PDA

View Full Version : Do You Let Your Toddler Watch TV?

Kieransmom
06-30-2004, 08:39 AM
I want to get a feel of how many moms let their toddlers watch TV. I know they are now recommending that toddlers not watch any tv but there are times where sticking him in front of the tv is the only way I can get things done. I feel very guilty about it. What do you all do?

Michelle
Mommy to Kieran, born 5/9/03

gour0
06-30-2004, 08:43 AM
I try to limit his viewing to one 30 minute video a day. This is not always possible as I cannot keep my husband from watching tv. But, if it is just me and ds, then the tv is off. I simply don't get anything done.

AngelaS
06-30-2004, 08:59 AM
My dd has enjoyed watching Veggie Tales or Clifford since she was about 18 months old. I don't just turn the tv on and let it play, I put in something specific and let it run while she and her sister play.

kristine_elen
06-30-2004, 10:10 AM
I let Jack watch a little bit. He only watches Signing Time videos (american sign language) and Dr. Seuss videos, which seem good b/c they are just still shots of the books with a narrator (as opposed to lots of action and fast editing, which I think is part of the problem in terms of re-wiring their brains).

Marisa6826
06-30-2004, 10:25 AM
No, not just for the sake of watching TV.

Sophie does watch Baby Einstein. I put the DVDs on our laptop and she kind of watches while she plays. I do put this on if I have to make an important call, pay bills or need to shower in order to be someplace at a certain time (rather than waiting to shower during her nap). Sometimes at the end of the day, she's tired and just asks to watch it for a while, "Show?". I don't have a problem with that.

Our TV is in another room, so it's not on during the day. If we're having trouble getting her to bed and there's something *we're* watching, then we will bring her down to the den. She might glance at it for a couple minutes, but she's definitely not sitting there watching it intently.

-m

Sarah1
06-30-2004, 10:29 AM
During the week, Audrey usually watches one show in the AM, after breakfast...and then she watches Barney before bed. Some days, if it's raining and we're stuck inside all day, or I have something I really need to get done, she may watch an extra show in the afternoon. I try to limit her TV to no more than 1-2 hours a day, and I like to keep the TV off otherwise.

On the weekends, the TV is usually on more, though. My DH usually has golf or news on, but Audrey really doesn't pay much attention to it.

Jen in Chicago
06-30-2004, 10:55 AM
I confess, I am trying to get Jude to watch TV. I can be a tornado and get a lot done in the 5 minutes he will watch TV. My latest is I bought a Spot VHS video (.50 at garage sale) b/c out dining room/kitchen TV has a VHS player. Last night he sat in his highchair and watched it for 5 min. while I prepared his dinner.

amp
06-30-2004, 11:02 AM
I hate to admit this, but our TV is on most of the time. Sometimes it's on tuned to Sesame Street, or possibly a Baby Einstein video, but most often, its tuned to whatever I want to watch. My DS is only 13 mths, so he is only slightly interested in the TV, but I've seen it increasing lately and I haven't changed my habits yet. I should probably work on this!

nwaddellr
06-30-2004, 11:20 AM
i don't turn the TV on for my DS explicitly, but he does end up watching some when we're watching TV. My DH is the worst - he likes to watch a lot of TV. I've been trying to limit the TV time when DS is around to just sports as opposed to random bad daytime TV, but at night, if DS is up, we don't limit our TV time because he's around.

StaceyKim
06-30-2004, 11:49 AM
I would let DS watch up to a hour of Sesame Street or something educational like that but DS has no interest in watching tv at all. He may watch for about 10 minutes tops and that is if you have him sitting in his lap!
I don't think there is anything wrong with under 1 hour a day total.

hjdong
06-30-2004, 11:51 AM
This is funny, because I went through the same thing with Jamie (I had a day when I was sick and Jamie wouldn't watch anything and I realized I was in trouble!). He LOVES the little people videos because they're 5 minute segments with a song before, a song after, and sometimes a song in the middle.

That said, Jamie only watched t.v. Sat. nights, during "movie night," and then he sees and hour (two little people videos) with us sitting with him talking about it. For a while, my husband had the t.v. on all the time (Jamie pretty much ignored it). Then, we lost our t.v. service (problem with our satellite) for a couple of months. When we fixed the problem, we only hooked up the t.v. in our bedroom and DH doesn't seem to care. He plays a lot more with Jamie when he comes home, instead of watching t.v. and I'm not tempted to turn on the t.v. for company when I'm home. I'm really glad for the changed.

lfp2n
06-30-2004, 11:56 AM
DD doesn't watch any TV or videos/DVDs, but she's at daycare in the day where they don't have TV and its easy to occupy her with other things in the evenings and weekends. So although its a conscious decision because of all the recent stuff about TV and toddlers, its an easy one to do and I'm sure she would watch some if I was home all day.

