PDA

View Full Version : OT: Can anyone recommend an (adult-size) Mattress?

bunnisa
07-03-2004, 02:33 AM
DH and I have started looking for a new mattress. And we're overwhelmed by all the details (makes picking a crib mattress seem like a piece of cake!)

I liked the Tempur-pedic, but DH thinks it may be a bit too firm. I don't like that you kind of slide off the sides since there's no structure to them.

I know there was a foam mattress at the Marriott in Ft. Lauderdale that was AMAZING!!! We still talk about it, almost a year later.

Can anyone recommend a really great, non-pillowtop mattress? We're willing to spend a lot on this since we're looking at it as a long-term investment in that very precious commodity, SLEEP.

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric
6/03

american_mama
07-03-2004, 09:41 AM
I bought mattresses in 1995 and 2001, and both times tried to do research, but decided that there were precious few objective measures for a good mattress. Maybe coil count matters, but maybe not if you really need to know the strength of those coils, and almost nobody tells you how to judge that. Maybe foam density matters, maybe it's the batting that matters... and again, how do you measure it and compare? Etc. So I picked a mattress based on price and comfort.

I bought the more recent mattress in the Washington DC area at Mattress Dicounters, which has a ton of stores. I discovered accidentally that the stores compete against each other when each location I went to would offer to beat the price of the other store (even though they were all part of the same chain). It was like buying a car. So I got the lowest offer, went back to the first store which I had also liked best, and said I'd buy from them on the spot if they could beat the other offer. The store beat it by a lot, and I was extremely happy. The brand was their store brand, so perhaps they had lots of room to maneuver on price compared to a name brand like Beautyrest.

If you loved that mattress at Marriott, I would call the hotel and just ask if they use one standard mattress in all their rooms and what that is. I read an article a year or two ago about some hotels making deals with companies to advertise their products, like certain comforters and mattresses. Hotel customers could then buy those products, like a virtual store for the big ticket items in a hotel room.

Marisa6826
07-03-2004, 11:38 AM
We have the Tempurpedic and LOOOOOOVE it. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Oh, and it does kind of "break in" after a bit. Ours isn't as hard as it originally was.

-m

mamicka
07-03-2004, 12:03 PM
We have a Select Comfort or Sleep Number bed & love it. You can get it with or without pillowtop.

Tondi G
07-03-2004, 02:15 PM
from all the research I did I found that Stearns adn Foster got great reviews. they have been making mattresses for a LONG time and the quality is fabulous.... they are expensive though! You want one with the foam encasing.... keeps the sides sturdy... no rolling off the sides of these puppies!!!!

They just changed the names/models for 2004.... I think they are all now No Flip necessary mattresses..... not positive though! I looked on epinions and such when looking at mattresses. we were all set to buy a beautyrest and then I read a lot of bad reviews.... changed our minds!

The best thing to do is go into a store in comfy clothes (easy to slip on and off shoes) and spend some time on the mattresses..... lay in all positions and see if it is supportive enough for you etc. It is definetly worse than shopping for a crib mattress I agree!!!!

http://www.us-mattress.com/index.html

Check out this website for info on comfort vs support etc.... I found it helpful!

Good Luck

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01

papal
07-03-2004, 04:38 PM
My dh did tons and tons of research.. we finally got a memory foam mattress from Knox Foam.. i cannot tell you how much we love it!!! Ofcourse, just as we thought we would be sleeping well, miss leela decided to change our plans. :P

urquie
07-04-2004, 03:19 AM
englander mattresses are amazing!!! now that we have one i don't sleep very good when i'm away from home. they are expensive, but well worth it (latex inner too - good for allergies!) my mom just replaced my parents 25/30+year old englander with another. so they last a long time! they aren't carried at too many stores so you'd have to call around or google it. and they are one of those products that don't go on sale. good luck!

bunnisa
07-05-2004, 12:51 PM
Thank you SO much everyone for your replies! They are all extremely helpful!

Knew I could count on you! There are a lot of recreational researchers here ! :D

Bethany
It's a Boy!
William Eric
6/03