PDA

View Full Version : Question for those who have build one of the swingsets sold at Lowes/Home Depot...

ethansmom
07-01-2004, 07:22 PM
This should probably be posted in the Toddler section, but this gets so much more traffic and we are supposed to start building our set tomorrow!

DS is only 1, so we will only be using the swing and possibly the slide for the next couple of years. I'm wondering if we need to build the climbing wall this year, or if we can wait a while. My DH HATES to do this kind of project, so if anything could be put off, he'd be so much happier. BTW, we will be building the Competitor 541 model: http://www.swing-n-slide.com/res_combo.htm The climbing wall I'm referring to is on the left.

Many thanks for any advice!

ETClarify due to my mommy brain! I'm actually wondering if it is possible to only build the main section and then add the climbing wall later. I don't want to skip the wall only to find out it's a huge PIA to add down the road. Thanks!

Karenn
07-01-2004, 07:47 PM
That swing set looks like something my son would love! He's just turned two and would be all over the climbing wall! We've visited a couple of playsets that have that sort of thing and he loves it. He probably would have been ready for it around 18 months. He seems to be a little more of a physical risk taker than some other kids his age though, so depending on how active your little one is, you might be able to hold off on the climbing wall part.

boys2enough
07-02-2004, 12:40 AM
Hi, ours looks similar to yours! sans the climbing wall though. But it does look like that the wall is not structurally important to be there, so I am inclined to think that you can put off the wall now. But will you have a nice dry place to store the lumber for the wall? (I am assuming that it is like ours: they deliver pieces of lumber all measured and cut, your DH "ONLY" need to assemble it?)

My DH also hates any projects, period. It is not that he is not handy, it's just that he has NO patience. And if anything goes wrong, esp. fuzzy/stupid instructions, then he blows off a fuse while he's working on it. I tend to stay away when he's working. lol. But if we were building the exact same set as yours, I'd "urge" him to finish the climbing wall now. It seems the least complicated part of the project. In addition, with my DH, if he does not do it NOW, I have no idea WHEN it will ever get done. Your DS may start climbing sooner than you expected. lol. Depending on how you position your playset, the wall may also serve as shade for the "sand pit" area.

BTW, your dh will need someone else to help him erect the frames for the fort once he finishes buidling the frames: basically lift the frames up from horizontal position on the ground and then hold them in place while he drills the screws in. You don't need somebody big and strong for this. DH and I built our play set with some minimal assitance from my girl friend. HTH.

Here is a pic with my oldest when we were building the fort for him 4 years ago. :)

Cheers, Lin
Mom to 2 wild boys
D 3/98
G 11/02

http://instagiber.net/smiliesdotcom/kao/otn/pnoodles.gif

http://www.windsorpeak.com/dc/user_files/8584.jpg

ethansmom
07-02-2004, 08:42 AM
What a cutie! He looks so excited to be "helping" with his new fort!

Thanks so much for your reply! Actually, we have to cut the lumber ourselves...plus, after spending all day at Lowes picking out the lumber and getting it home, I realized we forgot to get the lumber for the climbing wall! I think DH might really blow a gasket if I tell him we have to go back for more lumber, rent the delivery truck etc! Anyhow, thanks so much for your help!!