PDA

View Full Version : OT preparing to sell house...is this normal?

bluej
06-27-2004, 06:47 PM
So apparently word has gotten out that we are getting ready to sell our house. We have had two people stop by and ask about the house (when is it going on the market, for how much, how many bedrooms) and another couple ask to see it (I can't believe it but I let them in and it is TOTAL chaos in here, the basement is half ripped apart as we are doing the demolishing to prepare for the contractors). So tell me, is it normal to have people want know about your house and look at it before it hits the market? Should I expect a lot of this in the next month? I may have to stop answering my door if that is the case.

StaceyKim
06-27-2004, 06:58 PM
Personally, I wouldn't let anyone in until it is officially on the market and priced professionally. You could lose buyers if they see the house before it is ready to be shown too.
I never open the door to unsolicited strangers ringing my doorbell anyway (and I live in a very safe town!).
Good luck selling your house!

jamsmu
06-27-2004, 09:11 PM
Jen,

If you know your asking price, this is actually a great way to sell your home!! A lot of people try FSBO before getting an agent and putting it on the market. You'll save a LOT of money on commission fees and other fees. Just insist that the potential buyers are not using an agent, either. Otherwise, you'd be stuck giving their agent 6%. This way, you'll save the 6% on the sale. If they are really interested enough to call you, then YES show them the house!!!

As for selling without an agent, I'm sure there are tutorials online, a dummy book, or something like that to guide you through. Good luck!!!

lukkykatt
06-28-2004, 12:34 AM
In this market, it is normal. I've had people leave flyers in our door asking us to contact them prior to a Realtor if we will be putting our home up for sale. I also belong to a group for stay at home parents, and people commonly post about homes that they know will be going on the market.

I do agree with the PP who advised not to let anymore people that you don't know into your house though - you never can be too careful.

Sounds like you will have no problem selling - good for you!

alexsmommy
06-28-2004, 09:47 AM
When we were thinking about buying a house in my hometown, we knew we were up against a nightmare market. We mentioned to several people who lived near my parents that we were thinking about buying within the next year, and several people gave up a "heads up" on neighbors who were planning on moving. We contacted the ones I knew, and several offered to let us come look around. If we had had the money to buy one of them, we would have. We came closer to affording it that we would have normally b/c the couple was willing to work w/o a realtor and would spilt the savings with us (again, they've known me since childhood and know how hard it is for first time homebuyers to afford anything in our town). I really appreciated the generosity of the people who invited us in when the house wasn't listed yet. If you are in a really hot market, you'll probably have this happen a lot. It could mean great savings for you, but I wouldn't allow anyone in I wasn't comfortable with. I would also make sure you have an idea of what you can get for the house so you don't grossly underestimate or overestimate the amount. Let people know you can only give a ballpark figure. That will help people to know if they can even reasonably work with you so neither of you are wasting time.
Good luck!

bluej
06-28-2004, 10:19 AM
I wasn't too worried about these people seeing the house. They are friends of our neighbors and looked at the house three years ago before we bought it. I assure you, our basement in it's current condition is actually more attractive than it was when it was 'decorated'. Yes, it was that bad. And by seeing what we have done with the main floor (it's a split level) they now have an idea of what the basement will be like. Anyway, we have had three different market analysis' done on the house so we have a pretty good idea of what we want for it. Still, I'm shocked by how word as gotten out and that people are so interested in it. I'll take it as a good sign, even though I was never worried about selling in the first place.

Karenn
06-28-2004, 11:59 AM
I think it is normal in a "hot market." My grandmother passed away last month and there were people coming by when we were having the wake at her house saying, "I'm so sorry about your loss. When is the house going on the market and what are you asking?" Her house ended up selling before it was officially on the market too, and it was not in the best shape!

khakismom
06-28-2004, 12:09 PM
My girlfriend in Chicago sold her house to friends of her neighbors after they came in while she was preparing to sell. They saved a ton of $$$ by not using a realtor and she didn't have the hassle of having to scatter with 3 kids while the house was being shown.

Good luck--I hope it sells quick! :)

Kieransmom
06-28-2004, 12:13 PM
Two of the girls in my playgroup recently put their homes on the market and both ran into this problem. They had people knocking on their doors the first day. What was great is they both ended up making over $100,000 on the house since they bought them 3-4 years ago!
Good Luck!
Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03