Lucy DD 3/03

starrynight
06-30-2004, 12:03 PM
The tv never gets turned off, but the kids aren't always infront of it. I grew up with it on all day and I'm so used to the background noise I need it on. It's weird, with 3 kids you would think I have enough noise in the house LOL. But at night when just me and the baby are up I want it off and I want quiet to settle her down.

Both my older 2 are upstairs playing together and the baby is right next to me on the floor with some toys but the tv is still on 2 rooms away. Even if I shut it off dh turns it on when he is home. I do make sure the kids do other stuff like play upstairs away from the tv, sit at the table and do art stuff or go outside for a few hours every day so they don't sit infront of it non-stop. If they wanted to do that I would definitly get rid of the thing.

daisymommy
06-30-2004, 01:42 PM
All right, I'll admit it, I let Joshua watch TV (insert embarrased smile here). He watches about 1 hour of Sesame Street in the morning, then the TV goes off and we play, get out of the house, etc. In the afternoon, I watch Opera for an hour, but I've noticed that he really doesn't pay any attention to it because it's a boring, non-kid show for him. He plays with his toys all over the housem, and rarely looks at what is on the screen. The TV is turned off when it's over. At dinner time (aboout 2 hours later), I put in a Baby Einstein or Signing times video so I can get dinner made and on the table (DH isn't home yet, so there's no one to help distract him), otherwise he is whining and circling around my legs like a cat!

So, I guess all in all, he watches about 1.5-2 hours of TV a day. More than is recommended, but this is my reality--not a book study.

I hate to say this, but he is such a high maintennance, grouchy child, that sometimes the only way to get some peace is to have him watch TV or a video. I don't use it as my only method, I've tried so many things, but 30 minutes here and there when I really need it, can be a life saver!

egoldber
06-30-2004, 03:05 PM
Well DD watched almost no TV until she was about 18 months. After that she started to really enjoy it more. Since she was about 2, she has been watching 1-3 hours a day of TV depending on the day. NOw that she is almost 3, she asks to watch her favorite shows, and if it is not an appropriate time, we talk about how it isn't time for TV yet, or we will watch them after nap, or lunch or whatever. And she would ALWAYS prefer to go outside or to the pool or anywhere to watching TV.

I guess in my mind, she does not watch TV all day, and we have lots and lots of other activities. She plays a lot outside, enjoys art projects and drawing, the pool, preschool, dance class, etc. A little TV is not a big thing, IMO. Also, all the TV she does watch is TV designed for kids her age and is educational to one degree or another. All the studies that have looked at TV watching habits in kids have not looked at the types of shows that they watch. No one can tell me that an hour of Sesame Street and a half hour of Dora is going to do her any harm.

My hang-up is that I do not let her watch adult TV. I never turn the TV on for me during the day (just never got into the habit) and DH and I only watch our shows after she is in bed. I just don't want her exposed to the language and tension that is often present in adult TV.

boys2enough
06-30-2004, 04:03 PM
>I hate to say this, but he is such a high maintennance,
>grouchy child, that sometimes the only way to get some peace
>is to have him watch TV or a video. I don't use it as my only
>method, I've tried so many things, but 30 minutes here and
>there when I really need it, can be a life saver!

I am in the same boat here. And I have learned to not feel bad about it. I really do need some time OFF, even just to use the bathroom. A while back ago when G didn't watch any TV shows, he'd follow me and cling onto my leg wherever I went in the house. Often I had to carry him in one hand while cooking or vaccuming. Lately he's beginning to be intersted in shows like Teletubbies and Elmo, (before it was the Wiggles exclusively). The 30 minutes with him watching the show quietly keeps me sane. ITA with you, it can be a life saver. btw, we don't have cables and can only watch 3 channels on TV. Fortunately one is PBS for my 6 yo when he's home. G watchs tapes or DVDs only.

The thing that gets me though is that now when my DH comes home (before dinner time when I am cooking), inevitably G is watching some tape (so I can cook). Then my DH gives me grief for letting him "watch TV all day." ARGH! I'd like to see how he manages all day with the boys by himself without turning on the TV once.

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pnoodles.gif

Bethann31
06-30-2004, 04:06 PM
I don't ofen ENCOURAGE Katherine to watch tv (although I do like the baby songs videos and signing time videos) it is on most of the time at my house. I grew up with the tv on all the time as did DH. My older children have it on almost all the time. She doesn't sit and watch very often, and I don't think she misses it when it isn't on, but in our house, it's always kind of background noise.

