PDA

View Full Version : What Happened to My Good Sleeper?

Raidra
06-30-2004, 05:39 PM
This post is subtitled, "Is This a Temper Tantrum?"

So, for the past month or so Colwyn has been putting himself to sleep for naps and bedtime. He's done really well, barely even fussing. We waited until he showed us he was ready for it, so I know I didn't push him into it.

The last week or two, for his last nap, he occasionally refuses to fall asleep and screams bloody murder. I go in every minute or two (I don't wait five) if he's screaming to put him back down (he stands up) and give him his binky. After an hour, we give up. Why is he doing this all of a sudden?

He gets about 11 hours of sleep a night, and only naps for about 45 minutes 3-4 times a day. Yesterday he got 10 hours of sleep at night and a total of 1.5 hours in naps. How is 11.5 hours of sleep enough for him? Last night he slept 10 hours again, and so far he's napped a smidge over two hours.

He's in his crib right now, screaming even as I type this. When I go in, he doesn't even calm down to see me. If I pick him up and he gets a glimpse of his toys, he stops screaming immediately. So, is he throwing a temper tantrum because he wants to play?

Please tell me what is going on with my ex-good-sleeper.

miki
06-30-2004, 06:36 PM
Maybe he is trying to drop a nap? When DD went from 3 to 2, it took over a month. At one point she was not quite ready to be awake longer but refused to take the last nap.

Jacksonvol
06-30-2004, 06:45 PM
Ohh, this is happening at our house with bedtimes. DD naps well during the day, but appears to wake during the night @ two hour intervals screaming. We have narrowed it down to a milestone and/or separation anxiety. She was born 9/5/04 and has started cruising. When she wakes she does not want to eat, she wants physical contact. Lately, that means sleeping on top of a parent. I think she just gets freaked out and needs cuddling. I don't know if it is the same with your little guy, but it is frustrating.

Lisa

Raidra
06-30-2004, 09:00 PM
Well, he's been pulling up in his crib for a few weeks now, so I don't know if that counts as a milestone. Other times he's definitely wanted cuddles from me, but today he wanted nothing to do with me. Shortly after posting originally, I gave up and took him out of his crib and immediately put him (standing) in front of his activity table. He gave me such an evil little smile, I was sure that he was just screaming so he could play. It would've been cute if I had a guarantee that he wouldn't do it again. ;)