PDA

View Full Version : OT: Naples, FL

jenmcadams
07-01-2004, 05:57 PM
Can anyone help me with information (both good and bad) on living in Naples, FL? We currently live in the foothills west of Denver (Golden, CO) and love it! But, my husband has been running a small software company for the past three years and is in the process of selling out to a much larger company based in Naples. There are some job options that might allow us to stay in CO, but generally the most interesting positions and the best options for his long term career are at their headquarters in Naples. I'm a SAHM but spent enough time in the workforce to know that going to Naples is probably the right move for my DH. He's ok with moving (although we love our house and property), but is mainly worried about Abbie and I. I have a ton of friends and professional contacts here...many of my friends have similar education/career backgrounds to mine and have decided to stay home as well, so I feel so lucky that I've had that. I'm definitely worried about moving to a smaller community with a less diverse economy where it's less likely I'll meet SAHMs that I can bond with. I'm also a little worried about FL generally...I've really only ever spent time in Miami and Orlando on business and in Orlando and the Keys on vacation. My general impresion of FL is cookie cutter houses, geriatrics and alligators (I know, I know I'm overgeneralizing).

If anyone knows the area and can give me any information you feel like posting (or email/PM me), I'd really appreciate it.

Jen

jk3
07-01-2004, 06:01 PM
Our friends moved there from NYC a few years ago and initially they were hesitant about the move. They love it there! they enjoy the weather and the amenities. Their biggest complaint was housing costs but that seems to be a complaint in many areas. They do not have kids yet but apparently all of their friends do. They rave about the people they've met. They also felt they'd lose touch with friends + family but most love to visit them in Florida. Hope that helps!

Jenn
DS 6/3/03

Marisa6826
07-01-2004, 06:25 PM
Well, my Mother lives there. I don't know if that's a pro or con for you moviing to that part of Florida ;) .

I'm not a fan of heat (or Fla in general) but Naples is pretty upscale. They have a large arts community. It's also my understanding that there are lots of young families moving there.

I'd be happy to give you my Mother's email addy. She's for-EVER singing the praises of her beloved community. She's a member of several boards and charities, so I'm sure she could hook you up with other women.

Let me know

-m

jenmcadams
07-02-2004, 04:11 PM
:) Thanks both of you for the info! I may eventually take you up on your mom's email address offer, but no need to bother anyone too much until the job offer is finalized.