PDA

View Full Version : OT - Looking for a Macaroni Salad recipe

caleymama
07-05-2004, 12:41 PM
I'd like to make a macaroni salad later on today and have tried a few recipes in the past but nothing has been outstanding. Anyone have a recipe they'd like to share? BTW, I'm looking for a mayonnaise based macaronie salad as opposed to a "pasta salad."

Thanks!

Marisa6826
07-05-2004, 03:32 PM
This one was my grandmother's. I don't have actual measurements, but I love it.

One pound pasta (I usually use elbows or something small)

One can tunafish (drained)

About 1/2-3/4 of a regular sized jar of mayo (give or take for your taste) - If it's getting too dry or gooey, toss in some milk

1/2 a jar of drained chopped green olives with pimentos

Couple of stalks of celery, chopped (if no celery, you can use celery seeds)

Two large carrots, chopped (you can use shredded ones)

Small chopped onion (I don't always throw in the onion - I then adjust the vinegar and relish instead)

Two capfuls of white vinegar

Two teaspoons of sweet relish + a teaspoon or so of dill pickle juice

Salt and pepper to taste

You might have to tweak the recipe according to how it tastes. I'm writing this from memory ;)

It makes a great cold meal in and of itself.

-m

caleymama
07-07-2004, 07:44 AM
Thank you Marisa! I didn't see this in time to make on Monday but I will file it away for future reference - it looks great!!

daisymommy
07-07-2004, 02:08 PM
I like the one on the back of the Hellman's Mayo. jar. I haev it cut out somehwere, but I'm sure it's probably on their website as well.

proggoddess
07-07-2004, 05:00 PM
I'm more of a "don't have a set recipe" kind of gal, but my secret ingredient is brown mustard. Gives the salad a little spice and zip that you can't get with mayo alone.

Also, celery is the other key ingredient. Macaroni salad always needs some crunch to it.