PDA

View Full Version : OT: Home waxing suggestions?

janeybwild
07-04-2004, 12:29 PM
I recently got treated to a professional leg wax, and despite the momentary discomfort, love the way my legs felt after. But, I certainly can't afford to keep that luxury up! So, has anyone tried home waxing remedies? I once had a disastrous experience with that Nads (sp?) stuff from an infomercial...they made it look so easy! But I was thinking that some genius out there must have invented a product that actually works at home. Any good or bad experiences with these products? TIA!

cuca_
07-04-2004, 02:47 PM
Janey -

I have a One Touch personal roll on waxer. It's a small plastic container with a cord that contains two roll-ons - one small and one big. I love it. I purchased it at Rite-Aid I believe. I think you can also find it at Eckerd's. It's great. I usually get my thights and bikini waxed in the summer. I also wax my eyebrows. I often have it done at the salon, but lately I have been pressed for time, so I have done it myself. I do a decent job. Not wonderful, but decent enough to wear a swimsuit at the beach. I find that I am much better at waxing my eyebrows. What I like about it is that it is not as messy as other stuff I have tried.

I do use baby powder before waxing, and keep some baby oil around to deal with the excess wax. Also, I find that they don't give you enough papers, so I buy them from a beauty supply. I get big ones for my legs and small ones for the face.

Hope this helps.

Carmen

papal
07-04-2004, 04:20 PM
janey, i like the nair..but it is similar to Nads.. i had no issues with Nads though..what exactly went wrong??!!

entttc
07-04-2004, 07:38 PM
I've tried most of them- the real waxes (avoid- they work the best, but what a mess!) the sugar-based products (easy clean-up, but don't work as well) and the Nads. I'm afraid the nads is the best of them. No heating, good depilation, easy clean-up, and great applicators. Sorry.

-entttc

janeybwild
07-05-2004, 10:56 AM
Thanks Carmen, I'll see if I can find this and give it a whirl.

janeybwild
07-05-2004, 11:04 AM
I'm still shuddering at the memory ;) . They really made it look so easy on TV. I ripped open the package when it came, and followed the directions. It was a pain to spread on, very thick and gloopy, so I heated it in the micro (big mistake). A burn or two later, and it was finally on. Then, I couldn’t get it off! It was literally stuck on. The strips to remove it wouldn't stick, I think I had it on too thick at that point. Into the shower to scrub it off. Nothing I tried seemed to work. I found the stuff on my furniture and floor for weeks after. I threw the whole lot in the bin that night. That taught me about the power of infomercials...well actually, it took the wonder mop to do that...but now I have learnt my lesson! Thanks for asking :) If Carmen's suggestion doesn't work, I'll stick with the razor.

californiamom
07-05-2004, 11:23 PM
For my legs and underarm I use a Philips electric shaver -- Satinelle. http://www.consumer.philips.com/global/b2c/dap/catalog/subcategory.jhtml;jsessionid=3OBY2KF3V5FGXJ0RMRERX 23HKFSEKHAW?divId=1&groupId=HERBODYANDBEAUTY&catId=HEB_BODYCARE&subCatId=BO_EPI_SATINELLE

For the bikini area I use Brazilian Surgi-Wax. http://www.aiibeauty.com/surgicare2.html
It's easier and less messy than any other I have tried so far, and the wax doesn't leave residue. I buy mine at Walgreens.

HTH!
Ana