Beth

Josh 3/90
Mollie 4/92
Jeffrey 12/94
and Katherine 6/03

vikivoly
06-30-2004, 04:24 PM
DD loves to watch tv and she has enjoyed it since she was sitting in her little bouncy seat. Not afraid to admit it, because I don't think there is anything wrong with it! :) No, I don't just plop her in front of the tv for hours, but she will watch an entire episode of Sesame Street and then I'll often turn on Dora or Blues clues and let it play in the background. She usually just stops every once in a while to watch these shows, but with Sesame Street or Veggie Tales she will just sit an watch the entire episode/DVD.

khakismom
06-30-2004, 04:33 PM
Ellen does not watch any TV really--an occasional Baby Mozart DVD.

Kathleen will usually, but not always, watch Roly Poly Olie, JoJo's Circus, and the Wiggles on Saturday morning. Depends if we have morning errands.

Sometimes for a special treat on a Friday or Saturday night, we will watch a Disney movie together.

And sometimes if she's sick, she'll watch some TV while resting on the couch.

Other than that, that's it. That's all she watches. I like to have the TV off when the girls are awake because, no matter what is on, Kathleen will literally stop playing and start watching. Now if only DH agreed with me and would turn his IndyCar and Formula1 races off... }(

deborah_r
06-30-2004, 04:40 PM
Andrea,

It's similar in our house! I have been trying to play CD's more, but right now the TV is on with the volume off and the CD is playing. Baby steps for me I guess.

I was visiting some friends 2 weeks ago, and some of them had no TV on the whole time I was there and it just seemed so QUIET! We almost always at least turn on some music when guests are over. I guess we are background noise junkies.

Kai doesn't pay much attention to the TV, but I ususlly have it on TNT from 10-1 (2 ERs and a Judging Amy) and then again 4-5 (Judging Amy) and the only thing he stops playing and looks at the TV for is commercials he recognizes and the little "TNT" ads during commercials. He also seems to recognize the opening credits to both ER and Judging Amy.

So I'm trying to cut it out. It helps that I've seen just about every ER and Judging Amy ever made. I don't keep it on TNT from 1-4 if Kai is awake because it is Law and Order and NYPD Blue, which is a little too dark for him, even with my loose standards!

Last week DH kept watching Band of Brothers (on HBO On Demand) with Kai around, and there is really no stopping my DH unless I want to hear him complain and get cranky. But I tried to keep Kai distracted with toys.

candybomiller
06-30-2004, 04:42 PM
I'll admit it. I'm a horrible Mom. Matt loves tv. His favorite movies are Nemo and Monsters Inc. He loves the Wiggles. And it gives Mommy some down time, which she desperately needs.

Throw the bad Mommy book at me. I'm ready for it!

abigailsmom
06-30-2004, 06:38 PM
If we are confessing... here's mine. My kiddo is a Disney movie junkie. She watches 1 disney movie (more or less) every morning. I do not in any way feel bad about this. She enjoys the music and the movies with animals are her favorites. We are also a tv on alot house, but the only time she gets into the tv is if there is a good bit of music (to dance to of course), American Idol addict, or if she sees a Wow-wow (dog). It keeps us both happy and harmonious!

Throw the book at me! :)

Elilly
06-30-2004, 06:47 PM
DH gets DD ready in the AM when I'm already at work and I know that she watches "high-5" on TLC b/c she loves music. Then she usually gets to watch Clifford in the afternoon while I'm getting dinner ready. I was raised in a house where the TV or radio was always on even if no one was really watching/listening to anything. So, I have made a serious effort to not fall into the same trap with DD. DH and I now have an 8:00 rule for TV. No TV on in the evening unless of course it happens to be sports, I still can't get him to give that up before 8:00. We really needed to do this b/c I often found DD watching the news which sounds good but I don't want her to grow up always hearing about war and murder.

JElaineB
06-30-2004, 07:56 PM
DS watches plenty of TV. Yes, I'm willing to admit it! Lately all he wants to watch is Signing Time or Oobi (on Noggin), though. He doesn't pay a whole lot of attention when anything else is on. The first thing he does in the morning is sign the letter "L" (for Leah) to watch a Signing Time DVD. He likes the TV on though while he is playing, even if he isn't watching it. But we also spend time in the dining room, upstairs and outside where there are no TV's. I think when his grandmother watches him (Mon/Wed right now) she has it on most of the time too.

