PDA

View Full Version : Kids Haircuts near Albany, NY?!

loewymartin
06-28-2004, 01:11 PM
I'm posting here because I think some folks here live vaguely near me :-) I would like to take Alia to a kids place to get her first haircut. But I can't seem to find any listed. Does anyone live within say, an hour of me and know of some place that caters to kids cuts? Thanks!

Michelle - Mom to Alia born 5/16/02

caleymama
06-28-2004, 02:00 PM
We're within an hour of Albany but I don't know of any kids places offhand. I checked the local yellow pages and didn't see any that were specifically for kids. For DD's first (and only) haircut I took her to a Fantastic Sams nearby since she needed only the slightest trim. Good luck finding someplace!

loewymartin
06-28-2004, 02:25 PM
I think that is where I'm going to end up. There is one near my house, so I will swing by there tonight to see if they really do kids cuts (i.e. have the booster seat thing for the chair etc). And if I think she'll like it will make an appointment. I've heard to go a little early so she can see other people getting their hair cut.

She has amazingly curly hair, so I think it just needs to be shaped. But it's growing at all different rates, so something needs to be done!

caleymama
06-28-2004, 03:13 PM
The one that we went to was great. The only downside was that the woman actually cutting her hair reminded me a little of Mimi on Drew Carey, which was a little scary! There was another little girl (older than DD though) in there to have her hair cut too. They did have a booster for the chair (she started out in that and then decided she was not to keen on it and ended up sitting on my lap in the chair) and since it was DD's first time they had a pre-printed certificate to fill out commemorating the first haircut with a spot to tape on some of the hair that was cut. I brought a ziploc baggie and brought it home that way instead, though. I also wanted to take some pictures and since I ended up holding DD one of the other stylists came over and took some of us while it was being cut. DD's hair is quite curly too and I just wanted it shaped a little as well. At the time (January) she wouldn't let me put anything in it to pull it back and it was so sraggly and in her eyes so we trimmed the front a little. Now we're growing that out and she finally tolerates barrettes and other hair stuff.

The trouble with places like that is that they are so hit or miss. I think checking it out in person ahead of time is a great idea. Good luck and have fun!

gour0
06-28-2004, 05:45 PM
Michelle, my sister cuts hair. :) She's at a new place now, but I could find out where if you like. She did Ben's 1st haircut.

loewymartin
06-28-2004, 06:30 PM
Is she even remotely near me?! It would be great to go to someone who understood that it was a first haircut and that Mommy's sometimes get a little sentimental about this stuff! I didn't get a chance to stop at the Fantastic Sam's today on the way home, so if you could get me the info of where she is that would be great! Thank you!