PDA

View Full Version : visiting with baby beluga -picture included-

darby24
06-28-2004, 03:09 AM
Raffi's famous song has been my nephew's favourite since he first heard it around 6 months of age. Played countless times on the cd player, thousands of personal renditions sang on command and hundreds of times his beluga book has been read - and ripped. Though after 18 months of hearing baby beluga, it's another thing to actually SEE baby beluga!

Here is my nephew watching baby beluga playing with a bubble right in front of his face. It's actually too bad you can't see his face - priceless!

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/8388.jpg

new_mommy25
06-28-2004, 04:07 AM
Gorgeous pictures. They would look great in a long frame.

Dcclerk
06-28-2004, 03:42 PM
Darby, that is a fantastic sequence of pictures. It really is priceless! Thanks for sharing :)

momma_boo
06-28-2004, 03:52 PM
That is soooo awesome. What wonderful pictures!

lisams
06-28-2004, 05:22 PM
I was just thinking about Raffi (posting in the favorite quote thread). DD loves Raffi as well! How exciting that he got to see "Baby beluga in the deep blue sea!"

Cute picture!
Lisa

deborah_r
06-28-2004, 05:40 PM
Those are beautiful! I bet he was so excited! Thanks for sharing.

jasabo
06-28-2004, 06:31 PM
Wow! What beautiful pictures!

Lisa - mom to 1 yr old twin boys

darby24
06-29-2004, 03:44 PM
Thank you everyone for your very nice comments.

Still don't think he understood that the song and the whale are the same though. Additional FYI - Raffi actually wrote this song after visiting this aquarium, the same whale is still here too (I think it's the same whale, there are 6 whales and one is old enough to have been here when he wrote the song.) And a bonus there is an *actual* baby beluga, born July 2002.

We'll be going back many times I'm sure, hopefully I can get some shots of the other animal exhibits -dolphins, sea lions, seals, etc.

deborah_r
06-29-2004, 09:20 PM
Which aquarium, if you don't mind sharing?

darby24
06-29-2004, 11:44 PM
Vancouver, Canada. http://www.vanaqua.org He is originally from Toronto, but visited the aquarium while on vacation. He now lives here on the west coast on a island (Mayne).

Raffi just wrote an article in a newspaper as all the candidates for Prime Minister chose him as their favourite children's entertainer. http://www.raffinews.com gives the link to the article. There was recently a documentary on tv as well, giving a biography on his life and focusing on his upcoming book. I think I'm up to date on his life now!

And I'll admit it, when I was a kid I was a big Raffi fan. Though Sharon, Lois and Bram were my favourite. ;-)

deborah_r
06-30-2004, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the info - I went to the aquarium website and you can see a live "beluga-cam" which was pretty neat. And in the updates section it said the baby beluga is still nursing, which made me chuckle as a nursing mom. Not sure when they wrote the update, but I think he is almost 2 years old now.

darby24
06-30-2004, 03:02 PM
That beluga cam is pretty neat, nephew J likes to sit at my computer and watch it while Raffi plays his song in the background of course. We missed the beluga show but all 6 whales are together now so I'm not sure on the nursing anymore. I'm sure they'll be some birthday party for him, maybe I should plan to go and take J (got to love student discount memberships!)