Jennifer
mom to Jacob 9/27/02

Karenn
07-01-2004, 12:37 AM
Holly-
I sent you an email, but I'm not sure I had the right address! Let me know if you don't get it!

jubilee
07-01-2004, 01:35 AM
My DS only will watch tv if he is sitting in my lap in the rocking chair. So we watch one episode of the Wiggles a day, and on most days also a Signing Times video. I don't have any problem with toddlers watching an hour or two of tv- as long as it is geared to that age group.

kijip
07-01-2004, 02:13 AM
No TV for Toby at home. BUT there is a TV on in the background at my mom's house (she watches him on a regular basis). So far he has paid no mind and he can't see it from his play area anyway (the couch is between him and the TV and my mom watches him or watches the TV from a chair on the side while keeping an eye on him). While we don't have a TV presently (by choice- I don't like TV much) I am not judgmental about tots and TV. I am pretty dubious about the recent studies and I think moms should not beat themselves up over things that help them out so long as they are not parking their kids in front of the TV every waking minute! We all do what we have to do!

suribear
07-01-2004, 02:46 AM
I'm with Beth. I don't see how the right programming, in moderation, can be a bad thing. You can't tell me that Sponge Bob is equivalent to Sesame Street :)

I do try to limit it to one hour/day unless dd is sick or I am really stressed out and need a break! She does a lot of other stuff.

I grew up as a major couch potato (unrestricted TV and junk food. ugh ugh ugh) so maybe that's why I'm a bit particular about this. At least I also loved to read so I spent a lot of time reading, too :)

Kris

luvbeinmama
07-01-2004, 02:46 AM
Nope, no tv here, we don't even have cable hooked up. DS does watch an occassional movie/video, but not much at all. Sometimes we go weeks without turning it on at all. Now that our backyard is more kid friendly, often they both run around out there while I make dinner. We just make do without it.

tippy
07-01-2004, 03:24 AM
Just wanted to throw this out their. You posted your DS was waking up a lot in pm right? I remember reading something recently (sorry can't remember where) that tv before bed can reset a baby's clock so to speak and put them into an awake state. Sorry, I know you didn't ask for advice in your other post and I hope I'm not giving you info you don't want. It just popped into my head while reading your post and I thought I'd pass the info along for whatever it's worth

tippy
07-01-2004, 03:24 AM
Just wanted to throw this out their. You posted your DS was waking up a lot in pm right? I remember reading something recently (sorry can't remember where) that tv before bed can reset a baby's clock so to speak and put them into an awake state. Sorry, I know you didn't ask for advice in your other post and I hope I'm not giving you info you don't want. It just popped into my head while reading your post and I thought I'd pass the info along for whatever it's worth :-)

jk3
07-01-2004, 08:09 AM
My DS watches a Wiggles DVD in the morning so I can take a shower + get us ready for the day. At night a few days a week he watches Wheel of Fortune. I don't know why or even how this started but he loves this show. He claps when the wheel is spinning + "talks" to the TV. It's strange because he is constantly on the go but he always sits and watches this show intently. =)

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

nwaddellr
07-01-2004, 02:43 PM
>Just wanted to throw this out their. You posted your DS was
>waking up a lot in pm right? I remember reading something
>recently (sorry can't remember where) that tv before bed can
>reset a baby's clock so to speak and put them into an awake
>state.

Interesting - and I don't mind the info. I just wasn't looking for advice on how to get him to go back to sleep without nursing at night (because that just involves MUCH crying). I'll try to monitor my TV watching at night a little more.

sntm
07-01-2004, 05:22 PM
One of the (few) advantages of having Jack in daycare is he watches no TV during the day. Maybe once or twice a week, I'll turn on Stanley or JoJo for 15 minutes to occupy him while I am getting dressed. And he will watch a Signing Times or Baby Einstein video once or twice a week (often just 15 minutes or so, so I can trim nails, etc.) We occasionally have the TV on for us, though I am trying to break this habit as that is considered by many experts to be worse to have adult TV on, whether they are actively watching it or not.

I grew up in a TV-on-all-the-time household, and we still watch an enormous amount of TV when I go home to my mother's. I'm hoping Jack won't be the same.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03
mama to Jack 6/6/03

friedmana1
07-01-2004, 07:07 PM
On average, I let Leah watch one 30 minute video every other day. She will only watch Baby Mozart/van Gogh or any of the signing time videos. She won't watch anything else - she's just not interested. However, interestingly enough, she used to sit still for the whole video and watch intently. Recently, she likes to get up, walk over the the tv and point at the different things on the screen.

Aimee
Mother to Leah 10/26/02

sadie427
07-01-2004, 11:38 PM
No TV for Sammy at home, at least no baby videos or shows--occasionally on the weekend my husband will have baseball on in the background and I won't bug him to turn it off, but otherwise no TV at home for Sammy. They occasionally watch Spanish videos at his daycare, maybe about once a week. I just have not found it to be necessary, and then with the recent study (which I read and found to be fairly well-done) I personally would rather avoid it. I understand that there will be more pressure as he gets older but I do plan to wait until he's at least two for any kind of regular tv watching. I hope I don't sound strict/annoying etc, and I do not think less of anyone who lets their toddlers/babies watch TV, but it seems like the tv-watchers are in the majority on this post (and in general on this board) so I wanted to chime in.