fall two mornings a week and they have an afternoon program so regular school would go from 9-1 and I might extend her to three.

I would recommend getting Dr. Luke's book on twins and also just resting a lot. Also the site twinstuff.com is excellent...lots of moms expecting and with small children already...also lots of advice on potential bedrest issues etc. Really cannot recommend it enough...also the best part are the pictures of newborn twins!

Congratulations and feel free to keep in touch.

Tracy

dd Grace 11/01
edd 11/04 TWINS!! GIRLS!!

NEVE and TRISTAN
06-26-2004, 08:52 AM
I'm just now seeing this...wonderful news!!!!!
Big hugs,

Neve
http://home.nc.rr.com/ourbabytristan
AKA "mama2be"-forgot password
and Baby Boy Tristan born @UNC
Feb 25, 2003
Brother to 3 pups "gees" and 2 kitties

DDowning
06-26-2004, 11:49 AM
Thank you Tracy! Actually I do have the book by Dr. Luke. Her section on being pregnant with multiples while already having children is what prompted my questions!!!

Thanks for the website link. I've added it to my list!

DDowning
06-26-2004, 11:50 AM
Thank you Neve!

nathansmom
06-26-2004, 12:09 PM
I have no plans right now for getting help. However if I end up on bedrest my dh has a job that will enable him to either take Nathan with him or stay home with Nathan. I do have a feeling I will end up on bed rest at some point.

nathansmom
06-26-2004, 12:11 PM
How exciting that they are both girls. I've got my fingers crossed that one is a girl for me. I've been trying to email you back but each time my email comes back to me. Can you try emailing me again about the van? I promise I'm not ignoring you.

toomanystrollers
06-26-2004, 07:03 PM
Deidre,
Just want to wish you a happy, blissful pregnancy :) - congratulations!!!

bonbon98
06-26-2004, 08:29 PM
Congrats on your twins! I mostly lurk on the board, rarely have time to post. I just have my twins, no other children so I can't really answer your question. My one advice is to look into a multiples club in your area if you haven't done so already: http://www.nomotc.org

HTH and congratulations!

Bonny
Mom to Evan & Emma 5/7/02

spu
06-27-2004, 11:13 AM
Hi Deidra,

If you can see a peri, that would be wonderful. I saw a Peri, and it may certainly keep your mind at ease.

As for having a c, bot of my babies were head down from 18 weeks til the end, so we opted for an induction since I live about 1.5 hours away from the hospital - which reminds me of another point - make sure you're set up to deliver at a hospital with a level 3 nicu just in case... So after 15 hours of induction, we decided to do a c, and I'm so glad I did for so many reasons. I can describe more details if you wish, but the bottom line is to deliver healthy babies - and a healthy mom!

good luck and again, feel free to email me anything if you like!

susan

twin girls 7.20.02
charlotte + else

http://sunger2.home.comcast.net/bash/nonflash/year.html

jec2
06-27-2004, 12:09 PM
Wow, twins! Congratulations.

JLiebCamm
06-27-2004, 05:13 PM
I don't have any answers for you, but wanted to say congrats!

jamsmu
06-27-2004, 09:13 PM
Wonderful news!!! I can't wait to hear what your baby names are!!!!